Windows 10: High Disk Usage during Startup, slows down my pc

Discus and support High Disk Usage during Startup, slows down my pc in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I just installed win 10 last day, and it was going fine, no conflicts on the drivers whatsoever. But after a day, when I booted up, it seems to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by keityrobins, Aug 2, 2015.

1. High Disk Usage during Startup, slows down my pc

Hi, I just installed win 10 last day, and it was going fine, no conflicts on the drivers whatsoever. But after a day, when I booted up, it seems to have slowed down to a point that everything does not respond to my inputs, though it does after a couple of minutes, i check the task manager and it shows that the disk usage is high, the r/w speed show high utilization about 10-40mbps and the active time is 100%, anyone of you experienced this? I have read some thread and suggested to turn off superfetch and prefetch but that didn't do a thing to me. Btw, I installed it over win 8.1 using a bootable usb.

:)

keityrobins, Aug 2, 2015

2. High disk usage on Windows and apps startup

Hi,

When I'm starting up my Windows 10, it's quite fast to get to the login screen as you would expect with my specs. After typing in my password the problems start. It's sometimes painfully slow to get all of my basic programs loaded (sound card software, google
    chrome, antivirus) or even Windows so that I can start using my PC without making it to freeze completely for about a minute.

This happens because my disk usage is 100% during startup and login. It's either System (PID 4) or some else app like Avast! or Google Chrome using some disk to startup. The disk read speeds vary but I usually get 100% disk usage with 0.1-20 MB/s transfer
    rates. (I can get max around 120 MB/s read speed)

Also wanted to mention that sometimes my pc completely freezes for like a minute or so with 0-0.1 MB/s disk read/write speed (or at least Task Manager says so) with again 100% disk usage.

High disk usage can also occur when Windows is loaded, but there's file transfer going on like updating Steam games or just opening Skype. Disk usage gets usually back to around 0% when the app is fully loaded or the game has been updated but this extends
    startup time for almost all apps radically or slows them down.

Could this be a software issue or a hardware? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 @ 3.60 GHz

RAM: 8,0 GB DDR3

GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770 2GB

HDD: 1 TB WDC WD10EZEX21M2NA0

Eetu Häkkinen, Aug 2, 2015
  3. lacrumb Win User
    High CPU and Disk uses and PC slows down.

To help us to help you and to properly get answers to your post you should include some minimum information.

1. Device type. ie PC, Laptop, Tablet, Surface, Phone

2. Who made it and model. If home built what type motherboard

3. OS type, Home, Pro, Enterprise, etc

4. Current build. Go Settings, System. About. OS build XXXXXX.XXXX

lacrumb, Aug 2, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

High Disk Usage during Startup, slows down my pc

Do have an antivirus?

5. I do, I installed avast.

keityrobins, Aug 2, 2015
  6. I think I resolved it, I unchecked the maximum memory on msconfig, that might have caused the ram to be limited

keityrobins, Aug 2, 2015
  7. Tried reinstalling Windows 10, now it runs perfectly.

keityrobins, Sep 4, 2015
  8. High Disk Usage during Startup, slows down my pc

For solution,go to settings, system,notifications, and turning off "show me tips about Windows".I tried and it works.

Gelashvili, Jan 9, 2016
  9. *Devil​ No

seriouslyno, Apr 8, 2017
  10. medievil Win User
    it's avast... one of it's settings (settings/general/smart scan) is scan for compatibility issues - meaning check to make sure programs are compatible... if it is on, you get HDD crunch on boot up as it is checking EVERYTHING running...

medievil, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

High Disk Usage during Startup, slows down my pc

1. High Disk Usage during Startup, slows down my pc - Similar Threads - High Disk Usage

2. Windows High Memory Usage Slowing Down PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows High Memory Usage Slowing Down PC: Recently my Windows PC has slowed down a lot, so much so that I can't run many games that I used to be able to. I tried to diagnose the issue and, although I'm not certain, I think it might be a problem with high memory usage. Right now the only major process I have running...
  3. Windows High Memory Usage Slowing Down PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows High Memory Usage Slowing Down PC: Recently my Windows PC has slowed down a lot, so much so that I can't run many games that I used to be able to. I tried to diagnose the issue and, although I'm not certain, I think it might be a problem with high memory usage. Right now the only major process I have running...
  4. Very high disk usage on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very high disk usage on startup: Hi... I'm using windows 10 home and I'm having a problem of very high disk usage... Idling at 100% until I use other applications and games.I also noticed that 'System' and 'Sysmain' causes the usage and sometimes 'Windows cryptographic service' and some other windows...
  5. high disk usage and pc stuttering

high disk usage and pc stuttering: my laptop's disk usage is high always..and it stutters...system and something called behavioral detection system takes most usage is on top. What can i do also memory usage is high[ATTACH]...
  6. windows 10 and very high disk access usage slowing evrything down

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 and very high disk access usage slowing evrything down: I have a Lenova idea pad 510 purchased 2016 running windows 10 from new. Its got really slow and goes to 100% disk usage while just sitting there. So I thought some software that I put on there has messed it up. Not one for half measures I restored the windows 10 from the...
  7. High Disk usage causing my PC to freeze

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High Disk usage causing my PC to freeze: So recently while playing games my computer jumped up to 100% disk usage and freezes. When this happenes the read and write speeds are very low... I tried disabling superfetch and stuff like that.. CrystalDisk shows no issues. Is there any settings that could be causing this...
  8. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: Hi, Every Mon. AM ( When I turn on the computer) my computer is very slow. When I check the Task Manager>Processes it is "System" which is causing the computer to barely work. The Disk usage is 49-50%. This lasts for 10-15 min. & then doesn't happen until the next week....
  9. 100% Disk Usage, Slowing Down PC. Anything?

100% Disk Usage, Slowing Down PC. Anything?: Often times I get 100% disk usage on my PC. I searched on the internet previously about why I was getting this. I originally thought this was a normal problem. Anytime I get 100% disk usage, my PC starts slowing down and things start running slower. This for some reason...
  10. page file causes high disk usage and making my pc slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    page file causes high disk usage and making my pc slow: my pc is so slow in internet browsing and gaming because of high disk usage. i tried everything disabling show me tips about windows and superfetch, changing virtual memory, scanning for virus. and then i found out page file caused the high disk usage so i disable it,...