Windows 10: HEVC videos don't show details in Explorer after 1803 update.

Discus and support HEVC videos don't show details in Explorer after 1803 update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed the latest K-Lite Codec Pack. That also got info showing for Subtitle Tracks. Would be nice if the CCCP pack would get updated. No... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Galane, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Galane Win User

HEVC videos don't show details in Explorer after 1803 update.

I installed the latest K-Lite Codec Pack. That also got info showing for Subtitle Tracks.

Would be nice if the CCCP pack would get updated. No movement there since 2015.

Galane, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Galane Win User

I installed 1803 on 10 Pro x64 today. Now videos encoded in HEVC do not show information like frame width and height in Details view.

Videos in other codecs do show that info. There's no problems *playing* HEVC videos. I use Potplayer. (It's by far the best. Tosses Media Player Classic, VLC and the rest into a cocked hat.)

Edit: Upon further checking, *some* MKV videos with HEVC do show the information in details, some don't. Same with *some* videos with AVC or h.264 encoding.

:)

Galane, May 1, 2018
  3. akgt94 Win User
    Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

This was working for me in the Anniversary Update and Creators Update, but has been slowly going downhill after the Fall Creators Update (build 1709). After updating to the Fall Creators Update, I could sometimes get thumbnails to show up in Explorer, sometimes
    not. I could sometimes get HEVC video to play in Movies & TV and Movie Moments, sometimes not. Now File Explorer won't create any HEVC thumbnails and HEVC video won't play in any of the Microsoft desktop or metro apps.

Here's what I've been able to piece together from a couple of different sources:

• Microsoft removed native HEVC support from the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
    • If you applied a feature update from a previous version (Creators, etc.), you were supposed to retain HEVC support. Wasn't quite true for me, which is how I found this thread. The work-around I mentioned in a previous reply has now stopped working.
    • Update KB4041994 enables SOME systems to ADD HEVC support back. There's a hidden app in the Microsoft Store called "HEVC Video Extension". Windows may add it manually. The app only enables HARDWARE HEVC decoding.
      You need a video card or processor released within the last ~year to get it though (Kaby Lake, Kaby Lake Refresh and Coffee Lake, and GPUs like AMD's RX 400, RX 500 and RX Vega 56/64, and Nividia's GeForce GTX 1000 and GTX 950 and 960 series.)
    • One of the sources suggests software HEVC decoding might become available as a paid app in the Windows Store in the future. No further info available.
    I did a clean install of the Fall Creators Update in Virtualbox. Applied all the updates and installed the "HEVC Video Extension" from the store. MP4 opens in Movies & TV metro app; HEVC video is blank, but HE-AAC audio plays. The slow folder refresh issue
    with HEVC files exists.

I have a mid-range desktop processor and video card from early 2013. VLC plays 1080p HEVC using just a couple of percent CPU. I can encode 480p 30FPS in real time using the x.265 Medium preset. My system doesn't need hardware-accelerated encoding / decoding.

As for the original issue. I took someone's suggestion and installed Icaros. Explorer refresh is speedy and I get thumbnails not only for HEVC MP4/MKV, but also FLV (like Icaros claims - anything FFMPEG can decode).

Additional info:

akgt94, May 1, 2018
  4. akgt94 Win User

Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

I was using the (spring) Creators Update. Explorer WAS WORKING generating thumbnails of HEVC (x265) inside both MP4 and MKV. Just upgraded to Fall Creators Update and this problem popped up.

Same symptoms as others. Folder refresh is very sluggish. Move is very sluggish. And thumbnails don't show for any HEVC.

To me, it's a regression in Fall Creators Update, since it was working before, but not after.

akgt94, May 1, 2018
  5. Callender Win User
    I agree with you on PotPlayer being one of the best media players. Anyway what I would do is backup your PotPlayer settings file:

"C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\PotPlayerMini\PotPlayerMini.ini"

Then uninstall PotPlayer using a decent uninstaller like:

Geek Uninstaller - the best FREE uninstaller

or

Download HiBit Uninstaller - MajorGeeks

Allow to scan for leftovers and remove them. If you use MadVR Plugin with PotPlayer then uninstall that as well.

HEVC videos don't show details in Explorer after 1803 update. [​IMG]

Then clear thumbnail cache, icon cache, icon cache and reset notification area icons.

Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Reset Notification Area Icons in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

After the final reboot download a fresh copy of PotPlayer and install it. Install MadVR (if you use it) then restore your backed up PotPlayerMini.ini (settings) file. Then reconfigure MadVR settings (if used) -

See if you still get the same problem.

Callender, May 2, 2018
Thema:

1. HEVC videos don't show details in Explorer after 1803 update. - Similar Threads - HEVC videos don't

2. HEVC Video Extensions

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    HEVC Video Extensions: I am writing to you from Kremena Armencheva's profile. I purchased HEVC Video Extensions, but there is no link to download the application. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc-video-extensions/9051fd56-ddbf-4d04-876c-056a98718cae
  3. HEVC Video Extensions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC Video Extensions: I am writing to you from Kremena Armencheva's profile. I purchased HEVC Video Extensions, but there is no link to download the application. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc-video-extensions/9051fd56-ddbf-4d04-876c-056a98718cae
  4. HEVC Video Extensions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HEVC Video Extensions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC Video Extensions: I just purchased the HEVC Video Extensions but there was no download offered. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc-video-extensions/7b96ae89-51ef-448f-81c4-72bba6659f7a
  6. HEVC Video Extensions

HEVC Video Extensions: I just purchased the HEVC Video Extensions but there was no download offered. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc-video-extensions/7b96ae89-51ef-448f-81c4-72bba6659f7a
  7. HEVC Video Extension

HEVC Video Extension: I ordered the HEVC Video Extension because I downloaded a video from school and when I went to view it, it said "Should we download and install this extra content for Movies and TV?" When I click okay it says "Couldn't install. Something happened and we weren't able to...
  8. HEVC Video

HEVC Video: Hello, When I attempt to open HEVC video on my Surface Book 3 i7, 16gb RAM, Intel Iris plus graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti w max-q in the movies/tv app I am met with the error code 0x800700aa and told to come speak to you wonderful people. Other threads in this...
  9. HEVC Video Extensions

HEVC Video Extensions: I paid for the HEVC Video Extensions but received no directions for download or how to access it. I still can not play video on my brand new Windows 10 computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc-video-extensions/c927d441-3479-4a75-8e3d-cf6113e25810
  10. 1803 update - No more file details in Windows Explorer columns for mkv

in Windows 10 Support
    1803 update - No more file details in Windows Explorer columns for mkv: and e.g. frame height and width are no longer listed for almost all mkv files and some mp4 files. strangely, some few mkv files work, though most dont display properties in windows file explorer since the 1803 update. apparently this seems to be an issue looking at the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HEVC doesnt show information IN Details Pane

2. file Explorer that shows video x265 folder size

3. Windows File Explorer does not generate details for HEVC videos

4. hevc updated vesion details,
  5. file explorer details missing info for x265 hevc,
  6. x265 not showing file details,
  7. windows 1803 h.264 avc does not play ,
  8. hevc thumbnails in windows,
  9. Windows 10 explorer flv thumbnail,
  10. windows 1803 hevc,
  11. hevc removed from windows 10 1803,