Windows 10: Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

Discus and support Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Your Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Night Hawk, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

How to: Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

How to Hide or Show Your Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 14328, email addresses of Microsoft accounts are now hidden by default on the sign-in screen.

This tutorial will show you how to hide or show account details (ex: email address) on the sign-in screen for your Microsoft account in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Sign-in screen showing email address of Microsoft account

Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Show account details (e.g. email address) on sign-in screen for what you want under Privacy on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 [​IMG]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Night Hawk, Apr 24, 2016
  2. DariuszV Win User

Hide email at login screen

I managed to hide the email address by following this method:

• Press WIN + I keys to access the Settings app.
    • Click on Users
    • Navigate to the Sign-in options section where you’ll will find the option
      Show account details on sign-in screen.
    • Set the switch to Off. Your email address will no longer appear at the login screen.
    If that option is not available for your Windows build, you can also use the group policy to block the system from showing email address. Check

this article
    for details.

DariuszV, Apr 24, 2016
  3. Girish M Win User
    The Windows 10 sign-in screen no longer shows my accounts’ email addresses

Hi,

To improve customer privacy, the Anniversary Update introduces a new option in Settings to either hide or show their email address at the sign-in screen.
    In order to protect our customer’s privacy concerns, the default setting for this option is toggled off, which keeps the email address hidden.

You can toggle this setting to show or hide your email address by going to
    Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options. If you want to display your email address, under “Privacy”, toggle the
    Show account details (e.g. email address) on sign-in screen setting to ON.

If you’re stuck on the sign-in screen and can’t tell which email address you are being asked to provide the password for, you can use the Recovery Console to determine which account is which.
    (Note: The following steps will not work if you have Bitlocker installed.)
    To do this:

1. From the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select
    Power > Restart.
    If you don't have a keyboard connected to your device (e.g. tablet), you'll need to use the on-screen touch keyboard to do this. From the Windows sign-in screen, select
    Ease of access icon in the lower-left corner, and select
    On-Screen Keyboard

2. After your PC restarts to the
    Choose an option
    screen, select Troubleshoot >
    Advanced Option > Command Prompt.

3. Your device will restart again and the OEM or Windows logo will appear while Windows prepares the Command Prompt.

4. The Command Prompt screen will ask for you to choose an account to continue.
    (Only administrator accounts will appear on this screen.)

5. Choose an account, and the email address will appear below the user name and you will be prompted for the password.
    Once you are signed into your account, you can go to Settings, and toggle the sign-in option to show email addresses, as described earlier.

Girish M, Apr 24, 2016
  4. Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

Hi Shawn,

I finally upgraded a machine to W10 a couple of days ago and I am seeing email addresses on the sign-in screen on that machine, and also on one that was upgraded a few months ago.

When I go into Settings/Accounts/Sign-in Options I don't have that Privacy section so no way to turn this off that I can see?

SaggyMaggyPoo, May 3, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 3, 2016
  6. My build is 10586.218 Shawn, but I only upgraded it a couple of days ago and did it through Windows Update. Seems like I've upgraded to an older version then.

I don't really want to do a clean install so I guess I'll just have to wait until my build catches up.

SaggyMaggyPoo, May 4, 2016
  7. TH2 or Theshold 2 Update! What you can do now is enable the Get insider builds option and allow the latest 332 build to upgrade over it and then use the Privacy option which by default hides personal details from both Welcome and Sign in screen. Up until until the 328 first brought that option in I was unable to record any upgrades having email addresses for the multiple MS accounts here all over everything.

On a VM just lately I tried transferring the 332 BT folder over to try an upgrade attemp over a 7 upgraded to TH2 upgrade and ended up seeing a clean install without the build arriving by way of the Windows Update function which is how the 332 would arrive for you there. That will go on fast and reset the UAC back to the full on position if you turned that down any.

The upgrade by update usually goes on fast without too problems. The only thing here that needed to be reinstalled following each newer build going on would be the software for the sound card being a separate expansion card there. Your main files and programs however are left untouched as this type of upgrade works more like putting an old service pack on rather then the upgrade from previous version type of often found buggy install.

Night Hawk, May 4, 2016
  8. Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't really want to get back into the Insider program now I've done the upgrade on my main laptop. So I'll just wait until the ability to hide email addresses becomes available in my build.

SaggyMaggyPoo, May 4, 2016
  9. Well that won't be until the Redstone 1 General update in late July being the anniversary build there. I will be planning a full clean install of that along with a full clean install of 7 Ultimate I have maintained in the continued dual boot.

The idea would be to see enabled long enough to get the newer build on and then hit the stop button if not wanting to wait that long. Your other quicker even option would be to set the laptop up for automatic login or use the Local account option instead where you can boot directly to the desktop. Then of course the laptop wouldn't be locked up when not in use either. But that would allow powering it up to bypass the email address display.

Night Hawk, May 4, 2016
  10. I waited almost 10 months before upgrading, so I guess I can manage a bit more waiting to be able to hide the email addresses. To be honest the laptops aren't used anywhere that showing the email addresses is a problem, just thought it would be good to hide them if possible.

I have thought about the automatic login option - I did use that when I was running Insider builds on a VM.

Thanks for your suggestions @nighthawk; afraid I can't add to your rep just now.

SaggyMaggyPoo, May 5, 2016
  11. The other idea that wouldn't be a help on the lock screen if the email addresses show there would be seeing a second Standard user account created. You could choose whether or not to see those locked up while not having any address to worry about as far as sharing any screenshots, etc.

For some YouTube projects the Privacy setting is a must have there since you can't simply delete any uploads but can leave them set to the private viewing option. So I can easily understand the want to that stuff hidden when showing how something is done publicly even! In fact when the Redstone 1 is out on ISO and I have to tend to a clean install of 10 from scratch again I will be seeing a new 7 VM upgraded to 10 and then onto the Insider build option all in one recording still seeing some pauses however while being able to take someone through each step of the processes. First the initial upgrade and then the how tos for getting the Insider builds going and you don't want other things showing!

Night Hawk, May 6, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    @SaggyMaggyPoo have you considered setting up a local Administrator's account and using that? If you do that only the User Name will show.

essenbe, May 6, 2016
  13. Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

I suggested that earlier as well as a possible second Standard account for each laptop that could either left unlocked without a password assigned or locked up while that would tend to force the lock screen appearance. Without a lock an automatic boot into the Standard used daily account would elude the email as well as be the assigned account to boot into. The Local account would appear right under not above the admin account which does see the email address.

When gong to record VMs I would first see the VM set up without an MS account to simply have Insider or some other alias admin account. The option with the laptops would be either the second Standard or second admin created before nuking the first and then adding on a new MS account which would still show the email address but not be the primary login account.

The Privacy option however is still the best move MS made lately while the Settings area could use a few more options there besides the Lock screen but no account pic shows on the Welcome screen and no option to display one found? Of course if the concern is mostly over the lock screen that can be disabled entirely! See the other guide for that option. Lock Screen - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, May 6, 2016
  14. This is actually what I use, but I also have a non-admin Microsoft account on the laptop and this shows on the login screen with its email address. I know that I could set up automatic login but I do prefer to have to remember the password - you never know when you might need to know it!

As I think I said in a previous post, while it will be nice to hide email addresses, at present it's only a minor irritation and I'm happy to wait till the build catches up to me.

But thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.

SaggyMaggyPoo, May 11, 2016
  15. With the latest Insider builds you can see them locked up and by default only the admin user account name is present on the sign in screen. The new Privacy setting comes enabled by default. That certainly comes in hand now that some videos have been uploaded on how to do things in 10.

Night Hawk, May 11, 2016
Thema:

Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

1. Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hide Show Email

2. Sign in screen shows only partial login ID of email address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in screen shows only partial login ID of email address: Hey all. Updated to Windows 11 and since then, my login ID when rebooting only shows the first 5 letters of my login ID email. This is the same 5 letters Windows 11 chose for my C: User name for some reason.When I complete the rest of the login ID, windows logs me in as...
  3. Sign in screen shows only partial login ID of email address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sign in screen shows only partial login ID of email address: Hey all. Updated to Windows 11 and since then, my login ID when rebooting only shows the first 5 letters of my login ID email. This is the same 5 letters Windows 11 chose for my C: User name for some reason.When I complete the rest of the login ID, windows logs me in as...
  4. Wrong email address for signing in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong email address for signing in: I'm signing into my account everywhere using a personal email address me@mydomain which is set as my primary and only sign-in alias at account.live.com/signinpreferences. But, when I go to account.microsoft.com/profile under account info, it insists that my other *** Email...
  5. Wrong email address for signing in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong email address for signing in: I'm signing into my account everywhere using a personal email address me@mydomain which is set as my primary and only sign-in alias at account.live.com/signinpreferences. But, when I go to account.microsoft.com/profile under account info, it insists that my other *** Email...
  6. Show or hide Network icon on Sign-in screen and Lock screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Show or hide Network icon on Sign-in screen and Lock screen in Windows 10: [ATTACH]By default, the Network icon (or Wi-Fi icon) is visible on both the sign-in […] This article Show or hide Network icon on Sign-in screen and Lock screen in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. remove email address from sign-in screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove email address from sign-in screen: 1. I don't want my email address shown on the sign-in screen of Windows 10 Home. How can I remove it? I have already switched the option ' Show account details such as email address on the sign-in screen' (settings ->Accounts->Sign-in options->Privacy) to OFF, but my email...
  8. Change Windows 10 sign-in email address

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change Windows 10 sign-in email address: I have a new email address and soon intend to stop using the email address associated with my Windows account. Can you please give me up-to-date details of how to do this. I know this question has been asked before, but the replies in the locked thread (now 2 years old) are...
  9. email address shows on log in screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    email address shows on log in screen: Jut had a Windows update (Sept 17 2016) and now on the log in screen it shows my preferred picture and beneath it my email address (Microsoft account). It did not do this before. How can I revert back to picture only. Win 10 Home Edition (upgraded from Win7 last year)...
  10. Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 Windows 10 has a new sign in screen that is more modern and touch friendly. By default, you need to dismiss the sign in to Windows...