Windows 10: Hibernate not working after memory upgrade

Discus and support Hibernate not working after memory upgrade in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After adding more memory/ram hibernating the pc results in a 'boot failure detected' and the memory speed being changed down to 1331Mhz from 1866Mhz.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rhogg4859, Nov 12, 2017.

1. rhogg4859 Win User

Hibernate not working after memory upgrade

After adding more memory/ram hibernating the pc results in a 'boot failure detected' and the memory speed being changed down to 1331Mhz from 1866Mhz.

I had run memtest86+ after fitting another 2x4Gb memory chips. These being identical to the existing two chips. I have tried turning hibernate off and then on again. I have also tried 'powercfg /h /size 75%' and 100%.

powercfg /a
    The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S3)
    Hibernate
    Hybrid Sleep
    Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
    The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

It is strange that when I do try to hibernate the pc it goes quite for a long time before rebooting with the bios error and the memory speed showing as 1331. I have Corsair CMZ8Gx3M2A1866C9R times four with the bios set to XMP.

There are no particular errors in the event log, as the pc is just rebooting and not returning from a hibernate state.

What else can I try?

Thanks
    Rob.

:)

rhogg4859, Nov 12, 2017
  2. BobIden Win User

W10 shuts down too soon when no activity

Good luck. Just wait a few days and it will cure itself as mine did. Actually it's better now, since after "sleeping" for some time it goes into "hibernate" mode so doesn't require a login. Hibernate is an old feature where, I believe, it writes memory
    to disk so is able to save the power of keeping the memory alive. This hasn't worked for a long time.

BobIden, Nov 12, 2017
  3. Pr2459 Win User
    System and compressed memory background high cpu usage after resuming from Hibernation

Any news on the solution to this problem? I also notice high CPU usage by "system and compression memory" and large fan noise after coming back from hibernation. This is bad since sleep is not working so we have to use hibernation unless shutdown the computer
    every time.

Pr2459, Nov 12, 2017
  4. rhogg4859 Win User

Further to my op.

wmic MemoryChip get BankLabel, Capacity, MemoryType, Speed, Tag
    BankLabel Capacity MemoryType Speed Tag
    Node0_Bank0 4294967296 24 1333 Physical Memory 0
    Node0_Bank0 4294967296 24 1333 Physical Memory 1
    Node0_Bank0 4294967296 24 1333 Physical Memory 2
    Node0_Bank0 4294967296 24 1333 Physical Memory 3

Why is it reporting 1333 when the bios correctly states 1866?

rhogg4859, Nov 12, 2017
  5. Geneo Win User
    Probably because the memory is really 1333 MHz chips overclocked (XMP) to 1866 MHZ, and it is reporting what the chip reports.

If you just do wmic memorychip get ConfiguredClockSpeed,, it will display the true memory clock speed.

My memory is 1866 OC to 2400:

wmic:root\cli>memorychip get Speed, ConfiguredClockSpeed
    ConfiguredClockSpeed Speed
    2400 1867
    2400 1867
    2400 1867
    2400 1867

Geneo, Nov 13, 2017
  6. rhogg4859 Win User
    Yes, Geneo, that shows the configured speed correctly.

rhogg4859, Nov 13, 2017
  7. rhogg4859 Win User
    What solved the problem with failing to hibernate, which worked perfectly in Linux as one would expect, and has nothing to do with the memory was the size of the pagefile in Windows. This has been problem with Windows as far back as I can remember. The suggested size of the pagefile is not enough and causes other problems. I have found specifying the size to be the size of actual memory and larger works.

In this case I had forgotten to change the size from 8Gb to 16Gb. Problem fixed.

rhogg4859, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hibernate not working after memory upgrade - Similar Threads - Hibernate working memory

2. PC will not stay asleep/hibernated after upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC will not stay asleep/hibernated after upgrade: I just upgraded my PC with a new CPU, mobo, GPU, PSU, new NVMe SSD for my OS, and some various other doodads. My first time performing work this invasive on my own PC and I was pleasantly surprised everything booted up with no issues and I didn't burn my house down....
  3. PC will not stay asleep/hibernated after upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC will not stay asleep/hibernated after upgrade: I just upgraded my PC with a new CPU, mobo, GPU, PSU, new NVMe SSD for my OS, and some various other doodads. My first time performing work this invasive on my own PC and I was pleasantly surprised everything booted up with no issues and I didn't burn my house down....
  4. PC will not stay asleep/hibernated after upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hibernation problem after SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernation problem after SSD upgrade: [ATTACH] Hi, I got a new NVME-SSD for Christmas. I inserted it into the second M2-slot of my mainboard. In the first slot is my "old" SATA-SSD. I would have had to dissasemble the whole computer to get access to the first slot. Next I cloned my partitions from the old to...
  6. Hibernate not working on after SSD installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hibernate not working on after SSD installed: Hi, I am having this issue after installing the Windows in SSD. Currently my SSD is installed with SATA caddy in place of DVD ROM SATA port. Issue is when my computer hibernates, it doesn't preserve the files/data when I resume the Windows. Moreover, When I tried to...
  7. Crashing after memory upgrade?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crashing after memory upgrade?: I recently upgraded my old laptop memory from 4 GB to 8 GB, replacing two dual 2 GBs with two dual 4 GBs. The computer runs a lot better now, but it's been giving me a BSOD every so often. I installed WinDbg Preview and loaded the most recent dmp file. It seems to suggest...
  8. Hibernate no longer working after most recent Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hibernate no longer working after most recent Windows 10 upgrade: I completed the latest Windows 10 upgrade. Hibernate worked fine before the upgrade, but now if I put my laptop into hibernation, it won't restart when I try to bring it out of hibernation. I just get the black ASUS start-up screen, and nothing happens. I have to force shut...
  9. After upgrade an issue with hibernation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After upgrade an issue with hibernation: I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and whenI recover my PC from the hibernation, it has an issue. Then it fixes it and performs a boot from scratch.It is a kernel data inpage error and I received an error code 0xc000001...
  10. Hibernation not working after Windows updates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernation not working after Windows updates: I've been having a problem from time to time with my Dell XPS 8930 that has the Optane memory (probably not the cause). After updating Windows, I sometimes find that when I hibernate the computer, the next time I turn it on, it's as if it had shut down rather than hibernate...