Windows 10: High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory

Discus and support High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone , well, for a while I 'm having problems with locking while I surf the internet after five minutes browsing the facebook the browser... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Meephz, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Meephz Win User

High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory

Hello everyone , well, for a while I 'm having problems with locking while I surf the internet after five minutes browsing the facebook the browser begins to catch and is impossible to do anything , I noticed that this occurs when the system and compressed memory reaches 15% use the CPU when closing facebook use immediately falls to less than 1 % and the browser back to normal.Is there any solution to this problem ? I never had it before and started to happen with these recent updates.

before:
    High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory [​IMG]

after:

I'm sorry for my bad english.

:)

Meephz, Feb 20, 2016
  2. DenetteBoyd-King, Feb 20, 2016
  3. System and compressed memory high CPU usage

HP pavilion Windows 10 home. The process System and compressed memory runs with high cpu usage. The computer is almost frozen and in some cases restarts. I have seen a lot of discussions on this issue. I have tried few things but whithout success. In safe
    mode the computer works well.

Is there an article that presents the steps to be followed to solve this problem?

Adrian_710, Feb 20, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Make some AV scans. It could be a virus.

5. Meephz Win User
    Nothing found, any tip?

Meephz, Feb 21, 2016
  6. I'm also experiencing the same issue and thought it was driver related (specifically GPU) because I was noticing video/gifs that auto play on Facebook breaking and lagging but it seems to be related to System & Compressed Memory hitting a threshold and then sitting at just below 30% utilization.

Facebook causing high utilization:

Tab closed:

If the tab with Facebook is left alone, moved to just a text post etc. it will still remain at ~30% utilization and won't drop until that tab is closed. I've tested with running Youtube videos and general browsing but it seems to be an issue with the high amount of video content that Facebook needs to load and possibly how chrome is handling this? I'll start testing with an alternate browser and I have reverted some changes I've made to my PC since I've noticed this issue appearing. Will report back if I notice any changes.

highcpulowdpm, Feb 21, 2016
  7. A few tests with IE11.

IE living it up with Youtube + Facebook open:

Facebook tab closed - still high utilization:

Youtube tab closed and just front page of reddit loaded - still high.

Google front page loaded only - still high.

Disappeared after closing IE11 completely - unsure of what this means but possibly has something to do with how chrome handles windows/tabs (individual processes) which is different to IE?

Edit: Further info so I don't spam the thread - I restarted my computer to apply some changes I made semi-recently such as self managing my page file and installing Intel Rapid Technology to make some changes to my drives and monitor their health but this seems to have made no change with uninstalling these programs and setting the system to manage the page file.

I managed to use Facebook for around 10 minutes before system compressed started kicking up again, interesting enough looking further on the net I can see a few other threads that have popped up in the last 24 hours with similar symptoms. One suggestion was refreshing the Facebook tab - this instantly drops the S&CM task to no usage.

I don't have anything further to add - hopefully some further cases appear so a pattern can be established.

highcpulowdpm, Feb 21, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

There are 5+ threads in this forum on system and compressed memory, however I don't think they relate to Facebook, so that's new. Thanks.

dalchina, Feb 22, 2016
  9. I can confirm I am having the same issue with windows 10 system and compressed memory when using facebook in google chrome

I could have 15+ tabs open full of youtube videos and other things and everything will be fine. But if I have a facebook tab open, even if I am only running 1 tab in chrome, and I have scrolled passed several facebook videos, google chrome will start to lag and video in facebook will become choppy and worst off the more I scroll in facebook. It will only fix itself once I close the facebook tab.

During the problem, system and compressed memory will be running at 20-30% and my ram usage can be low (<40%) as it can happen when I only have 1 tab open in chrome (facebook).

This is a fresh install of windows 10 and then I installed chrome, and this issue has occurred on the first day of running win10. I have tried running a stock version of chrome that has been reset, running no extensions.

brands2131, Mar 9, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Could be interesting to see if you experience the same with Firefox, if you've the time.

You may have noticed if you search (generally) for (exactly)
    "system and compressed memory" chrome

you get a great many reports suggesting a general problem.

Feedback to MS - via technet, and try
    Windows key + ?

dalchina, Mar 9, 2016
  11. Carsomyr Win User
    To avoid this, you can change your facebook settings so that they don't automatically load every video/gif on the page. For other sites (like video game wikis with lots of ads) I would also suggest turning your adobe flash plugin to "ask to activate". That way it is only loading what you want it to, and doesn't bog down the whole system *Biggrin

Carsomyr, Mar 9, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Can you confirm this specifically prevents 'system and compressed memory' using a lot of CPU time when Chrome is used in the manner described in this thread? Or is this a general comment about reducing the load on a PC?

Put another way, the same issue doesn't seem to be reported with Firefox, for example.

dalchina, Mar 9, 2016
  13. Carsomyr Win User

I can't confirm anything for chrome because I think it's garbage and I don't use it *Biggrin I use Firefox. I can confirm the adobe flash plugin thing though *Tongue

Carsomyr, Mar 9, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, so are you saying you have experienced high CPU use by 'system and compressed memory' with Firefox, or are you simply advising the use of the plugin setting in general? (Which I agree is a valid one, but unclear as to its precise relevance here)

I.e. exactly how is this point about the plugin relevant in your experience to the main issue raised, being high resource use by 'system and compressed memory'?

dalchina, Mar 9, 2016
  15. I would also like to add that before I did my fresh install of windows 10, I never had this problem on windows 7. In win7, I was running chrome with 20+ tabs of facebook and youtube and I never had an issue. Now I can barely even run 1 tab if that tab is facebook. This is NOT a problem with low memory or low cpu power. Reducing memory and cpu consumption does NOT resolve the problem. This must be some kind of underlying problem with windows 10 and the compressed memory process.

[I have even thought of downgrading to windows 7 just so I can run multiple tabs of facebook/youtube since what I mostly do for both work and play, is done through chrome. And for the people suggesting firefox, I don't think the problem occurs in that browser however I will not switch browsers permanently because chrome is linked to all my other devices and phone, I would rather switch to windows 7 if this can't be resolved.]

brands2131, Mar 9, 2016
Thema:

1. High CPU usage - System and Compressed Memory - Similar Threads - High CPU usage

2. High memory and cpu usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    High memory and cpu usage: Never had this happen to me before. My memory and cpu usage is higher than normal, task manager says that my memory usage is 60% on idle. It's usually about 20 or 30, my cpu is 10% on idle and it spikes to 60 sometimes. When I open a game or browser they get significantly...
  3. Fix System and Compressed Memory High CPU, Ram, Disk Usage on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix System and Compressed Memory High CPU, Ram, Disk Usage on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Some people are noticing that the System and Compressed Memory process shows High CPU, Ram, Disk Usage on their Windows 11/10 systems. In this tutorial, we have a few solutions that can help fix the issue. What is System and Compressed Memory process? System and...
  4. High CPU usage by "System"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High CPU usage by "System": Hi. I am experiencing this problem - my cpu is running at high percentage and the biggest contributor to that is a "System" process in the task manager. Goes up to about 40%. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks submitted by /u/Vlatot [link] [comments]...
  5. System and compressed memory high disk usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and compressed memory high disk usage: Hi everyone. I am currently having issues trying to diagnose the system and compressed memory bug that causes slow disk operations. I am running a computer that I have built myself. i5 6600k, 16 GB of RAM, 2 SSD and 1 HDD. The slow operations only happen on the HDD. I can...
  6. System and compressed memory high CPU usage

System and compressed memory high CPU usage: Hi, recently the process called System and compressed memory started acting up, when I'm browsing demanding sites CPU usage spikes to 20%-40% causing my sounds to get crackles and freeze for a split second. It's extremely annoying and was not happening before. It started this...
  7. "System and Compressed Memory" constant 20-25% CPU usage

"System and Compressed Memory" constant 20-25% CPU usage: This is a problem that has been going on for about a week now and I've tried A LOT of solutions. This started when I wanted to play Battlefield 1 beta and it said I needed to update my driver, my computer had 0 issues prior to this after the install system and compressed...
  8. System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage)

System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage): Hello there, I am here today as I have had a problem with System and Compressed Memory since I installed Windows 10 back in December of 2015. Now keep in mind, this isn't a normal issue, as I have yet to actually find anything in regards to what to do to fix this. (I have...
  9. System and Compressed Memory Process Uses High CPU, Low Memory

System and Compressed Memory Process Uses High CPU, Low Memory: Several problems are happening. I don’t know if the extent to which they are related but here they are: Earlier today, I attempted, but failed, to install the latest update for the AMD Catalyst Control Center (CCC). In one place, a message said that it had installed...
  10. System and compressed memory & System interrupts unfixable CPU usage

System and compressed memory & System interrupts unfixable CPU usage: Hi! So my friend has a PC with Windows 10 (installed from USB-Stick with the WindowsMediaCreationTool). It ran fine for about two weeks, which is when the problem started: The "System and compressed memory" and "System interrupts" processes taking up *a lot* of CPU time even...