Windows 10: High Authentication Failures

Discus and support High Authentication Failures in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi Team, I am observing huge authentication failures(4625, 4776) on my domain controllers. Authentication failures are coming from the local account... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ravi KiranSharma, Jul 23, 2018.

1. High Authentication Failures

Hi Team,

I am observing huge authentication failures(4625, 4776) on my domain controllers. Authentication failures are coming from the local account in the workstations.

Multiple machines are trying to authenticate to DC using this local account and obviously as the local account is not configured on DC, it will get authentication failures. The count is very high near to 1000 in a day from multiple workstations.

Brief about local account: Our internal team is using this local account to add new machines to the domain. After adding machines to the domain, this local account becomes useless.

Why is workstation trying to authenticate to DC using local account?

How can we fix this problem?

Raw payload:

AgentDevice=WindowsLog
    AgentLogFile=Security
    PluginVersion=7.2.5.27
    Source=Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
    Computer=XXXXXXXXX

OriginatingComputer=XXXXXXXXXXX
    User=
    Domain=
    EventID=4625
    EventIDCode=4625
    EventType=16
    EventCategory=12544
    Level=0
    Keywords=0
    Task=0
    Opcode=0

Message=An account failed to log on.

Subject:
    Security ID: NULL SID
    Account Name: -
    Account Domain: -
    Logon ID: 0x0
    Logon Type: 3

Account For Which Logon Failed:
    Security ID: NULL SID
    Account Name: localuser
    Account Domain: mylaptop

Failure Information:
    Failure Reason: Unknown user name or bad password.
    Sub Status: 0xc0000064

Process Information:
    Caller Process ID: 0x0
    Caller Process Name: -
    Network Information:
    Workstation Name: mylaptop
    Source Network Address: 10.1.32.2.23
    Source Port: 61905

Detailed Authentication Information:
    Logon Process: NtLmSsp
    Authentication Package: NTLM
    Transited Services: - Package Name (NTLM only): - Key Length: 0

:)

Ravi KiranSharma, Jul 23, 2018
  2. pylyshyn Win User

Mystery Notification of authentication failure

Whenever I am on my PC (WIN10) I get periodic popup notifications of a login error due to authentication failure. I am not in Gmail nor have I given permission for any Apps to log in. But I still keep getting authentication failure messages from Gmail or some other agent -- a real nuisance that occurs at random about every 5 minutes or so. How can I stop these? *Huh

pylyshyn, Jul 23, 2018
  3. Jurgen G. Win User
    Authenticator Error - You have entered too many invalid codes

Thank you bill24557 for your contribution,

I suggest you turn off the Two step authenticator, then update your account information on
    https://account.live.com also uninstall the app.

Once you've done the steps turn on the Two step authenticator again and install the app.

Kindest Regards,

Jurgen G., Jul 23, 2018
  4. poit57 Win User

High Authentication Failures

Microsoft Account authentication

After more research, I have found my answer. It looks like the issue was that Microsoft released a new Microsoft Authenticator app with the features first introduced in Microsoft Authenticator Beta. The new app received a prompt to approve access to my Microsoft
    Account when signing on from a new PC, though I find it strange that the beta app wasn't directly upgraded to the new version of the app.

Microsoft now has three 2 step authentication apps available in the store for Windows 10 Mobile:

• Authenticator - original app from Windows Phone 8
    • Microsoft Authenticator Beta - originally released to Windows 10 users when Windows 10 Mobile was only available on the Windows Insider program.
    • Microsoft Authenticator - the official Windows 10 app no longer in beta

poit57, Jul 23, 2018
Thema:

High Authentication Failures

1. High Authentication Failures - Similar Threads - High Authentication Failures

2. Folder Sharing Authentication Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Sharing Authentication Failure: Three computers, all Windows 11, A, B, and C.Folders shared on computer A can be seen by B and CFolders shared on computer B can be seen by A and CFolders shared on computer C cannot be accessed from A or B.Folder sharing by C used to work, but failed after a recent update....
  3. Folder Sharing Authentication Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Sharing Authentication Failure: Three computers, all Windows 11, A, B, and C.Folders shared on computer A can be seen by B and CFolders shared on computer B can be seen by A and CFolders shared on computer C cannot be accessed from A or B.Folder sharing by C used to work, but failed after a recent update....
  4. Driver Failure + High CPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Driver Failure + High CPU usage: so I recently updated the window on 16th march, then my headphone started to not working even at full volume. But when I tried with a Bluetooth headphone it worked. I checked the Driver in device manager and saw that there's a driver failure in Realtek Digital Output RealtekR...
  5. Driver Failure + High CPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver Failure + High CPU usage: so I recently updated the window on 16th march, then my headphone started to not working even at full volume. But when I tried with a Bluetooth headphone it worked. I checked the Driver in device manager and saw that there's a driver failure in Realtek Digital Output RealtekR...
  6. KB5013941 still in Windows Update Domain Controller Authentication Failure?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5013941 still in Windows Update Domain Controller Authentication Failure?: I just checked for updates on two of our Server 2019 domain controllers, and KB5013941 downloaded and installed. Given the fact this causes authentication issues, is there a reason why this was not pulled from Windows Update? Or does Microsoft expect it to be installed, and...
  7. Kernel Power Failures and High Refresh Rates?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Kernel Power Failures and High Refresh Rates?: I’ve been having some problems with my gaming PC and random crashes. What will happen is that I will play certain games, anywhere from 20 seconds up to 5 minutes, and the computer will black screen and restart. When I check the event log, it’s the same message every time....
  8. Authentication Failure

in Windows 10 Customization
    Authentication Failure: Hi, I did a fresh install of Windows 10 1903. I have a single local administrator account. I have no problem login in to Windows on the computer itself. But if i try to connect using remote desktop or connect to a shared drive, authentication for the same user always...
  9. server authentication failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    server authentication failure: supposedly the authentication method used (or currently selected ?) in windows for my VPN setup does not align (communicate ?) with the server Im trying to connect to (work server). However, the same exact setup works on my surface pro, but not on my laptop. Windows 10 on...
  10. Mystery Notification of authentication failure

in Windows 10 Support
    Mystery Notification of authentication failure: Whenever I am on my PC (WIN10) I get periodic popup notifications of a login error due to authentication failure. I am not in Gmail nor have I given permission for any Apps to log in. But I still keep getting authentication failure messages from Gmail or some other agent -- a...