Windows 10: High ram usage with nothing running

Discus and support High ram usage with nothing running in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I built a new pc a week ago and today it started lagging like crazy and i noticed insane ram usage at first it was 99% with nothing showing too big of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Relax, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Relax Win User

High ram usage with nothing running

I built a new pc a week ago and today it started lagging like crazy and i noticed insane ram usage at first it was 99% with nothing showing too big of a usage: here's the screenshot and then i restarted pc and i found a solution online that disabling ndu.sys in registry fixes problesm and also that downloading newest killer drivers shud fix it aswell, and i did both and it was good for like 1 hour and then this happend again but this time it showed a weird process that was using over 4gbs of memory here's the screenshot. I just killed the process and the ram was back to around 20% (I guess that's normal?) but idk how to fix it from happening in first place?

EDIT: I just found out that the second occurrence may have been caused by some compression tool of the game I was installing, but I am not sure

:)

Relax, Oct 16, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

RAM is getting full in idle (clears when i open disk management)

In the first image you provided, RAM usage is 3.8GB for 7.9GB of which Firefox alone is using 0.5GB

In the second image Disk = 4% RAM = 30%

Neither image shows 100% RAM usage or 100% disk usage,

In fact everything looks quite normal, yes your RAM usage is a bit high, but you seem to have a lof of software running in the background - try reducing this on the Startup Tab of Task Manager

DaveM121, Oct 16, 2016
  3. John Ado Win User
    High RAM usage without programs running.

Got it. The article lists all the the possible thing you can do to improve the performance of your device.
    Let's perform a clean boot to eliminate any software conflicts that might have caused the issue. Follow the steps in
    this article.

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to start your computer normally by referring to How
    to
    reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting section
    of the article.

John Ado, Oct 16, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Looks like a special compression engine for LZ77. It touts the ability to "support dictionaries larger than RAM available." Sounds like it could easily bring a system to its knees. "Don't run that program any more!" is my advice. If it's part of a game, you have to decide if playing it is worth the overhead it apparently imposes on your system.
    Welcome to the Windows game!
    *Eek
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 19, 2016
  5. Relax Win User
    Yeah I know, but what about the first case where the compression engine wasn't even running, it was days before I installed the game?

Relax, Oct 19, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    I'd have to look at a memory usage breakdown from that specific scenario (or another one like it, if you can get the system to do it again). Another "Joy of Windows" is that so many different things can make it FUBAR, especially when it comes to runaway memory consumption.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. High ram usage with nothing running - Similar Threads - High ram usage

2. Windows 11 Super high ram usage with nothing running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Super high ram usage with nothing running: is there a fix to windows hogging up so much ram will all startup apps closed and just windows processes running windows uses around 10 GB of my 16GB of ram. If I even attempt to play a game after 5 minutes ram hits 100% used and windows force closes my game is there any fix...
  3. Windows 11 Super high ram usage with nothing running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Super high ram usage with nothing running: is there a fix to windows hogging up so much ram will all startup apps closed and just windows processes running windows uses around 10 GB of my 16GB of ram. If I even attempt to play a game after 5 minutes ram hits 100% used and windows force closes my game is there any fix...
  4. High RAM usage by nothing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High RAM usage by nothing.: So I noticed abnormally high RAM usage a while ago. I had turned off the antivirus, so I turned it back on and had it scan, which found nothing. I looked online and tried everything I found. Nothing worked. I completely wiped and reset the computer, no personal files saved....
  5. High RAM usage by nothing.

High RAM usage by nothing.: So I noticed abnormally high RAM usage a while ago. I had turned off the antivirus, so I turned it back on and had it scan, which found nothing. I looked online and tried everything I found. Nothing worked. I completely wiped and reset the computer, no personal files saved....
  6. Why is my RAM usage so high when nothing is running?

in Windows 10 News
    Why is my RAM usage so high when nothing is running?: [ATTACH]If you are not running any apps while your Task Manager continuously shows that you use more than 70% of your RAM, then your PC has a high Memory/RAM usage issue. Ideally, it is normal to observe 30-40% RAM usage on your PC when nothing is running as this amount of...
  7. High RAM usage, nothing open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High RAM usage, nothing open.: This has been a problem since I first had the computer, Task Manager reports 25%ish memory usage even when I close almost all background apps. It's becoming a problem because I need to use more RAM but 1/4 of it is just being lost to who knows what. I'm on Windows 10 Pro, and...
  8. High RAM usage, nothing open.

High RAM usage, nothing open.: This has been a problem since I first had the computer, Task Manager reports 25%ish memory usage even when I close almost all background apps. It's becoming a problem because I need to use more RAM but 1/4 of it is just being lost to who knows what. I'm on Windows 10 Pro, and...
  9. High RAM usage, nothing open.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. High ram usage nothing is working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High ram usage nothing is working: Hello, I have a problem with my laptop. It is msi ge72vr 7rv apache pro. I have i7-7700hq, gtx 1060 3gb and 8 gigs of ram. I have few problems with it that might be connected. The ram usage is at 60% with no programs running after sturtup. I have already checked some...