Windows 10: HEVC / X265 re-rip video (4K etc)

Discus and support HEVC / X265 re-rip video (4K etc) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there quick question for Video gurus out there I've a load of X-264 mkv 1080p files (approx. 2GB) each . In preparation for new 4K transmissions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Dec 14, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HEVC / X265 re-rip video (4K etc)

Hi there
    quick question for Video gurus out there

I've a load of X-264 mkv 1080p files (approx. 2GB) each . In preparation for new 4K transmissions etc I want to convert everything to the new HEVC X-265 standard (VLC plays it fine) which makes the files a LOT smaller - typically 5X !!!. Can I convert existing files without losing quality and what's a good tool to do it with.

I've been using MAKEMKV for ripping DVD's and Blu Rays but it doesn't rip to HEVC X265 and nor does Handbrake..

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 14, 2015
  2. James3A Win User

Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

I couldn't find an answer or solution to this problem. Not sure if anyone else bothered to report this, but I am experiencing horrible sluggishness when accessing a directory with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit videos. It also occurs when trying to move or copy HEVC/x265
    or Hi10p/10bit videos. MPEG2/4 and x264 videos do not have this issue. It appears Windows is doing some type of analysis or verification of the HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit videos that slows it down. Any solution or fix to this? Do I need a video card with a hardware
    decoder for HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit videos to have the sluggishness go away? Or does Microsoft need to have a Windows update to better recognize HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit videos?

Thanks.

James

James3A, Dec 14, 2015
  3. James3A Win User
    Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

Issue is and is not resolved.

Tried the following:

When googled for similar situation, someone said to update VLC. Did that and it didn't make a difference.

@Sam mentioned it may be trying to create icon thumbnails (not the generic ones, like the VLC cone, but an actual picture like an album cover title). This makes some sense because if the video is not x265/hevc or 10bit/hi10p, I do get thumbnail images. It makes
    me think that whatever code Microsoft uses to grab a snapshot/title out of the video file when you display a video directory, it doesn't know how to find it in an x265/hevc or 10bit/hi10p file. If this is the case, Microsoft needs to do an update on the code
    because there are going to be a lot more x265/hevc and 10bit/hi10p now that 4k/UHD is taking off.

Doesn't matter if I have one x265/hevc or 10bit/hi10p file in a directory or hundreds or mixed with x264, still get the issue.

I followed the link @Sam gave but it was not clear how to turn off the thumbnail image creation process. I actually found it in File Explorer Options under View tab: check box next to "Always show icons, never thumbnails". THIS WORKED!

BUT - I want thumbnails. So do I tolerate File Managers sluggish-ness with x265/hevc or 10bit/hi10p files so I can have thumbs everywhere else or do I disable thumbs for everything???

Still looking for an solution without needing to disable thumbnails.

Thanks.

James3A, Dec 14, 2015
Thema:

HEVC / X265 re-rip video (4K etc)

1. HEVC / X265 re-rip video (4K etc) - Similar Threads - HEVC X265 rip

2. HEVC Video Extensions

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    HEVC Video Extensions: I am writing to you from Kremena Armencheva's profile. I purchased HEVC Video Extensions, but there is no link to download the application. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc-video-extensions/9051fd56-ddbf-4d04-876c-056a98718cae
  3. HEVC Video Extensions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC Video Extensions: I just purchased the HEVC Video Extensions but there was no download offered. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc-video-extensions/7b96ae89-51ef-448f-81c4-72bba6659f7a
  4. x265 video file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    x265 video file: Hello all Accounts & community Microsoft.I only use x265 video file, this problem occurs & It slows down the systemall files cannot be viewedIf the x265 file is not in the computer, everything is normalsystem computer Cpu = i5-7400Ram 16Gssd=120GVGA=GT 1030 asusThank you for...
  5. x265 video file For com surrogate

x265 video file For com surrogate: Hello all Accounts & community.I only use x265 video file, this problem occurs & It slows down the systemall files cannot be viewedIf the x265 file is not in the computer, everything is normalThank you for your time...
  6. x265 video file For com surrogate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    x265 video file For com surrogate: Hello all Accounts & community.I only use x265 video file, this problem occurs & It slows down the systemall files cannot be viewedIf the x265 file is not in the computer, everything is normalThank you for your time...
  7. x265 video file For com surrogate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. HEVC Video

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HEVC Video: Hello, When I attempt to open HEVC video on my Surface Book 3 i7, 16gb RAM, Intel Iris plus graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti w max-q in the movies/tv app I am met with the error code 0x800700aa and told to come speak to you wonderful people. Other threads in this...
  9. 4k Video

4k Video: Hello. I am a vlogger. I connected my USB Charger to my iPhone and it doesn't let me import my 4k videos or view them. I need to know what to do because I need to get my video posted asap!...
  10. x265 HEVC Video not playing or thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    x265 HEVC Video not playing or thumbnails: Hi, My desktop PC (64bit Windows10 home) will not play HEVC videos with the default player, I just get a blank screen but can hear the audio. When viewing the files folder I just get the program icon and not a thumbnail. I assumed HEVC was not supported but trying the same...