Windows 10: Hidden Administrator Cannot See My Main Local Account

Discus and support Hidden Administrator Cannot See My Main Local Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; For one reason or another I managed to delete administrator privileges for my one local account. After several hours messing about I have managed to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by roryks, Feb 10, 2016.

1. roryks Win User

Hidden Administrator Cannot See My Main Local Account

For one reason or another I managed to delete administrator privileges for my one local account. After several hours messing about I have managed to activate the hidden Administrator - but I am finding that this Administrator is not helping.

1. It cannot see my main local user account. It does not list it at all in User Accounts, so I cannot change any settings etc. Similarly, when I open User Accounts with my main account, it cannot see the Administrator, or the new account I created (see below)

2. When I access User Accounts using "netplwiz" it sees my main account but will not highlight it (or any other account). It is stuck on Administrator.

3. It will not create a new account. When I use it to access Accounts and try to add a new user the cursor spins and nothing happens.

4. I added a new user (with administrator privileges) using the command prompt - this was successful, but it bumped my main account off the login page, and it doesn't acknowledge it on the dropdown list with the start menu. (Yet when I restarted it took me straight in to my main account.)

Needless to say, I am quite confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

roryks, Feb 10, 2016

2. Unable to enable or even disable hidden Administrator password. "need administrator password

*O.T.> Administrator password (s)

Unable to enable or even disable hidden Administrator password. "need administrator password"

Cannot change User Account types "need administrator password"

Cannot do any resets or restores "need administrator password"

Cannot uninstalled useless programs "need administrator password"

Only have local account and Microsoft account.

Did not make password recovery disk.

Administrator password worked for a while. I the played with enable/disable hidden ... etc then problem started.

Help of any kind appreciated.

Bob

BobStringh, Feb 10, 2016
  3. Remove MS Account from Device and from built-in Administrator account

You created a new Local Account with Admin privileges on the Other users tab? Does it appear there at the bottom as an Admin account?

If so then Log Off the MS account, log onto the new Admin Local Account, move your files over to the new Local account, test all programs work from it, go ahead and hide the Hidden Administrator account to see if this is sufficient:

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

At some point you had to associate your MS account with the Built-in Account. My guess is that during Upgrade the installer didn't know how to parse the Built-In account so just merged it with your MS Account you supplied during setup. The "Sign in with
    Local Account instead" probably gets greyed out because built-in cannot be discarded, just hidden which must be separately done by an Admin.

Once you hide the Built-in Account, see if you can sign into the MS Account or set it up again on the Your Email and Accounts tab. There is no reason that account should not be retrievable once it's detached from the built-in Admin account which is never
    meant to be the running account, only to remain hidden for emergency use.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 10, 2016
  4. roryks Win User

So, I was six hours sorting out this problem. After all the hullabaloo I went back to "netplwiz" and checked the box "users must enter a username and password to use this computer." This allowed me to access the main account, and I changed its allocation under the Advanced tab. Administrator privileges have been restored.

Sorry to bother you all.

roryks, Feb 10, 2016
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    Yes sometimes it helps to just type it all out. Breaks the cycle of thought

Clintlgm, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hidden Administrator Cannot See My Main Local Account - Similar Threads - Hidden Administrator Cannot

2. REMOVE hidden "Administrator Account"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    REMOVE hidden "Administrator Account": I am getting decidedly tired of the repeated messages in Windows 10 on my overpriced Microsoft-based Alienware computer telling me that I do not have administrator privileges and therefore my actions are blocked. I am the ONLY account on my PC besides the damned hidden admin...
  3. REMOVE hidden "Administrator Account"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    REMOVE hidden "Administrator Account": I am getting decidedly tired of the repeated messages in Windows 10 on my overpriced Microsoft-based Alienware computer telling me that I do not have administrator privileges and therefore my actions are blocked. I am the ONLY account on my PC besides the damned hidden admin...
  4. REMOVE hidden "Administrator Account"

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Game crashes on main account administrator but works on new local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game crashes on main account administrator but works on new local account: Hi,So I've been playing a game Skyrim, no mods for a while now but I have this weird issue that has never been solved. So here's the situation:- Once I hit play the game begins running on window mode. Once I hit start a new game, along with the sound effect confirming the...
  6. Game crashes on main account administrator but works on new local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game crashes on main account administrator but works on new local account: Hi,So I've been playing a game Skyrim, no mods for a while now but I have this weird issue that has never been solved. So here's the situation:- Once I hit play the game begins running on window mode. Once I hit start a new game, along with the sound effect confirming the...
  7. Recover my administrator local account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover my administrator local account: Hello! So that you can understand me better, I will tell everything from the beginning. It happens that at one point I needed to temporarily hide my account, but I didn't want to delete it, so I looked for how to do it and I found a method to do it in Regedit, which was to go...
  8. Recover my administrator local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover my administrator local account: Hello! So that you can understand me better, I will tell everything from the beginning. It happens that at one point I needed to temporarily hide my account, but I didn't want to delete it, so I looked for how to do it and I found a method to do it in Regedit, which was to go...
  9. make my main account as administrator?

in Windows 10 Customization
    make my main account as administrator?: In Windows 10 I have 2 accounts one is guest account configured as an administrator by mistake, and my main account is not. I want to delete the guest account and make the main one administrator account. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank You....
  10. Local account to administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local account to administrator: Hello all, Somehow, I've set up my laptop as local account instead of administrator *Redface*Redface Unable to make changes as I don't have administrator rights. I'm the only user on this PC, is it possible to change local account to administrator? Do you want to make...