Windows 10: Help with TestDisk, fixing master file table

Discus and support Help with TestDisk, fixing master file table in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My laptop crashed last week and it seems to have messed up the hard drive. Chkdsk says the master file table is corrupted and Windows couldn't recover... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mz219, Jul 20, 2016.

1. mz219 Win User

Help with TestDisk, fixing master file table

My laptop crashed last week and it seems to have messed up the hard drive. Chkdsk says the master file table is corrupted and Windows couldn't recover it, so I wanted to try using TestDisk to repair it since I've read other people have had success with that. But when I go to Advanced File Utilities, the bottom menu only gives the options "type," "image creation." and "quit"; I don't see the "boot" option that's supposed to bring me to "Repair MFT." Can anyone help me figure out how to try and repair the MFT? I'm using the Windows 64-bit version of TestDisk that says some features are missing, is this why I don't see that option?

Thank you for any help you can provide!!
    (Not sure if this is in the right forum section, let me know if I should move it somewhere else)

:)

mz219, Jul 20, 2016
  2. cy414 Win User

Secondary HDD being strange after update

tested again with different settings, and i can now find the files through testdisk, BUT the master file table and mft mirror is being reported as fubar and cant be recovered.

and there is my problem, the AE update has messed up the mft on the drive along with whatever else it did.

solutions?

cy414, Jul 20, 2016
  3. Yash_5693 Win User
    External Hard Drive not working| ISSUES -----> The disk structure is corrupt and not readable | directory is invalid

My external harddrive is not opening, message like disk structure is corrupt and not readable and some times it says directory is invalid.

i have tried cmd with chkdsk /f /r /c

butevery time it states that

"unable to determine volume version and state. chkdsk aborted"

i also tried chkdsk scan and spotfix. but it says

The type of the file is NTFS.

Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover master file table from the disk .

Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

while using chkdsk scan it says

Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data.

A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive.

Yash_5693, Jul 20, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

I don't know TestDisk well but I'd guess you are selecting a partition , (with a drive letter eg C: \ ) rather than the Disk which would be something like Disk /dev/sda

Kbird, Jul 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Help with TestDisk, fixing master file table - Similar Threads - Help TestDisk fixing

2. Why do web browsers work with NTFS Master File Table?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do web browsers work with NTFS Master File Table?: Hi,I noticed in Resource Monitor/DISKthat web browsers enjoy working with NTFS Master File Table.I would like to understand why, what for?Regards Matjung...
  3. A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C, The Master File Table...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C, The Master File Table...: A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C:.The Master File Table MFT contains a corrupted file record. The file reference number is 0x10000000238a8. The name of the file is...
  4. A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C, The Master File Table...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C, The Master File Table...: A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C:.The Master File Table MFT contains a corrupted file record. The file reference number is 0x10000000238a8. The name of the file is...
  5. A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C, The Master File Table...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows loading slowly - C:\@MsftNTFS Master File Table

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows loading slowly - C:\@MsftNTFS Master File Table: Hello, My computer is showing 100% disk usage. C:\@MsftNTFS Master File Table is shown in task manager - resource managers. It is at 100% It then subsides after about 5 minutes. Any ideas what is going on? Windows 10 Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042 Thanks, V...
  7. The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is...: I need help, every time I open my laptop up, it keeps on scanning and fixing for drive C: but it doesn't really fix it. I tried running chkdsk on cmd manually and it shows this Texts: The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect....
  8. Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed: Hello. Is there any relation to access speed and $MFT size? I am wondering because when you have one big partition only (C drive) the $MFT can grow pretty huge. I have seen $MFT sizes ranging from 600 to 1000MB in size. Is the $MFT loaded all the time in memory? Does its...
  9. Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.: I get this error message when I try to fix a hard drive that have not accessible problem with CHKDSK Command anyone have a solution C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk H: /F The type of file system is NTFS. Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover master file...
  10. The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.: CHKDSK C: reports the following: The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows has checked the file system and found problems. Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair. After running...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix corrupt master file table with testdisk

2. test disk repair master file table