Windows 10: Hidden char in file name showed by command dir

Discus and support Hidden char in file name showed by command dir in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, In tracking a bug in app, I discovered something very odd. I have a strange file name in a directory. If I do a dir command the file name... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by philart, Oct 28, 2016.

1. philart Win User

Hidden char in file name showed by command dir

Hi,

In tracking a bug in app, I discovered something very odd.

I have a strange file name in a directory.
    If I do a dir command the file name appearing is not the same as with Win Explorer! Even the copy paste from the console removes the extra char.

Attached screenshots

:)

philart, Oct 28, 2016

2. Windows Explorer 10: Detail View: Custom Column: How to Modify Field

That doesn't give a clue as to why windows thinks they're folders.

try opening a command prompt to the folder containing the tifs & execute:

dir | clip

let's see if they show as files or directories there. If they show as directories, use
    cd <name> and then repeat the dir

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Oct 28, 2016
  3. Delete an old Home Group in Win 10

Apparently it is Hidden; so, if you aren't letting File Explorer show hidden directories in order to use them you must know that they are there and type them explicitly. To see this you could take a small detour into cmd.exe at that parent directory level.
    E.g. just enter cmd.exe there; then, in the cmd window command line enter dir and then enter dir/a and compare the two results. Or you could just enter attrib AppData.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Oct 28, 2016
  4. AndreyT Win User

Nothing unusual about it. These are two different programs that render file names differently, using different APIs (and not even mentioning that they probably use different fonts). If you have a weird/illegal character in the file name, it is not surprising to see this kind of inconsistency between applications.

AndreyT, Oct 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Hidden char in file name showed by command dir - Similar Threads - Hidden char file

2. DIR Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DIR Command: dir /A:D /B /S > FolderList.txt produces a list of all directories and subdirectories of a directory. I would like to modify this line to have the date included for all directories and subdirectories of a directory too....
  3. DIR Command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DIR Command: dir /A:D /B /S > FolderList.txt produces a list of all directories and subdirectories of a directory. I would like to modify this line to have the date included for all directories and subdirectories of a directory too....
  4. Unable to Uncheck Show hidden files and File name extensions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Uncheck Show hidden files and File name extensions.: I can't disable/uncheck show hidden files and file name extensions.I've tried registry editor method , but it keeps check itself when i try to see hidden files again.I've seen someone discovering the same issue with me, but they're using bitdefender. Im using malwarebytes...
  5. Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work: I am using W'10, Administrative Windows Power Shell, command line.When I do a "DIR" it works, but when I add parameters, I get this error message:-----------------PS C:\> dir /sdir : Cannot find path 'C:\s' because it does not exist.At line:1 char:1+ dir /s+ ~~~~~~ +...
  6. Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work: I am using W'10, Administrative Windows Power Shell, command line.When I do a "DIR" it works, but when I add parameters, I get this error message:-----------------PS C:\> dir /sdir : Cannot find path 'C:\s' because it does not exist.At line:1 char:1+ dir /s+ ~~~~~~ +...
  7. Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Bug in the DIR command?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bug in the DIR command?: Hi all. I'm running Version 10.0.17134.1365 and recently I've been testing long file names and how they're handled in an application that I work on. Strangely I noticed that when I try to see what the short name is for one of these files, they're not displaying correctly....
  9. DIR commands

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DIR commands: So recently I used the DIR commands to be able to see hidden and Invisible files, is there any way to revert this? submitted by /u/Creeper_King_558 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/inyfq2/dir_commands/
  10. Windows dir name

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows dir name: My computer will not start. My probing has revealed that Windows is "gone" Where it's supposed to be is a dir called"$WINDOWS.·-BT" I can't get the squiggly line to type. 1.what is the correct name of the Windows 10 directory? 2. How do I change it in the CMD prompt?...