Windows 10: Hide email / Ms user account at logon screen - Security !!

Discus and support Hide email / Ms user account at logon screen - Security !! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there. I stupidly signed on with an Ms user ID - so at login time it shows my user name (on the computer) + the email address (Ms account user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Oct 3, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Hide email / Ms user account at logon screen - Security !!

Hi there.

I stupidly signed on with an Ms user ID - so at login time it shows my user name (on the computer) + the email address (Ms account user name) on the login.

The old Local user just gave you your USER Name - and a panel to enter the password.

On the Ms user account login you have your name (say Fred) AND an email address say L: dogs@gmail.com before the panel for entering your password.

This to me is NOT a nice idea and BAD security especially if you say leave your computer LOCKED in a place where people pass through - I don't want to display my email address even on a LOCKED computer.

If I create / switch to a LOCAL account I can't use the same name (excluding the email) that I used for the Ms account.

Bit of a dogs dinner this one --.

Can I "undo" the Ms account and simply use the local account with the same name / settings etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 3, 2014

2. Password Screen

"I would like to inform you that it is by design you cannot hide your email address, so on the login screen it will show you’re email address."

I am very disappointed in this. Ever since I upgraded to W10 I've been bothered by the breach of privacy that the W10 logon screen forces upon me. I'm sure I'm not alone. Millions of people use laptops in public places every so often. I am constantly using
    the computer in public places and I feel forced to tilt the screen to hide my personal information from passersby, or seatmates on the plane, train, or bus. I honestly can't think of a good reason for requiring this design. Furthermore, the only options available
    to remove this information from public view require one to give up on essential security or endure inconvenience. Setting up for automatic logon means that my computer is accessible to anyone who touches it. Requiring Account and Password at each logon is
    extremely time-consuming. What was wrong with the Windows 7 login screen? Forcing logon through a Local Account is also very inconvenient because it denies the user automatic integration with Microsoft Account.

Please change this! Please allow your consumers to protect their privacy while enjoying all the benefits of Microsoft Account integration.

I suggest the following approach:

Allow users to substitute a pseudonym for their Microsoft Account name, and have the pseudonym appear on the logon screen, instead.

MosheArmelG, Oct 3, 2014
  3. Hip3zioed Win User
    User Startup logon screen How to hide a user when PC boots

I added at the end of my post HomeGroup$ as an "also". I am sorry for confusing the matter.

Actually all I want to do is not have a user or the HomeGroup$ or second user load at startup/boot. I only want my everyday user to startup/boot when my PC is turned on.

What this all boils down to is, I was actually looking for a way to use my wireless printer with my PC in a Home Network not a Wi-Fi. Example: Wireless USB mouse has a USB receiver, Wireless mouse and keyboard has a receiver, etc. Why not a wireless printer
    with a USB receiver? I don't need Wi-Fi for my printer I only need for my PC an wireless printer to communicate.

Hip3zioed, Oct 3, 2014
  4. bromanbro Win User

Hai Jimbo.

I think you can go to Control Panel>User Accounts>Change PC account settings in PC Settings>convert to local account.

I'm on a local account, so for me at shows "convert to MS account", but that method should work both ways o_o'

Also using a local account u can still sign in to Modern apps on a per-app basis.

bromanbro, Oct 3, 2014
  5. LittleJay Win User
    Converting from a MS account to a local account worked for me a few months ago in W8.1 Pro, so I'm assuming it will on W10 as well. Doing it that way saved all my settings, which creating a new local didn't didn't.

LittleJay, Oct 3, 2014
  6. bromanbro Win User
    Ya I've done that before on Windows 8 when I realized that logging in via hotmail account was super dum, tho I also haven't tested it on Windows 10, because **** MS accounts *Smile

bromanbro, Oct 3, 2014
  7. Cr00zng Win User
    Just tested that and it works, might as well changed the password as well:

Cr00zng, Oct 3, 2014
  8. Cr00zng Win User

I don't believe that with network connection you could install W10 without an MS account. I could be wrong...

The MS account is also used for activating W10 in the background, at least it did for me...

Cr00zng, Oct 3, 2014
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If you try and switch to a Local account - it says Name already in use when you want to set your user ID.!!!!!!!!

But my main gripe is that you can't hide the wretched email address on the Ms account.

What an utterly stupid system -- what's the point of extra layers of security if your email address is plain for all and sundry to see on a locked computer !!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 3, 2014
  10. Cr00zng Win User
    By default, switching picked my first name only and did not complain about "name already in use"... At least on my Wmvare W10 it did not and I've just done it.

Maybe you cannot use your full name for the local account? Even if the MS account name does not show in the list of user accounts after the change. Could be hidden somewhere in the registry...

Cr00zng, Oct 3, 2014
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not sure how you did that -- the error only shows up when you hit the NEXT button.

I think I'll simply clone a user -- I can't see this whole Microsoft ID carrying any traction on Corporate networks (and I'm using the ENTERPRISE version).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 3, 2014
  12. Cr00zng Win User
    Maybe you already have a local account by that name on your system? Try entering another UID...

Switching to local account on my system had no issues whatsoever...

Cr00zng, Oct 3, 2014
  13. Cr00zng Win User

On my W10, there are entries for the MS account in the registry, under:
    Maybe this registry entry preventing to use your first name as a UID?

Cr00zng, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hide email / Ms user account at logon screen - Security !! - Similar Threads - Hide email user

2. MS Account: Problem with changing email address Security section

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Account: Problem with changing email address Security section: I'm moving to another ISP, which means that my current email address will become deactivated.I was able to remove my old email address in my MS account and add the new one, but when I checked in the...
  3. Other User on logon screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Other User on logon screen: Hi, the laptop given to me by my school suddenly started saying other user on logon, I am not the administrator is there anyway to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/other-user-on-logon-screen/dbadf391-f7b2-44a2-aef4-dd4257875d3a
  4. Is this New -- Logon to Ms account in Windows security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is this New -- Logon to Ms account in Windows security: Hi folks not sure here but why is Windows asking me to logon to Microsoft account I think I changed a password or something so I can understand a prompt IF I need to use anything from Ms account e.g Windows digital license / one drive or whatever but I'm just basically...
  5. user accounts missing from logon screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    user accounts missing from logon screen: I have several user accounts on my laptop but after updating recently only about half of them now appear on my logon screen.The accounts still show in the users folder and are in the NETUSER list but they don't show in NETPLWIZ box.I have seen articles that suggest this can...
  6. How to hide a user account from the logon screen?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to hide a user account from the logon screen?: I'm trying to create a user account that I need to run some apps with using a remote connection. (The reason for a separate account is so that I can assign it a special set of permissions/privileges.) If I create just another user account, it shows up in the logon screen....
  7. How to hide a user account from the logon screen?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to hide a user account from the logon screen?: I'm trying to create a user account that I need to run some apps with using a remote connection. (The reason for a separate account is so that I can assign it a special set of permissions/privileges.) If I create just another user account, it shows up in the logon screen....
  8. I can't logon to my MS account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't logon to my MS account: I try to logon to my MS account and get invalid password message. Tried to recover the password and received 'there is no account associated with my email address'. Tried to create a MS ACCOUNT WITH MY EMAIL ADDRESS and I receive a message 'the account already exists'.Tried...
  9. Hide or remove user image at logon window

Hide or remove user image at logon window: Hi guys, is there a way to hide or remove the user picture at the login screen? I've managed to change the background image of the login screen, but that big circle that shows a picture of the user is pointless and ruins my image. [img] 34594
  10. Ms account - How do I HIDE email address on Logon / LOCK screen

Ms account - How do I HIDE email address on Logon / LOCK screen: Hi there The trouble with an Ms account is that the email address is part of the account and it displays on the logon / lock screen. If I'm in a public place I'd rather NOT have that info shown. Anyway to HIDE it or at least the email part. Cheers jimbo 7655