Windows 10: High Contrast Themes in W8.1 and W10

Discus and support High Contrast Themes in W8.1 and W10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have made a brief outline on how to apply high contrast themes in W8.1 and W10. In W7 the technique is different. High contrast is a big advantage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by whs, Mar 17, 2015.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

High Contrast Themes in W8.1 and W10

I have made a brief outline on how to apply high contrast themes in W8.1 and W10. In W7 the technique is different. High contrast is a big advantage for those like me who have a reduced vision.

The outline is at my One Drive. Because of the setup I chose, it would have been difficult to post it here. Just click on this link.

Note: With a left click on the tile at the site, you can read it in your browser. But the pictures do not come out very good. With a right click you can download the 5 page PDF. It will show better in your PDF reader.

The quality of the video suffered also a bit. The YouTube conversion always degrades the videos somewhat. In reality the high contrast pages are more vibrant with more contrast.

:)

2. lacrumb Win User

I am red green colorblind and windows 10 is about 20% invisible. Any suggestions

Have you tried Themes and tried High Contrast Black or High Contrast White or one of the other High Contrast Themes?

lacrumb, Mar 17, 2015
  3. Restore default Windows 10 display "background" and "color"

You are currently in a High Contrast theme. Go to Settings :: Ease of Access :: High Contrast and turn off the High Contrast theme.

zachd [MSFT], Mar 17, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

One peculiarity, on my machine at least is, if you don't keep 'Selected text' black:

High Contrast Themes in W8.1 and W10 [​IMG]

... some 'buttons' in the Modern UI will remain inverted in color:

Edwin, Apr 17, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Thanks Edwin for pointing that out. I'll have to check that.

6. Edwin New Member
    My current High Contrast colors; I'm actually starting to appreciate the possibilities.
    I've yet to determine how I got the FF UI to stay like that but it looks great, I like it!

Edwin, Apr 18, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Even the Office Preview doesn't look too bad in High Contrast!

Edwin, May 5, 2015
  8. High Contrast Themes in W8.1 and W10

That ugly those edges in the system tray, I hope to be removed in the final version

Pallocchio, Jun 4, 2015
  9. STEVAE Win User
    i don't like what high contrast does to my start menu and others, but i would like to be able to change the background color of my windows, and would definitely like to be able to change the color or transparency of my title bars.

STEVAE, Jun 13, 2015
  10. Look how nice it would this theme:

Here you can vote because microsoft make this themes:
    Windows design – Feature Suggestions for Windows

Pallocchio, Jun 14, 2015
  11. STEVAE Win User
    yeah, these are things that might happen in the future, and what i need is something that i can get now. of course when windows is official, there will be thousands of new themes and customizations from third party venders, but what is there right now is the thing on my mind. in my earlier post, i as talking about the high contrast themes in windows right now.

STEVAE, Jun 14, 2015
  12. Heh, I came across this thread because my eyes have been tired lately and I loved Edwin's customization I was like wow, that looks amazing how come I can't do that. And then I released that stupid Microsoft removed this feature in Windows 10061? Why?

I must be blind as a bat or not too much time on my hands these days but doesn't it bother anyone at all that we cannot change the color of the title bars anymore? Stuck at white & grey? I won't lie when my eyes get strained I have a hard time distinguishing from focused to unfocused windows these days .... Really irritating when I'm doing multiple things at once, like currently .... anyone?

heyyahblah, Jul 2, 2015
  13. High Contrast Themes in W8.1 and W10

Aabhi021290, Jul 21, 2015
  14. Edwin New Member
    This theme works well in almost all areas, immersive and native, 'buttons', links, hyperlinks, etc, so I thought I would share it here as well.
    I applied a few tweaks and supplied a few 'extras'.

The items included are:
    - The Themepack itself,

- 'Avqest' Fonts (optional),

- Gold animated cursor (optional),

- Desktop Background,

- 215 Icons ico and 215 Icons png, (optional), (courtesy of 'icebabee') http://icebabee.deviantart.com/art/B...Gold-259576159
    sample:

The files can be downloaded here:

http://1drv.ms/1J6cTSq

The text is a little dim but you could brighten it a little within the Color Palette:

Notes:
    Between Firefox, Edge and IE, surprisingly Edge holds all the elements the best! *Wink
    Getting custom icons to work in some areas is tricky, want some help, just ask. *Smile

Enjoy! Doesn't cost a cent! *Smile

Edwin, Aug 9, 2015
  15. Edwin New Member
    Edit:
    Seeing as how I'm adamant about keeping the text the same shade as the desktop background logo, I've boosted the text size and boldness here:

It helps a bit.
    Browsers you can change the zoom in themselves.
    Changing the global dpi to something higher than 100%, however, renders the above function unusable.

Edwin, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

1. High Contrast Themes in W8.1 and W10 - Similar Threads - High Contrast Themes

2. I absolutely love the built-in high contrast theme!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I absolutely love the built-in high contrast theme!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/KvoDon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hu3xcw/i_absolutely_love_the_builtin_high_contrast_theme/
  3. High contrast office theme without setting system to high contrast?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High contrast office theme without setting system to high contrast?: Can I set Office programs to high contrast individually without setting my entire system to high contrast? I have an OLED display, so I'm looking for as much black as possible and high contrast is perfect. submitted by /u/normiewageslave [link] [comments]...
  4. How to set the default High Contrast Theme

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set the default High Contrast Theme: I have setup a custom high contrast theme at work. When I need to share my screen with others on Skype/Lync I switch back to a standard windows them as most people are thrown off when they see a non-standard layout. Unless you are used to High Contrast it can sometimes be...
  5. Windows 10 stuck on High Contrast #1 Theme

Windows 10 stuck on High Contrast #1 Theme: Windows 10 version 1803 always boots up with the High Contrast #1 Theme set? *Shock note 1:Themes were working fine up to the version 1709 update? *chuckle note 2: I was forced to re-install after a crashed disk and again themes worked fine up until version 1709. This is a...
  6. White boxes in black High Contrast theme

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    White boxes in black High Contrast theme: Dear Microsoft I have been patiently waiting for this issue to be fixed for years (ever since Windows 8) but you have not fixed it, and I am tired of waiting. Maybe this is not a big deal for those, who use the standard white windows theme, but for those of us who have eye...
  7. My struggle to set a high contrast theme

My struggle to set a high contrast theme: One of the first things I always do for a new OS or a new build is to set a nice high contrast theme. That helps me a lot to see things. In Windows 8.1 and in Mint Mate that is very easy and convenient. In Windows 7 it is a bit trickier for the color selection. Now I tried...
  8. High Contrast Theme Problem

High Contrast Theme Problem: After about 4 weeks of windows 10 I'm still dealing with visual clarity issues. I have bad eyesight, so I'm forced to use high contrast themes. If I use a regular 10 themes, type fonts are very grey and I cannot adjust the brightness or contrast to my liking. I've tried...
  9. High Contrast Theme Font Change

High Contrast Theme Font Change: I have to use HC themes because normal windows 10 themes are washed out and light grey text for me. The problem is I cannot change the font size, which is 9 point size for everything. I was think 10 point. A reboot does not help. Is it because of the HC theme ro...
  10. Are there and Windows Ten High Contrast Themes that don’t require the

Are there and Windows Ten High Contrast Themes that don’t require the: I just upgrade to Win 10 from 7 where I used a high contrast theme which required the old classic theme. I was able to re-install the classic themes and Win 10 does do better with the HC versions in general – with the OS, apps and browsers and sites. But, I do miss the...