Windows 10: Help with this result using Powershell to fix start button

Discus and support Help with this result using Powershell to fix start button in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I run the Powershell command that is supposed to fix the Start button fail (as well as Cortansa etc) and I got this message that I don't know how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by llanita, Mar 11, 2016.

1. llanita Win User

Help with this result using Powershell to fix start button

I run the Powershell command that is supposed to fix the Start button fail (as well as Cortansa etc) and I got this message that I don't know how to interpret.

I made sure that Windows Firewall was running too.

'Windows cannot install package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.1_1.1.23118.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe because it has version1.1.23118.0. A higher version 1.1.23406.0 of this package is already installed.
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 04071f03-7b98-0002-d492-0904987bd101 in the Event Log or use
    the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 04071f03-7b98-0002-d492-0904987bd101
    At line:1 char:38
    + ... | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand'

No idea what that says lol

:)

llanita, Mar 11, 2016

2. Win10 - No Start Button - No PowerShell - HELP!!!

I had tried all of this before. None of it worked. I was able to finally create a second user but still had the same issues with that account. Managed to run a Win10 install/upgrade off a USB drive after logging in. Don't know why that worked this time.
    Earlier attempts only gave me a repair option that would wipe out installed software. This seems to have fixed the issue for me though I'm fearful it will arise again.

Cornelius Jenkin, Mar 11, 2016
  3. Win10 - No Start Button - No PowerShell - HELP!!!

So I recently upgraded to Win10 and it had been working just fine. Then suddenly clicking the Start Menu does nothing. I've been researching this. The potential solutions were to delete corrupted AppLocker files (there are no files in AppLocker directory),
    run various commands from PowerShell (which just blinks when I try to access it, no window). I've made a new admin user and still can't access the Start Menu. In fact I can't open Chrome and a few other apps. This old version of Firefox is the only reason
    I'm online.

When I go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu, it detects my system as Win8.1 (no idea why) and I've tried to download the

Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3093266 x64
    which won't install, saying it's not applicable to my system.

I'm trying to avoid having to wipe out and reinstall all my software. I do not have a restore point I can go back to and I've not installed anything recently. I have recently removed AVG as it was expired and asking me to upgrade. Removal was a headache
    and required several passes with their removal tool and Ccleaner to remove the dead registry keys. That's really the only change that was made. I wonder if that screwed me.

Anyone have any suggestions other than to nuke?

UPDATE: I just looked to see if I still have the recover win 7 option through the control panel and it seems to be gone. I'd revert to a half functioning Win7 over a not at all functioning Win10.

Cornelius Jenkin, Mar 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, since build 10586 / 1511 (November update) the Powershell commands typically used for that break apps. (Typically users see an @ sign in the Win 10 start menu before each app name after running the command and they don't work).

Hence the usual solution for the initial problem you report is this:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This will keep all your programs and most settings, leaving system restore off.

Before such a major change (= installing the November version of Win 10) you are strongly recommended to create a system image at least using Win 10's Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and preferably use a 3rd party imaging program e.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

Disk imaging has so many advantages as a backup and allowing you to restore your system without tech help.

dalchina, Mar 11, 2016
  5. llanita Win User
    Has this repair install been known to work though? to get the Start button to work properly?

llanita, Mar 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Yes - search this forum

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Help with this result using Powershell to fix start button - Similar Threads - Help result using

2. DISM cleanup error in PowerShell- related to Start button not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM cleanup error in PowerShell- related to Start button not working: After the most recent Windows 10 update installed 11/27/23 my Start button no longer works. I have been trying to fix the issue in PowerShell since restarting both my computer and Windows Explorer has not resolved the issue. When I run PowerShell, specifically the...
  3. HOW to fix START button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOW to fix START button: How to fix enable Start button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-start-button/d4006070-7e65-4f4a-be93-083fed011170
  4. HOW to fix START button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW to fix START button: How to fix enable Start button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-start-button/d4006070-7e65-4f4a-be93-083fed011170
  5. HOW to fix START button

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Fix for start button not working

Fix for start button not working: There are many fixes available for this problem, but most of them fail because:1. The "Start" process is not listed in Task Manager part of the problem2. Winkey doesn't work - most likely for the same reason.3. The "TaskView" icon hangs most things up after first use.4. Apps...
  7. cant use start button

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cant use start button: cant use start button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-use-start-button/8be693c6-5926-46ed-8352-bc1546d7d7a6
  8. Start Button, Cortana and powershell nnot working

Start Button, Cortana and powershell nnot working: Hello, my start button, cortana and powershell are not working, I have tried several manipulations here and there but the problem persists, help please...
  9. Simple Fix for Start button not working

Simple Fix for Start button not working: Several days ago my Start button stopped working. After seeing the myriad numbers of posts on this topic, and trying several of the recommended fixes (restart, system restore, driver reinstalls, etc.) without luck, I discovered a simple fix from Settings that enabled the...
  10. Missing PowerShell on r-click start button

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing PowerShell on r-click start button: I have seen the fix for this somewhere on 10F, but I can't find it. Right click on start button shows context menu, but on mine the PowerShell commands are missing. If I uncheck the option in taskbar properties/navigation, I get the 2 cmd prompt options, but if check the...