Windows 10: Hidden char in file name showed by command dir

Discus and support Hidden char in file name showed by command dir in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, In tracking a bug in app, I discovered something very odd. I have a strange file name in a directory. If I do a dir command the file name... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by philart, Oct 28, 2016.

1. philart Win User

Hidden char in file name showed by command dir

Hi,

In tracking a bug in app, I discovered something very odd.

I have a strange file name in a directory.
    If I do a dir command the file name appearing is not the same as with Win Explorer! Even the copy paste from the console removes the extra char.

Attached screenshots

:)

philart, Oct 28, 2016

2. Windows Explorer 10: Detail View: Custom Column: How to Modify Field

That doesn't give a clue as to why windows thinks they're folders.

try opening a command prompt to the folder containing the tifs & execute:

dir | clip

let's see if they show as files or directories there. If they show as directories, use
    cd <name> and then repeat the dir

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Oct 28, 2016
  3. Delete an old Home Group in Win 10

Apparently it is Hidden; so, if you aren't letting File Explorer show hidden directories in order to use them you must know that they are there and type them explicitly. To see this you could take a small detour into cmd.exe at that parent directory level.
    E.g. just enter cmd.exe there; then, in the cmd window command line enter dir and then enter dir/a and compare the two results. Or you could just enter attrib AppData.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Oct 28, 2016
  4. AndreyT Win User

Nothing unusual about it. These are two different programs that render file names differently, using different APIs (and not even mentioning that they probably use different fonts). If you have a weird/illegal character in the file name, it is not surprising to see this kind of inconsistency between applications.

AndreyT, Oct 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Hidden char in file name showed by command dir - Similar Threads - Hidden char file

2. Cannot dir in My Documents folder from a command line

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot dir in My Documents folder from a command line: I am the owner of My Documents, and I have Full Control. I can use Windows Explorer to navigate inside this folder, but whether I use Command Prompt or Powershell, I cannot use the dir command. Command Prompt says "File Not Found." PowerShell gives a long error message that...
  3. Dir command gives unexpected / unwanted results

in Windows 10 Support
    Dir command gives unexpected / unwanted results: If I open a command prompt window and give the command " dir *.xls", I also get all xlsm, xlsx, xlsq etc files. This behaviour is unwanted and illogical. it makes scripting hopelessly complex and unreliable. If I wanted those files, I would issue a "dir *.xls?" command. For...
  4. "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command

in Windows 10 Support
    "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command: Windows 10 seems to have a new set of info returned by the "dir" Powershell command. This appears under the "Mode" heading, e.g. -a---- or d----- , but nowhere have I found what these entries mean or how to interpret the individual characters. I get that they have to do with...
  5. command line to copy files from dir A to B but skip existing ones

in Windows 10 Support
    command line to copy files from dir A to B but skip existing ones: Hi there Is there a Windows command that can copy files from say directory A to directory B but skip any with the same name I don't want to update even if say directory A has a newer version than directory B --simply use existing names --if it exists skip. I'm trying to...
  6. Long Directory + File names > 256 chars --any sign of support yet

in Windows 10 Support
    Long Directory + File names > 256 chars --any sign of support yet: Hi folks This has been pushed around for ages but I can't see any sign of it being implemented even on latest W10-updates. The 256 character restriction on file name + directory string is a serious limitation now on my being able to share multi-media with Windows...
  7. File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer: I had a user complain he couldn't see (& delete) a lock file our program had created. I can find it in a command prompt, dir /ah (and NOT dir /as). In Explorer, Folder Options->View->Uncheck "Hide Protected operating System Files" which stops Explorer displaying files with...
  8. Explorer looses "show hidden files" setting

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer looses "show hidden files" setting: Hello It seems that each time I restart Windows it forgets that I have set the "Show hidden files" option in the explorer settings. Is this just a stupid bug that I have to live with (thanks, Microsoft) or is there a solution to it? Thanks! 51863
  9. Show Hidden Files And Folders Error

in Windows 10 Support
    Show Hidden Files And Folders Error: Hi, I haven't updated anything today, but now when I go into Control Panel>Appearance And Personalisation>Show Hidden Files And Folders, I just get a beep and then get taken back to the desktop, with nothing happening. Other options in Control Panel seem to be fine. Has...
  10. PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation

in Windows 10 Support
    PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation: Hi there Please Ms FIX the 260 char directory+filename limitation. I can't copy loads of music files on windows and if you've got 2 - 3 TB of music files I'm not going on a massive renaming job - in any case I want to preserve tagging and track info too. Linux and...