Windows 10: Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10

Discus and support Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hide or Show Search Box or Search Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Search Box or Search Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Charlie, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Charlie Win User

Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10

How to: Hide or Show Search Box or Search Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10

How to Hide or Show Search Box or Search Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10

Search Windows and the web from the taskbar to find help, apps, files, settingsyou name it. You can also get quick answers from the weblike weather, stock prices, currency conversion, and much moreand get to websites faster by using links in the preview pane.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18305.1003, Microsoft separated the Search and Cortana UI by giving them individual buttons and flyouts on the taskbar. The separate Search and Cortana features are currently only available for some Windows Insiders using A/B testing. If you have been included in this A/B testing, you can select to hide or show the separate Search and Cortana buttons on the taskbar now.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18317, Microsoft will be decoupling Search and Cortana in the taskbar. This will enable each experience to innovate independently to best serve their target audiences and use cases. Some Insiders have had this update for a few weeks now. For those new to this update, when it rolls out to you, youll find clicking the search box in the taskbar now launches our experience focused on giving you the best in house search experience and clicking the Cortana icon will launch you straight into our voice-first digital assistant experience.

UPDATE: Search and Cortana are now separated for everyone.

*Arrow How to Hide or Show Cortana Button on Taskbar in Windows 10

This tutorial will show you how to show search icon, show search box, or hide search on your taskbar in Windows 10.

*tip You can also also press the Windows+S keys to open search.

Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note If you have multiple displays, then the search box (if set to show) will only show on the main display with the other displays showing the search icon.

If you have tablet mode turned on, then you will see this below when you right click on the taskbar instead.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Hide or Show Search Box or Search Icon on Taskbar in Taskbar Context Menu
    • Option Two: To Hide or Show Search Box or Search Icon on Taskbar using a REG File

EXAMPLE: Search box and search icon on taskbar

OPTION ONE [/i] To Hide or Show Search Box or Search Icon on Taskbar in Taskbar Context Menu
    1. Right click or press and hold on the taskbar on your main display, click/tap on Search, and click/tap on Hidden, Show search icon, or Show search box for what you want to check.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Hide or Show Search Box or Search Icon on Taskbar using a REG File Download
    *note The downloadable .bat files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search

SearchboxTaskbarMode DWORD

0 = Hidden
    1 = Show search icon
    2 = Show search box

1. Do step 2 (search box), step 3 (search icon), or step 4 (hide) below for what you want.

2. To Show Search Box on Taskbar

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 5 below.

Show_search_box_on_taskbar.bat

Download

3. To Show Search Icon on Taskbar
    *note If you disabled Cortana, you will only have a Search icon available instead of Cortana icon.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 5 below.

Show_search_icon_on_taskbar.bat

Download

4. To Hide Search on Taskbar

Hide_search_on_taskbar.bat

Download
    5. Save the .bat file to your desktop, and run it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run.

*note If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by unblocking the downloaded .bat file.

7. You will now notice your screen flicker as explorer is restarted.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Charlie, Nov 8, 2014
  2. DaveM121 Win User

search box in task bar

Hi Phil,

Right click your Taskbar, choose Search - Hidden

Does this remove the search box, if so it is Cortana Search, which is part of Windows

You can either show the search box, the icon or hide it altogether

If it does not hide, it is probably some bloatware, please provide a screenshot of the search box if that is the case . . .

DaveM121, Nov 8, 2014
  3. bru20 Win User
    How can I turn on the search icon?

I realize you resolved this a while ago but for anyone else who like me ran in to this issue the solution is simple.

You can not have both the Cortana and Search icon on the taskbar. If the Cortana icon is present just hiding by right clicking the taskbar and selecting Hidden for Cortana will only hide the icon not turn off Cortana. In All Settings go to Cortana & Search
    Settings and follow the prompts to turn off Cortana. When Cortana is turned off the circle icon will disappear and the magnifying glass (search) icon should appear in its place. Now when you right click the taskbar you will see Search with the option to
    show or hide the icon.

Also, if you want the search box rather than the icon you need to uncheck "use small taskbar buttons". HTH

bru20, Nov 8, 2014
  4. Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10

The file won't download to show the searchbox on my tool bar. I've tried downloading the bat for a while now. Also putting 2 in for the dword does not work

fstrausser, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello fstrausser, and welcome to Ten Forums.

I'm not sure what had happened, but the download links are fixed now. Please try again. *Smile

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
  6. No problem. Verified that the download works, however it doens't work for me. I still ONLY have the Cortana Icon option available. The searchbox isn't available.....

Thoughts?

fstrausser, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Also I have tried to change the registry myself.... everytime I change it to 2, it changes back to 1... by itself. We have 3 laptops and a desktop, my laptop is the only one being stupid like this. I really want the searchbar.... other ideas?

fstrausser, Aug 3, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 3, 2015
  9. it didn't work here...

jhonatanjhs, Aug 3, 2015
  10. My screen shot would be exactly what is posted, but in English....

I have Windows 10 home edition.

fstrausser, Aug 3, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Please post a screenshot showing all of your taskbar included to see if it may reveal a cause. *Smile

Brink, Aug 3, 2015
  12. Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 [​IMG]

windows 10 pro x64 , build 10240

I also tried changing the language, but it didn't make any difference

jhonatanjhs, Aug 3, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

I must admit that I'm not sure why you do not have "Show search box" in the context menu.

Where did you get you copy of Windows 10 from?

You might consider a clean install of Windows 10 to see if that may sort it.

Brink, Aug 3, 2015
  14. I downloaded from the "Media Creation Tool". I thought about it but it's not worth the trouble ^^*Smile

jhonatanjhs, Aug 3, 2015
  15. Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here is my screenshot attached.

Did regular upgrade. I have an HP laptop.

fstrausser, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hide Show Search

2. Search on taskbar set to search box but still icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search on taskbar set to search box but still icon: System: Windows 11 22h2 last version.Windows updated the appearance of the search box last time, but after I set it to the search box in the settings, the search is still displayed as icon.Create a new user and it can be set up and show search box normally.The same problem...
  3. Search on taskbar set to search box but still icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search on taskbar set to search box but still icon: System: Windows 11 22h2 last version.Windows updated the appearance of the search box last time, but after I set it to the search box in the settings, the search is still displayed as icon.Create a new user and it can be set up and show search box normally.The same problem...
  4. Why are Icons not showing on the windows search box?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are Icons not showing on the windows search box?: This happens for all the icons that show up when I look up apps like Calendar, Calculator, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-icons-not-showing-on-the-windows-search/b34f39ba-df68-4289-9ae8-5fd7750b6ef3
  5. Explorer search box - temp hide/disable (not taskbar search).

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer search box - temp hide/disable (not taskbar search).: Reading elsewhere it seems that the idea of wanting to hide/disable the Explorer search box is stupid .... I have multiple duplicates from years of being paranoid (copies of backups and vice versa). Now housekeeping "extreme". On my 1920x1080 screen even with navigation pane...
  6. Cortana search box

in Cortana
    Cortana search box: Hello, I reinstall Windows and have a problem with Cortana. Before I can choose three functions to show Cortana on the taskbar: Hidden, Show Cortana button and Show Cortana search box. Now I can choose only Show Cortana button after clicking right mouse button on the taskbar....
  7. Icons not showing in Windows Search Box on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Icons not showing in Windows Search Box on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Icons help a user to select a file or identify that file. Both the complexity and visual appearance of the software goes down when these icons are not present. Some users have been facing this issue. They are reporting that [...] This post Icons not showing...
  8. Small taskbar icons and Cortana search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Small taskbar icons and Cortana search: Hey guys *Smile Have a question! When using “small taskbar icons” is their a way to show the cortana search bar? Thanks, greatly appreciated! 105387
  9. Hide or Show Cortana Button on Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Cortana Button on Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show Cortana Button on Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Cortana Button on Taskbar in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your...
  10. Cortana / Search Box

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana / Search Box: The search box keeps popping open at random. I turned off Cortana but the search box keeps coming on. This is very annoying. If I want to do a search I'll open it myself. How can I stop the Cortana / Search box from popping itself on? 31998