Windows 10: Enable or Disable Sign in to Windows 10 using Companion Device

Discus and support Enable or Disable Sign in to Windows 10 using Companion Device in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Sign in to Windows 10 using Companion Device How to Enable or Disable Users to use Companion Device to Sign in to Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Sign in to Windows 10 using Companion Device

How to: Enable or Disable Sign in to Windows 10 using Companion Device

How to Enable or Disable Users to use Companion Device to Sign in to Windows 10

Users can use a sign in to a desktop computer running Windows 10. The companion device provides a second factor of authentication with Windows Hello.

There are numerous ways one can use the Windows Hello companion device framework to build a great Windows unlock experience with a companion device. For example, users could:

• Attach their companion device to PC via USB, touch the button on the companion device, and automatically unlock their PC.
    • Carry a phone in their pocket that is already paired with PC over Bluetooth. Upon hitting the spacebar on their PC, their phone receives a notification. Approve it and the PC simply unlocks.
    • Tap their companion device to an NFC reader to quickly unlock their PC.
    • Wear a fitness band that has already authenticated the wearer. Upon approaching PC, and by performing a special gesture (like clapping), the PC unlocks.
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the ability to sign in using a Windows Hello companion device for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the ability to sign in using a Windows Hello companion device.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Users to use Companion Device to Sign in to Windows 10 using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Users to use Companion Device to Sign in to Windows 10 using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Users to use Companion Device to Sign in to Windows 10 using Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Secondary Authentication Factor

Enable or Disable Sign in to Windows 10 using Companion Device [​IMG]

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Secondary Authentication Factor in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow companion device for secondary authentication policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Users to use Companion Device to Sign in to Windows 10
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Users to use Companion Device to Sign in to Windows 10
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

Enable or Disable Sign in to Windows 10 using Companion Device [​IMG]

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Users to use Companion Device to Sign in to Windows 10 using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SecondaryAuthenticationFactor

AllowSecondaryAuthenticationDevice DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Users to use Companion Device to Sign in to Windows 10
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_sign_in_with_companion_device.reg

Download

3. To Disable Users to use Companion Device to Sign in to Windows 10
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_sign_in_with_companion_device.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, OK (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 9, 2016

2. Re-enable audio device

Hi,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before we proceed with troubleshooting, I would need little information on the issue.

• Are using speakers / head phones to listen to audio?
    If you have disabled the audio device, then you might not see it under the list of playback devices. I would suggest you to follow these steps to make sure you see the disabled devices:

• Open
        Control panel

• Click Hardware and Sound and then Click on
        Sounds.

• Under Playback tab, right click on the empty area and make sure
        “Show Disabled Devices” has a check mark on it. If headphones/Speakers are disabled, it will now show up in the list.

• Right click on the device and
        Enable it. Click OK.
    If the issue still persists, try enabling speakers automatically using steps below.

• Go to Settings> Click on themes> Advance sound settings> right click on the speakers or the audio device youo have connected > click on
      Configure device.

• Test the sound level you want, click Next.

• And configure the audio devices.

Hope this helps you. Do reply if you need further assistance on Windows 10.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Credential Guard lab companion

Source: Credential Guard lab companion Datacenter and Private Cloud Security Blog

See also:

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Oct 27, 2019
  5. erocker Win User
    Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Any Windows update breaks my Creative sound drivers. Best way for me is to disable it via group policy:

• Go to Run –> gpedit.msc
    • In the Group Policy Editor, go to Computer Configuration –> Administrative Templates –> System –> Device Installation –> Device Installation Restrictions
    • In the right hand pane, select “Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings” and set it to Enabled.
    Once that's done, uninstall the driver Windows put in there and install the correct one.

erocker, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Brink Win User
    Windows Hello supports a growing variety of secured companion devices

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...panion-devices

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Sign in to Windows 10 using Companion Device - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Sign

2. Enable/Disable Audio devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable/Disable Audio devices: Hi,I want to enable/disable audio devices listed in sound control panel mmsys.cpl but either through programmatically or through any power shell commands/scripts.I tried using WMI APIs, Core Audio APIs, pnputil, devcon utilities. But with any of these I am either able to...
  3. Using IPhone as a companion device for Windows Hello

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Using IPhone as a companion device for Windows Hello: Hello, I connected my Iphone to my pc with the bluetooth interface and set it as my dynamic Lock device. Walking away and getting the lock screen works. But I can't automatically login. Do I have to use an app? If yes, which one? Or is the Iphone not supported as an...
  4. Disable or Enable Domain Users Sign in using Biometrics on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Disable or Enable Domain Users Sign in using Biometrics on Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 supports the use of Biometrics. It already supports PIN, Password and Picture Password on all computers, but given the proper hardware, Windows 10 also supports facial scanning, Iris scanning as well as fingerprint scanning. You can find these [...] This...
  5. how to disable / enable devices using command line in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to disable / enable devices using command line in Windows 10: Hello friends, Prior to updating to 1803 my headphones/laptop speakers were working just fine. When I connect my USB headphones, audio automatically redirected to headphones but not any more (after updating to 1803). Now, I need to manually disable speakers after connecting...
  6. Enable or Disable Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics: How to: Enable or Disable Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics How to Enable or Disable Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics Windows Hello biometrics lets you sign in to your devices, apps, online services, and networks using your fingerprint....
  7. Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics: How to: Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics How to Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics Windows Hello biometrics lets you sign in to your devices, apps, online services, and networks using your...
  8. Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to...
  9. Enable or Disable Device Guard in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Device Guard in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Device Guard in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Device Guard in Windows 10 Device Guard is a combination of enterprise-related hardware and software security features that, when configured together, will lock a device down so that it can...
  10. Enable or Disable Console Mode Sign-in in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Console Mode Sign-in in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Console Mode Sign-in in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Console Mode Sign-in in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with a hidden console mode that can be used to replace the default lock, sign-in, welcome, and shutdown graphical UI screens with a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. use companion device to sign in