Windows 10: Help with Windows 10 start menu.

Discus and support Help with Windows 10 start menu. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Education and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my start menu to look like the one on my other Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by zipper, Nov 22, 2016.

1. zipper Win User

Help with Windows 10 start menu.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Education and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my start menu to look like the one on my other Windows 10 machine.

My start menu currently looks like this:

Help with Windows 10 start menu. [​IMG]

I want it to look like this:

Help with Windows 10 start menu. [​IMG]

Anyone know how to do this? Ive spent hours trying to get it and cant seem to figure it out. Any information would be great!

:)

zipper, Nov 22, 2016

2. Installed Windows 10 - but the videos stall especially with You Tube

I would love to have the ability to answer your question, however I'm not sure what browser was used. I had access to videos including before the Windows 10 upgrade and now I don't. I'm also unable to see my personal videos from my laptop.

With the updates, I'm not sure where to go to apply your suggestions?
    In real need of help.

Help with update 10, Nov 22, 2016
  3. Gerry C J Cornell, Nov 22, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

@zipper, welcome to TenForums!

Your new start menu is the redesigned layout introduced in the Anniversary Update (version 1607). Your other start menu is the one for the previous version 1511. Run Winver on each to confirm that they are indeed running different versions of Windows 10. There's no way to go back to the old design of Start. You're either going to have to adapt to the new layout (as I have done) or install something like Classic Shell to get a 'Windows 7 look-alike' Start.

On the new Start, click the 'hamburger' icon top left (three horizontal lines) to expand the icons down the far left to show their full names. This will look more similar to the old layout you were familiar with. Note there's now no 'All Apps' - this has now been promoted to be an open list of all apps immediately accessible from a single click on Start.

5. zipper Win User
    Ohhh okay. I guess I didn't know they completely changed the start menu with the update. I guess I'll have to adapt to this one then. Do you know by chance to recover all the programs that were in that list? I accidentally deleted the "Programs" folder from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and now all the program shortcuts are gone. They are not in the recycle bin as well.

zipper, Nov 22, 2016
  6. zipper Win User
    @Bree, thank you for replying. I guess I will have to just adapt to the new layout.

Also, I accidentally deleted the "Programs" folder from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu which as a bunch of shortcuts in them. Is there anyway to get this back? They are not in the recycle bin.

zipper, Nov 22, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    @zipper Do you have a Restore Point you can go back to? Type RESTORE POINT in the Search box next to Start. You'll get 'Create a restore point - Control panel' in the results. Click this and click its 'System Restore...' button to see if you have.

8. JBGoode Win User

How can I get 6 tiles across like that on the Start Menu? I can only seem to create a 4 column wide block and cannot get my menu to expand beyond that. Is it a limitation of laptop display vs. desktop display or limitation on latest update?

JBGoode, Nov 22, 2016
  9. zipper Win User
    @JBGoode, if you go to Settings>Personalization>Then click Start on the left, make sure you have "Show More Tiles" enabled. Let me know if this helps.

zipper, Nov 22, 2016
  10. JBGoode Win User
    Thanks, I do have it enabled but that never helped. I can only pin 4 medium sized tiles across and can't seem to make it wider no matter what I do so I end up having to scroll down if I have too many tiles pinned.

I thought I read somewhere that 4 is the limit but I always see screenshots that contradict this so I've been thinking it's a limitation based on the display I'm using.

JBGoode, Nov 22, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    Yes @JBGoode, 4 (or 8 small tiles) is the maximum number of tiles in a column of tiles, but you can have two columns. Hover your mouse over the right edge of the Start menu, it become the 'horizontal arrows' pointer. You can click and drag the right edge further across the screen to get two columns of tiles.

12. JBGoode Win User
    I've tried that more times than I can count and it doesn't get any wider. *Smile

JBGoode, Nov 23, 2016
  13. Bree New Member

That's odd - it should work. A few questions:

What version of Windows 10 are you running? Run Winver to find out (you can use WinKey+R). Mine says: version 1607, (OS build 14393.447).

Can you click and drag the vertical height of the Start Menu?

What is the horizontal resolution of your screen? Look in Settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings. Mine is 1366, wide enough for two columns of 4 tiles. Set at 1024 I can only get two columns if they are 3 tiles wide. Any resolution lower than that isn't wide enough for two columns.

14. JBGoode Win User
    I'm on version 1607, resolution is 1366x768, and yes I can change the height *Smile

I don't think I've ever had the capability to make it wider than 4 tiles. I've had Windows 10 since it was released and only used the start menu briefly at the beginning and I'm fairly certain I only had one column of four tiles. I didn't really like the way the tiles looked so I unpinned them all and rarely use the Start Menu. Recently I decided to give it another try but wanted it wider and have had no luck doing so.

It's not really that big of a deal to me, I was more curious than anything. I'm not really a fan of tiles anyway and would probably end up unpinning them all.*Wink

JBGoode, Nov 23, 2016
  15. JBGoode Win User
    Wow, I just solved my own issue. I dragged it vertically to it's highest point and grabbed it near the top edge and was able to drag it wider. I think it was just me.....my touchpad is tricky and I'm not sure I ever tried it with a mouse.

JBGoode, Nov 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Help with Windows 10 start menu. - Similar Threads - Help start menu

2. Windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 start menu: How do I get the windows 10 start menu on windows 11 22h2? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu/26106aac-176e-4cb5-af93-b3c2659ef369
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu Icon Background - Help

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Start Menu Icon Background - Help: Hello, I recently performed an update for Windows 10 and my start menu icons have changed.I hate them. I'm sure a lot of effort and time was spent on designing the new icons but, I would like the old ones back.How can I switch back to the previous icons or at least have a...
  4. Windows 10 start menu

Windows 10 start menu: Hi I woke up my pc from sleeping and my start menu popped up out of nowhere. How can i get this to stop? Its a desktop computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu/5067fa91-1076-436d-9d5d-556f3cbd6256
  5. Windows 10 Start Menu

Windows 10 Start Menu: Hi, Sorry if it's in the wrong section, but how do you guys sort your start menu, mine is like this (see image). As you can see i'm not good at sorting my apps...*chuckle Don't know where to put the apps on the top right. [img] 158886
  6. Start menu and windows 10

Start menu and windows 10: I have a HP laptop for work that hasnt been running properly for a few months, it keeps saying my disk storage is full even after deleting files and uninstalling apps etc so i was told to go on task manager and end the processes. Not sure if this is directly related but now i...
  7. Help with windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with windows 10 start menu: Just got a laptop and am trying to open notebook on the start menu. My PC has the option for this but my new laptop does not. The bar on the left side entirely disappears when I start typing, where on my PC, it gives me the option for a menu, home and notebook. Does anyone...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu

Windows 10 Start Menu: I am having problem in my Windows 10 , I am unable to click or open start menu , even search engine too . Any solution please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu/1add266f-4bbb-47c2-a2fc-b27182ed29b0
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu

Windows 10 Start Menu: I am having problem in my Windows 10 , I am unable to click or open start menu , even search engine too . Any solution please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-start-menu/1add266f-4bbb-47c2-a2fc-b27182ed29b0
  10. Windows 10 - No start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - No start menu: Ok, so I downloaded windows 10 a few days ago using the media creation tool. Everything has been working great up until this morning. I was watching a movie through VLC and shortly after getting done my laptop wanted to install an update. I ok'd it and it started doing so....