Windows 10: High Disk Usage

Discus and support High Disk Usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm struggling with finding things to fix my high disk usage. I've spent many months searching the internet and doing all the listed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AUTiger1, Aug 13, 2017.

1. AUTiger1 Win User

High Disk Usage

Hi all, I'm struggling with finding things to fix my high disk usage. I've spent many months searching the internet and doing all the listed suggestions like disabling SuperFetch, Windows Defender, Updating drivers, ect. and still I'm stuck with a high disk usage. Here's a screen shot I took immediately following a restart and opening up to a new Firefox window.

High Disk Usage [​IMG]

I have noticed Service Host: Local System takes up quite a bit of disk usage and that if I close it and let it open back up all by itself then it immediately makes my disk usage drop into a much more manageable 40-60% usage range. But eventually after a while it maxes out again and I have to close it out again. It's an annoying step just to be able to use my computer.

Also, I have noticed that after working with my mom's computer today, that her disk usage when no programs are running is only like 5%. Makes me wonder why my computer can have no programs running but my disk usage never drops below 30% and sits in the 40-60% range with spikes up over 75%.

I honestly don't know enough about computers to do much more than I already have without causing major issues. BTW, just a couple weeks ago I had to do a Windows reinstall, not a complete reinstall, just the basic reinstall they allow you to do on Windows 10 where you still keep all your personal files. Ever since that a lot of times when I try to open a process like Run or Task Manager I'll get an error message that it can't open and then I do it again and it will open the second time.

Here's a screenshot of my computer information so you can see what I'm working with here.

High Disk Usage [​IMG]

:)

AUTiger1, Aug 13, 2017

2. "Service Host: Local System" taking up every bit of disk space it can get and slowing down my computer. How do I fix this?

100% Disk Usage Windows 10 Service Host, Service Host High CPU Usage, Service Host High Memory Usage, Service Host Local System High Disk Usage, Service Host Local System Network Restricted, Service Host Local System Windows 10, Windows 10 Service Host CPU,
    Wsappx High Disk Usage Windows 10.

See tutorial here:
    svchost.exe service host: local system (network restricted)

dedyprasetiyo724, Aug 13, 2017
  3. Javond Win User
    Windows 10 high disk usage

Interesting. My CPU usage is fine. It's the disk that's high.

Javond, Aug 13, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

High Disk Usage

Tony K, Aug 13, 2017
  5. AUTiger1 Win User
    Yes, I did the windows refresh where I kept my files but reinstalled the windows files and I'm having this issue. I will look into the fresh start thing which I did not know about.

I don't have a virus, at least I don't think so. I ran scans with MalwareBytes and iobit's Malware defenders.

Thanks for the response.

AUTiger1, Aug 13, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. You may also consider a clean install. A PITA I know, but sometimes that's what it takes.

Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

BTW, in case you didn't know; There will be many instances of Service Host that run.

Service Host (Windows)

Tony K, Aug 13, 2017
  7. AUTiger1 Win User
    Yes, I learned all about the service host processes in my research. I just haven't been able to find a fix about why this particular one and the processes it contains causes my computer to bog down.

AUTiger1, Aug 13, 2017
  8. AUTiger1 Win User

High Disk Usage

AUTiger1, Aug 14, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    Ok. Thanks back at'cha.

Tony K, Aug 14, 2017
  10. AUTiger1 Win User
    Thanks for all your help. I did the fresh start and then did the windows 10 ceators update, and while it took a really, really, really long time to get both of those things done, I'm finally done. After going through and disabling the things like Windows Update, Search and Superfetch my disk now sits at 0% when I'm not doing anything.

AUTiger1, Aug 20, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    Thanks for posting your results! I bet it was a long process (no pun intended). Glad it all worked our for you. *Smile

Keep an eye on any software you install that may cause this problem. I would recommend turning on System Protection and create restore points before those installs.

Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

High Disk Usage

1. High Disk Usage - Similar Threads - High Disk Usage

2. high disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high disk usage: I am facing high disk usage problems after upgrading to windows 11. PC health check said that my hardware is compatible and my hard drive has around 200 GB free space left on C drive....
  3. High Disk Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High Disk Usage: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3576 with the following build Intel core i3 7th Gen1TB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 HDD12 GB RAMI had two other issues regarding long startup time and high disk usage by SYSTEM process. They were solved with help from the Microsoft Community...
  4. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: My disk usage is 100% during startup making it unusable which settles down after like 5 mins. After it settles down and i open an application disk usage again skyrockets to 100% which settles down ultimately. I have tried every method online without any luck....
  5. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: The Disk usage is almost always 100%. I am unable to do work. Please help. I have windows 10 on Dell inspiron 5559. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-disk-usage/9f934320-7fb2-4015-b1ff-d75bb14a50cb
  6. High Disk Usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High Disk Usage.: Today I installed the new windows 10 update for my Laptop which I wanted to do for a while, but when I opened Task Manager and go to Procceses, the disk usage is at 100% and the system is on top with 2-11 MB/s, how can I fix this problem? I have I5 8250u, AMD Radeon 530...
  7. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: hi, i am using windows 10 home, version 2004. i am having high disk usage problem for about a week. even when not using, it is 100%. But,in Task manager, under DISK column, there running "svchost", Tiworker, system. how can these 3 items cause 100% usage? btw, i ran chkdsk,...
  8. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: Hi, Every Mon. AM ( When I turn on the computer) my computer is very slow. When I check the Task Manager>Processes it is "System" which is causing the computer to barely work. The Disk usage is 49-50%. This lasts for 10-15 min. & then doesn't happen until the next week....
  9. high disk usage

high disk usage: I have a Toshiba laptop with windows 10. I have constantly 100% disc usage and frequently the laptop freezesup. Any suggetion would be great. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-disk-usage/b21692aa-d217-4d1f-9d4a-200b70ae8481
  10. High Disk Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High Disk Usage: I am trying to figure out the cause of my extremely high disk usage. No matter what I do, the usage is anywhere from 80%-100%. I've stopped and disabled the Windows Search, along with Superfetch. [img] I've also tried disabling "Show me tips about Windows" and it...