Windows 10: Hidden wifi

Discus and support Hidden wifi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! Does anyone of you could connect to an hidden wifi network? or it's just my laptop? Thanks 7747 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by purjuju, Jul 2, 2015.

1. purjuju Win User

Hidden wifi

Hi!

Does anyone of you could connect to an hidden wifi network? or it's just my laptop?

Thanks

:)

purjuju, Jul 2, 2015
  2. Entegy Win User

Wifi and airplane mode - not working properly / MAC filter issue?

Yup, I temporarily made a hidden WiFi point and reproduced this on a Lumia 920.

While this is definitely a bug, do know that hidden WiFi points are less secure than normally-configured WiFi points. If you are in control of this network, unhide it.

Entegy, Jul 2, 2015
  3. 7thSense Win User
    Retrieve deleted wifi connection on HTC Radar

Is it a hidden wifi Connection? Then you need to tap Advanced (in Settings > Wifi) and manually add the details.

If it isn't a hidden hotspot and you can't see it when refreshing the list of wifi hotspots, then there can be a few different problems:

* The reception is to weak

* The wifi network is 5GHz (which I don't think the Radar supports)

7thSense, Jul 2, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Hidden wifi

What do you mean by hidden? Do mean it's not broadcasting it's SSID? If so you should be able to enter that manually to connect.

Ztruker, Jul 2, 2015
  5. purjuju Win User
    Hi! thanks for your answer.
    Yes, it's not broadcasting it's SSID. I can see "Hidden Network" in the list, I click on it, I enter the correct name and the correct password (works with my Android) and windows X says that, it cannot connect...

purjuju, Jul 3, 2015
  6. I get that too.
    Apparently there are multiple Wi-Fi networks at my workplace. Two are identifiable by name and one is hidden.

CountryBumkin, Jul 9, 2015
  7. I do not broadcast the SSID and I can connect. There was one release that caused the issue you're experiencing - I kept entering the information and finally decided to disable the adapter, let it sit a few minutes and the enabled it again. I think it took two more attempts to enter the SSID and Password, but it did accept them.

10.0.166 doesn't seem to have this issue.

Slartybart, Jul 10, 2015
  8. Hidden wifi

I also am seeing "Hidden Network" in my Wifi list which I never saw before:

Hidden wifi [​IMG]

What really is this "Hidden Network" and what is it's purpose?? is this someone using my wifi? someone using my connection? Please explain what this is and why I am seeing this on Win 10 when I never saw a "Hidden Network" when I was using Win Vista.

Thanks!

Lin

skeefiez11, Feb 8, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    All that I would need is either my Android tablet or use 'netsh wlan show all' on a Windows computer to scan for all available networks. As for getting through WEP/WPA/WPA2 security on that network, there is a set of tools to find out that info, or just send a attachment in an email and have the user to click on and have the trojan send back the key for that SSID.

bro67, Feb 8, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    It is nothing. It is like tuning in your radio or tv and finding a broadcast, without knowing the call letters of the station.

Any radio device that transmits, will show up when scanned for what band space they are using on the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz bands, along with the channel that it is on.

Just because a network shows up in that list, does not mean anything. Look at it like standing in the middle of the street and looking at a bunch of houses You can see the houses, but do not know who lives there, or what the addresses of them are, if the address is obscured. Just because you do not know who lives there, or the addresses, does not mean that they have the ability to just walk up to you and get into your house.

bro67, Feb 8, 2016
  11. Thank you for the explanation of that. It is curious then that I saw a few folks in the thread still wanting to connect to that "hidden network" without knowing what it is...

skeefiez11, Feb 8, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Most wifi A/P's on Channel 11, that have no SSID, are for utilities that remote read Power, water, Natural Gas.

Some people freak out when they see "Hidden" in the list of available access points. Even worse is the fact that Microsoft hs made ten very unsecure, by making it that your computer can automatically connect to someone's access point, who is in your contact list.

bro67, Feb 8, 2016
  13. TrustMe Win User

Hidden wifi

Hidden network = SSID not broadcasting. It just a security feature of the wireless router. With the SSID not broadcasting, it is suppose to be harder for anyone to hack your wifi.

TrustMe, Feb 8, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    All incorrect information. None of that is about security.

bro67, Feb 12, 2016
  15. TrustMe Win User
    What's it about then?

TrustMe, Feb 12, 2016
Thema:

Hidden wifi

1. Hidden wifi - Similar Threads - Hidden wifi

2. The wifi symbol remains hidden even after attempting fixes suggested by the community.

in Windows 10 Customization
    The wifi symbol remains hidden even after attempting fixes suggested by the community.: Dear Microsoft,Recently, I had a power outage, and when I restarted my computer, it began a disc repair. When my computer first started on and ran smoothly, I shut it down. The next time I turned it on, my network symbol vanished. I attempted every fix suggested in this...
  3. my wifi adapter keep became hidden once i open some certain game and i cant enable it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my wifi adapter keep became hidden once i open some certain game and i cant enable it...: i was playing "the finals" and i immediately realize my wifi disappeared i try to troubleshoot it but it cant find my wireless network so it only try to fix my LAN adapter. i check my device manager and i found out my wifi adapter is hidden i tried to restart my laptop and it...
  4. my wifi adapter keep became hidden once i open some certain game and i cant enable it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my wifi adapter keep became hidden once i open some certain game and i cant enable it...: i was playing "the finals" and i immediately realize my wifi disappeared i try to troubleshoot it but it cant find my wireless network so it only try to fix my LAN adapter. i check my device manager and i found out my wifi adapter is hidden i tried to restart my laptop and it...
  5. Wifi Network Now Missing and new "Hidden Network" shown - Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Network Now Missing and new "Hidden Network" shown - Windows 10 Home: The wifi network I use does not show up anymore on my laptop in my home. That particular computer is running Windows 10. Other networks are still there, like neighbors' networks2.4 and 5.0gHz, etc, but my network5.0gHz is no longer there, even though it shows up as usual on...
  6. Wifi Network Now Missing and new "Hidden Network" shown - Windows 10 Home

Wifi Network Now Missing and new "Hidden Network" shown - Windows 10 Home: The wifi network I use does not show up anymore on my laptop in my home. That particular computer is running Windows 10. Other networks are still there, like neighbors' networks2.4 and 5.0gHz, etc, but my network5.0gHz is no longer there, even though it shows up as usual on...
  7. Wifi Network Now Missing and new "Hidden Network" shown - Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Home WiFi showing up as Hidden Network, unable to connect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home WiFi showing up as Hidden Network, unable to connect: I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10 Pro. My home WiFi suddenly disappeared and instead there is a hidden network which I assume is it but I can't connect to it. My home WiFi works fine on my other devices and my laptop connects fine with my mobile hotspot. I've tried...
  9. Home WiFi showing up as Hidden Network, unable to connect

Home WiFi showing up as Hidden Network, unable to connect: I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10 Pro. My home WiFi suddenly disappeared and instead there is a hidden network which I assume is it but I can't connect to it. My home WiFi works fine on my other devices and my laptop connects fine with my mobile hotspot. I've tried...
  10. Home WiFi showing up as Hidden Network, unable to connect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing