Windows 10: Hide the administrator account in the login screen?

Discus and support Hide the administrator account in the login screen? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, Is there any way that I can hide the Administrator account during the login screen but at the same time access it whenever I need it. Like if... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by lolcocks, Nov 7, 2015.

1. lolcocks Win User

Hide the administrator account in the login screen?

Hi,
    Is there any way that I can hide the Administrator account during the login screen but at the same time access it whenever I need it.

Like if the user logs off, he should not see the Administrator account, only his standard account.

But I will also need to access the Administrator account from time to time so it should be accessible.

Any idea how I can do this?

Offtopic:
    Things were much easier during XP where one just had to put in the Username to access their account. *Biggrin

:)

lolcocks, Nov 7, 2015

2. Can't delete files

Hello,

I suggest you to login with built-in admin account and then try to delete files and check.

To enable Admin account follow the steps below:

In search type "cmd" and right click on the command prompt and open as Administrator (Elevated command prompt).

In the elevated Command Prompt, type the following command and then press Enter key.

Net user administrator /active:yes, close the Command Prompt.

Restart PC, then you will be able to see Administrator account. Login here and do the changes.

To hide the Admin account, use the below command:

Net user administrator /active:no

Write to us, if you need further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Nov 7, 2015
  3. netplwiz is frozen in Windows 10

Who set up the PC? Is it a factory install which came with both Administrator and Home User accounts? If the only account showing up in Account Settings (check under My Info and Family and other Accounts) is Home User then it may merely have unhidden the
    built-in Admin account which is normally hidden. To check this use the hide command in:

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10

If this doesn't remove the Admin account then scour again all the Accounts setting pages to see if you see its listing.

In order to get netplwiz to work to hide the Log-in screen, it may require elevating the Home User account to Admin level.

How to change a Windows 10 user account type and why
    . This should unblock the settings in the wizard

See also
    How to Skip the Windows 10 Login Screen

and
    Disable login screen, netplwiz did not work | Windows 10 Forums

Please let us know how this goes. I'll keep working with you until it's fixed.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 7, 2015
  4. Hide the administrator account in the login screen?

You can still do this through group policy. Don't remember the policy name off hand, but you disable viewing of last user to log on, and you are then forced to enter in the User name And Password each time for every user.

DustSailor, Nov 7, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    Assuming you are referring to the built-in Administrator Account.

My suggestions :
    1. Give the built-in Admin a password only you know. That way, other users cannot access it even it shows up on screen. And you will be able to logon to it easily.

2. Disable the Admin Account ...........
    Logon to your own account with admin rights.
    Right click at tart > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this .......
    net user administrator /active:no
    > Enter.
    The Admin Account will not show up on sign in screen.

To enable the Admin account, in the Command Prompt (Admin), type............................
    net user administrator /active:yes

Not sure if that is what you want.

davidhk, Nov 7, 2015
  6. Brack Win User
    I think the policy you want (and DustSailor mentioned) is called Interactive logon: Do not display last user name. Enabling this should return you to having to type in a user name and password, as opposed to selecting a user name from a list of users. This will still allow you access to the Administrator account. Another policy you may be interested in is Accounts: Rename administrator account.

How-to:
    • Press Start
    • Type gpedit
    • Press Enter
    • Navigate to Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options
    • Double Click Interactive logon: Do not display last user name
    • Set this to enabled.

Brack, Nov 7, 2015
  7. larry Win User
    Hi lolcocks! In Windows XP, the built-in administrator account is disabled by default, it is invisible at Windows login screen but you can access it from safe mode. Things have changed since Windows Vista, if an account is disabled, you're unable to access it from either normal mode or safe mode.

larry, Nov 7, 2015
  8. davidhk Win User

Here is the tutorial including all methods to enable or disable built-in Admin Account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

davidhk, Nov 7, 2015
  9. lolcocks Win User
    Thanks everyone, +rep to everyone.
    All posts by you guys are valid solutions, I will use the one best suited for me. *Smile

lolcocks, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hide the administrator account in the login screen? - Similar Threads - Hide administrator account

2. windows 10 administrator account not showing in login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows 10 administrator account not showing in login screen: Hello, The Administrator account is not showing in the login screen. It only allows me to login with a Microsoft Account which I do not have access to. I have made sure that the account is enabled by login into Safe Mode and running net user administrator /active:yes but when...
  3. windows 10 administrator account not showing in login screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 administrator account not showing in login screen: Hello, The Administrator account is not showing in the login screen. It only allows me to login with a Microsoft Account which I do not have access to. I have made sure that the account is enabled by login into Safe Mode and running net user administrator /active:yes but when...
  4. windows 10 administrator account not showing in login screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Account Administrator Login Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account Administrator Login Issue: Trying to login to my windows account on my desktop as administrator and it asks me for my windows password again, and I type in the same exact password, and it says it is incorrect. Not sure what to do to get logged in. I keep having account issues, and I'm pretty sure this...
  6. Account Administrator Login Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account Administrator Login Issue: Trying to login to my windows account on my desktop as administrator and it asks me for my windows password again, and I type in the same exact password, and it says it is incorrect. Not sure what to do to get logged in. I keep having account issues, and I'm pretty sure this...
  7. Account Administrator Login Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Local Administrator account will not login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local Administrator account will not login: A new local non-Microsoft account was just created with a new password in Windows 10. When the login screen comes up from "Switch users," and the new account name and password are entered, the account will not login. Both the user name and the password have been updated and...
  9. Local Administrator account will not login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Administrator account will not login: A new local non-Microsoft account was just created with a new password in Windows 10. When the login screen comes up from "Switch users," and the new account name and password are entered, the account will not login. Both the user name and the password have been updated and...
  10. Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to show Administrator or Guest account on login screen: July 15, 2017 I have WIN 10 Pro on a Dell laptop. I have been unable to find a way to show ALL accounts, User, (built in) Administrator, Guest account, etc at WIN 10 login/sign on. The only account I can get to show in my user account (which has administrator status)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. local security policy hide administrator logon account special

2. hide phone info with different login