Windows 10: Hi experts - how can I install on RAID 0 non UEFI system

Discus and support Hi experts - how can I install on RAID 0 non UEFI system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there Any experts out there I've rescued an old small server(working with Red Hat enterprise -- but I can't have the OS as it's licensed by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Feb 15, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Hi experts - how can I install on RAID 0 non UEFI system

Hi there

Any experts out there

I've rescued an old small server(working with Red Hat enterprise -- but I can't have the OS as it's licensed by the office) from our office --was being chucked out but looks quite good to me.

4 SATA bays populated with 4X 3TB HDD's (the HDD's were mine BTW !!!). I'm thinking of using this as a NAS server - 16 GB RAM and decent Intel CPU (i3 equivalent -- good enough for media server).

The only problem is that it's MBR BIOS and I have two RAID 0 arrays consisting of 2 X 2 3TB HDD's.

Installing Windows though -- No HDD's seen !!! yet there's 12 TB of them in the system.

The RAID is onboard --not a separate RAID controller.

Any help here or should I remove the HDD's and send the server on it's original journey to a one way trip to the City's TIP.

(On board VGA good enough also for running a GUI - if I can ever install an OS on it -- preferably W10).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 15, 2016

2. Upgrading Windows 7 PC with Raid Boot Drive

I have a Windows 7 PC with a Striped Raid 0 boot C drive. The Raid was created using hardware raid in a Non-UEFI motherboard.

Can I perform a Windows 10 Update or must I do a clean Install of Windows 10?

Cal

Cal hughes, Feb 15, 2016
  3. clay_ed Win User
    unsupported disk layout for uefi firmware

hi i'm running windows 8.1 in a raid 0 config from 2 x 240GB solid state drives, i have just tried to up date to windows 10 and i get this message "windows can't be installed because this pc has an unsupported disk layout for uefi firmware
    " when i first installed windows 7 i had a lot of trouble getting the raid controller to work however after messing about in the UEFI bios with the raid setting it eventually installed i then brought a windows 8 upgrade licence which installed without any
    issues and so did windows 8.1. i am running this on a home built Asus X99-S mother board computer. i suspect its the raid 0 config thats giving me issues if i was to remove the raid0 and install to 1 hard drive it should work ok however that would mean a
    clean install of windows7 which i don't want to do. has anybody solved this problem

clay_ed, Feb 15, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Hi jimbo.
    Although I have a raid 0 setup I am not an expert, but I believe MBR limitation is restricted to 2TB.

dencal, Feb 15, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    If I'm correct the boot partition can't be larger than 2TB with MBR.
    If I'm not correct, as @dencal mentioned the limit is 2TB.

The key is partitions, each partition can't be larger than 2TB meaning that you can have 50TB in a RAID setup in MBR as long as the partitions aren't larger than 2TB.

6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

I found it -- Had to buy our Networking Guru a Lunch and a few beers --but worth it.

1) In the ODD space connected an SSD to the spare SATA port in the machine. The RAID config allows boot from the SSD / Port 5

2) Hidden away in an obscure part of the bios menu is an "Advanced ROM" features -- and way down most of those incomprehensible options (at least to me) was something called a "Virtual Install Disk" -- enabled this feature.

3) Created an old fashioned Windows install DVD (I've got a USB external DVD drive )

4) Created the SSD as a SINGLE array and logical raid0 volume - left the other 4 as uninitialized so Windows didn't even see those

5) On the menu boot menu was "Inteligent Provisioning" -- would never have found that in a MILLION years -- entered at boot time

6) Set to install OS manually -- and then it looked for an ISO which was on my external DVD drive

7) system did another reboot -- and hey presto windows could create a partition and INSTALL and BOOT from the SSD !!!!!

8) now went back and created two more raid 0 arrays each of 2 X 3 TB HDD's -- probably better than one array of 4X 3 TB

9) Installed apps and applied updates

Very nice now -- I'd have never have got this going in a MILLION years by myself -- I see some of these I.T gurus and network guys earn their keep.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 15, 2016
  7. dencal Win User
    Hi jimbo
    Great to see you have got it sorted....way over my head.....but the important thing is how does it perform?

dencal, Feb 16, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

The RAID 0 performs excellently -- I think with this server the RAID controller is a Hybrid mix of hardware / software but I/O is definitely much faster and no jerky video even when transcoding -- the cpu power isn't the inhibiting factor on transcode but the speed that transcoded I/O can get delivered to the server. (Ideally if you can avoid transcoding then fine - but sometimes subtitles require a new transcode).

Very happy with it.

Having the OS on the SSD is a winner too so all 4 HDD's can be used as data storage. There was a space at the top for a slim (9.5 mm) DVD drive - but decided to connect an SSD instead -- you don't need a DVD drive on a server !!!. If you must have one just sling a USB external DVD device on to one of the USB ports ( 4 X USB2, 1 USB2 internal, and 2 USB 3 ports). Using RAID 0 allowed me to boot from the SSD port -- otherwise you have to use one of the HDD bays - and with a non UEFI bios that means you can't use large (> 2TB) HDD's for the boot device. This way I get to use all 4 HDD's as data storage).

Now I know how to load the RAID driver I probably will investigate running Linux headless or Windows 2012 server (still got an old TechNet license for that one). In fact to load the RAID 0 driver I had to use the W2012 one as there wasn't one for W10 --not sure if many people try to use a small micro server as a workstation - but the small footprint / power consumption of these makes it well worth a look -- not for intensive games etc -- but as a file and multi-media server -- can't be beat for the price.

Just a note - if you use Macrium reflect you can load the drivers on to your boot media and you can restore a non RAID version of your OS to the RAID 0 SSD -- you can add the driver to the image so it will boot perfectly.

BTW Server is an HP ProLiant Microserver -- I'd suggest using one of these as a NAS box rather than paying hugely more for a dedicated "NAS" server. For starters you can test with a bog standard OS )Windows / Linux etc) rather than a special OS which you can't really tinker with too much with.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hi experts - how can I install on RAID 0 non UEFI system - Similar Threads - experts install RAID

2. Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 RAID 0 system disks: I am considering RAID 0 for the system disks of my next desktop build. The raid would be setup in BIOS. Does anyone knows if this is going to work with windows 11?...
  3. Moving from raid 0 to non raid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving from raid 0 to non raid: I want to move away from my nvme raid 0 to a non raid nvme without reinstalling. Aomei backupper doesn't work, bsod. Any other solutions? submitted by /u/collins_amber [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l63z0n/moving_from_raid_0_to_non_raid/
  4. Install Windows on Raid 0

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows on Raid 0: I have an i3-3240 processor, an ASRock H61M-VG3 motherboard and 2 Hitachi HDP725050GLA360G. My question is: what do I need to install Windows on the 2 hdds in Raid 0? And I would like if you can find me what's needed....
  5. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  6. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems: Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for...
  7. How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?

How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?: Hello. I have my work laptop (main) with Windows 10 installation (UEFI, GPT) where all apps already installed and configured. Recently I was given an old notebook (secondary) with Windows 8.1 installation (legacy BIOS, non-UEFI, MBR). Is there more or less simple way to...
  8. Cloning a Windows installation (RAID 0) to single SSD (non-RAID) fails

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloning a Windows installation (RAID 0) to single SSD (non-RAID) fails: Hi All, I've got a Windows 10 Home install running on a pair of 120GB SSDs running in RAID 0 (striped) - seemed like a good idea at the time.....ho-hum.... :/ Have now run out of space and want to move to a bigger (single) SSD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the partitions...
  9. System Backup before RAID 0

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Backup before RAID 0: Hey Guys, I am planning on doing a RAID 0 with my two 1TB HDD's and I was wondering if a system image backup onto an external HDD will work for restoring my OS, programs, and files to the newly raided drives. 87071
  10. UEFI installation on non-UEFI system

UEFI installation on non-UEFI system: Hi there, I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor. Booted with an installation media and the automatic startup repair did not work. Browsing online I tried re-creating the...