Windows 10: Hidden partitions after cloning

Discus and support Hidden partitions after cloning in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is a computer I built several years ago (E6300). I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro. I have cloned the HDD to an SSD. (I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jambe, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Jambe Win User

Hidden partitions after cloning

This is a computer I built several years ago (E6300).
    I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro.
    I have cloned the HDD to an SSD. (I eventually figured out how using Macrium Reflect. There was another D: partition for which I used Aomei Partition Assistant to combine it with C:.)
    This is what Disk Management shows now:

Hidden partitions after cloning [​IMG]

Notice that the recovery partition is empty, although there is something in the other hidden partition.
    1. What is typically in a recovery partition? Anything related to using Create a Restore Point?
    2. What might be in the other (350MB) hidden partition?
    3. Can either of these be safely deleted? Not that the space is needed but I'd just like to know.

I understand that a partition ahead of C: cannot be combined with C:, but the unused 450MB recovery partition could be.

Suggestions/discussion appreciated.

P.S. I cloned another computer and the recovery partition ended up being called D:. ???

:)

Jambe, Apr 21, 2017

2. Cloning HDD to SSD

I have a Kingspec 64gb SSD, how do you go about cloning the 120gb drive to a 64gb SSD?

Do i use Acronis True Image to clone the hidden recovery partition to USB stick and then use the Acronis True Image recovery CD to apply the image of the hidden partition onto the SSD, and then F8 system recovery and reinstall?

Or am i barking up the wrong tree?

I have used Windows Anytime Upgrade to Home Premium and have the product key, could i do a clean install from a Retail or OEM DVD?

Advise Please

Darren

darcol---01, Apr 21, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Hard drive failing - What can I do to transfer/ clone my drive?

You can clone your Windows from drive to drive with no problems .

You do need enough space on your HDD drive to create a free space as large as your Windows C:\ drive

for the clone. The cloning tool will create the partition in the free space.

- Make sure the HDD gets a good defrag/optimise after doing the clone.

Note that you have been running Windows on an SSD for a long time that Windows will be
    very slow loading from HDD.

I only really appreciated how much an SSD helps after cloning my Windows to a HDD for backup.

- Macrium Reflect is highly regarded.

AOEMI Partition assistant is another good free tool ( they use the term Migrate vs clone/image )

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

- If you really want to be safe make two clones, if possible. Should lightning strike twice....

BossDweeb, Apr 21, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

The recovery partition is probably not empty despite what Disk Management shows. You won't have the necessary permission to see what's in a Recovery partition hence the apparent '100% free'. If all is well, the WinRE recovery environment should be there. Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and type reagentc /info to find out if the Recovery partition is in use. If it is in use, it should say:

Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition3\Recovery\WindowsRE

Restore points are kept in the hidden folder 'System Volume Information' on the root of the drive to which they refer.

5. Berton Win User
    I just had to reinstall Win10 on a client's computer and the 'hidden' partition on it contains the Win8 Factory Restore files, more than 17GB and labeled as OEM Recovery, used to put the computer back to its as-shipped condition.

Berton, Apr 21, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    At 450MB it's a bit small for that. It's the typical size for a Windows 10 recovery environment.

You can see what's in a Recovery Partition by using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Right-click on the partition and select 'Explore'.

7. Berton Win User
    At over 17GB it obviously includes all the bloatware that came installed on the computer.

Berton, Apr 21, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

I was referring to Jambe's recovery partition, which is shown as 450MB in the screenshot.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hidden partitions after cloning - Similar Threads - Hidden partitions cloning

2. Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition: I recently installed a new ssd into my pc and cloned the old hdd to the new ssd. I noticed there was a little bit of allocated space on the hdd so I used minitool to resize it. I then was not able to access the drive and there is a question mark next to it. I want to have my...
  3. Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition: I recently installed a new ssd into my pc and cloned the old hdd to the new ssd. I noticed there was a little bit of allocated space on the hdd so I used minitool to resize it. I then was not able to access the drive and there is a question mark next to it. I want to have my...
  4. Resizing Partition after cloning but healthy recovery partition is in the way.

Resizing Partition after cloning but healthy recovery partition is in the way.: Hi all. I'm looking all over and I can't get an answer on this: I cloned my OS drive on my SSD to an M.2 drive. The SSD was 500gb. My M.2 drive is 1tb. I now have almost 500gb of unallocated space. The problem is this: There is my C drive, a 'recovery partition',...
  5. No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.: Hey fellas, Moving forward from this thread.....(just for reference.....Help with SSD boot drive change) Single boot drive MBR was cloned with Macrium to larger ssd and removed smaller ssd. Windows booted fine. MBR2GPT converted the new drive, but gave the...
  6. Hidden Partitions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hidden Partitions: I realize that certain partitions are hidden for good reason. But the problem I have is that when I do a full system backup twice a month, I open Macrium Reflect and it shows drive letters assigned to four different partitions. As you can see from the image below, the UEFI...
  7. Clone OS partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clone OS partition: Hey, I’m having trouble moving my windows 10 install over to my new ssd. I have tried cloning the entire disk and or all partitions from old to new drive using easeus, minitool, and aomei, but nothing seems to work after if clone everything, I restarted pc and booted from new...
  8. Disk partition issue after cloning

Disk partition issue after cloning: Here is my problem. I bought a larger SSD drive to upgrade my main storage on my laptop. I had a 120GB SSD and I went up to a 256GB SDD. On Windows 10 64-bit, I used EaseUS software to clone the disks with the option sector by sector. Something weird has happened. The visual...
  9. Clone Windows Partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Windows Partition: I want to clone my windows partition to a 250GB SSD. C currently resides on a 3TB drive that has 4 other partitions on it. Using Macrium I can see the C partition fine along with the rest. I only want the C to be cloned and not the rest which obviously wont fit anyway. Do I...
  10. Is cloning Hidden partitions from HDD to SSD necessary?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is cloning Hidden partitions from HDD to SSD necessary?: Hi guys. I have a one-TB HDD on my laptop and want to replace it by a 240-GB SSD and there are some questions about hidden partitions and other things. First of all in Macrium reflect, I see that there are some hidden partitions which I don't know what they are. The first...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cloned ssd shows 3 partitions as disks

2. hidden partitions appear when cloning

3. hide system disk after cloned

4. hide hidden drive after clone ssd,
  5. how to hide partition after cloning,
  6. cloned recovery partition not hidden after