Windows 10: Hitachi HDS72101 external drive not recognized

Discus and support Hitachi HDS72101 external drive not recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got two Hitachi HDS72101 1TB external drives that my new Dell XPS 8900 running Windows 10 won't recognize. The device manager shows the drives to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JohnSF, Mar 25, 2016.

1. JohnSF Win User

Hitachi HDS72101 external drive not recognized

I've got two Hitachi HDS72101 1TB external drives that my new Dell XPS 8900 running Windows 10 won't recognize. The device manager shows the drives to be working properly and having current drivers.

My computer recognizes my new Seagate 5TB drive and my old Lacie drives (older than the Hitachis). I am able to see the Hitachi drives when I plug them back into my old Vista machine, an XPS 420, and thankfully I was able to copy files from the Hitachi to the Seagate. However, I still want to use the Hitachi drives as back-ups.

Is this a Windows 10 problem or a Hitachi problem, and is there anything I can do to work around it either way and get these drives working on my new machine? (I was unable to figure out how to contact Hitachi support.)

:)

JohnSF, Mar 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 made external Hitachi HDS72101 HDD unusable, unrecognized

My system (Performance PC custom desktop) came with Win7 working great. An external 1Tb Hitachi HDS72101 HDD is what I used as my major backup drive. Installed Windows 10 (winver 10.0, build 10240). Hitachi external HDD no longer recognized. Power off/on
    HDD and it then was recognized, but ran impossibly slow, and was mislabeled as a SCSI drive. Tried rigmarole suggested on this Community page and elsewhere, didn't work. Used Chat Help, couldn't solve problem. She installed version 1511, she said it's the
    latest. No improvement. I then updated Gigabyte motherboard drivers to Win10 versions. No improvement. I tried re-installing the original Win7 drivers for the Gigabyte motherboard (based on an online suggestion). This corrupted my system drive C: (a SanDisk
    SSD) and the PC no longer would boot and could not re-install Win7 with my original install DVD! Drive was un-writable. I had to re-partition C: (using gparted) and then I could re-install Win7. Then I spend a day re-installing all my apps and the latest
    drivers of everything. I had heard from a couple computer-savvy electrical engineers that Win10 was great, but I'm going to wait for a more de-bugged version, like maybe in 2017.

MartyMcVeigh, Mar 25, 2016
  3. AzGenes Win User
    Win 10 and external solid state drive incompatable

Since upgrade to Win-10 I can no longer backup files to external Hitachi and Western Dig. External drives. On two HP and Acer 64bit machines.

deleted the old external usb drivers, rebooted, still won't recognize. Tried the win-10 backup software, but it doesn't recognize the drives are there.

open to suggestion. Only assist I could see by Microsoft is info on Win7/8

AzGenes, Mar 25, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi JohnSF and welcome to Tenforums.

There could be a number of things going on with the Hitachi drives (although it's odd that this would happen to both, at the same time). Some things to try:
    1. a different/better USB cable
    2. check the USB ports for looseness/movement
    3. Look in Device Manager Disk Management and see if they have drive letters assigned; if not, try assigning
    4. it's possible the internal PCBs are going bad; removing the drives and replacing them in new cases may solve the problem (using a SATA2USB adapter would prove this true/false)

Contact Us : Hitachi America, Ltd.

Glad you were able to get your data backed up! *Smile

simrick, Mar 27, 2016
  5. JohnSF Win User
    I appreciate the Hitachi consumer contact info and have emailed them for info. The drives and cables are mechanically fine and still work when I plug them back into my old Vista computer. I was unable to figure out how to assign a letter to the drives, but I'll look into it further this evening.

JohnSF, Mar 27, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Change, add, or remove a drive letter - Windows Help

I read that someone actually switched to a more robust cable, when having the same problem as you, and that resolved the issue, so thought I would mention it.

Hope Hitachi customer service can help you! *Smile

simrick, Mar 27, 2016
  7. JohnSF Win User
    No help from Hitachi. My computer says the disks aren't initialized, but I know that to be false since they each have around 700GB of data on them, and the data shows up when I plug them into my old Vista computer.

JohnSF, Mar 29, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

*Sad

Well, since you've got your data off them now, why not go ahead and initialize them, to use with the W10 computer then? I would also check their health, just to be safe before depending on them.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

simrick, Mar 29, 2016
  9. JohnSF Win User
    It's sobering to find that a new operating system can essentially render your external hard drives useless.

JohnSF, Mar 29, 2016
  10. badrobot Win User
    Where did you get those 2 Hitachis from? Sounds to me that the 2 drives are in RAID configuration. You may need to disable RAID first before you can use them as regular drives.

badrobot, Mar 29, 2016
  11. JohnSF Win User
    I never set them up in a RAID config. I did my back-ups manually. Both drives still work fine on my old Vista computer.

JohnSF, Mar 29, 2016
  12. badrobot Win User
    I was just wondering if you salvaged those drives from an old XPS pc and used them as spare drives. You seem to have a lot of XPS machines and from my experience, most XPS desktops are on RAID 0 (at least before SSDs went mainstream).
    I recently encountered an issue with 2 salvaged 1TB drives from Dell XPS machine having problems with the computer I am working on only to realize later on that it was set to RAID 0.

badrobot, Mar 29, 2016
  13. JohnSF Win User

I see. No, I bought the Hitachi drives new on Amazon some years ago. Interestingly, I can no longer find those drives. They seem to go under the brand name of Touro now. This is the closest thing I can find to what I have: http://www.touropro.com/en/product/t...pro/index.html. My drive boxes look exactly like this but say Hitachi instead of Touro, and they are also USB 3.0. Maybe they do have some built-in RAID architecture I never used or knew about. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to change that, or even if it could be changed.

JohnSF, Mar 30, 2016
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Could it be these were set up as dynamic disks on the Vista machine ?

Either way, W10 can't read the data off the drives because it's missing something on the ID header.

No biggie, as suggested before, copy or move the data to other media then reinitialize them on the W10 machine and so forth.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hitachi HDS72101 external drive not recognized - Similar Threads - Hitachi HDS72101 external

2. External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive not recognized: I have an external drive that is not being recognized. I have unplugged it and and plugged it back in and still not being recognized. I see it listed in device manager and it says it is working properly. In disk management it says Disk 1 Unknown not initialized. I have...
  3. External Hard drive Not recognized

External Hard drive Not recognized: The device I am trying to install is an external hard drive I purchased from thee MAC store Backup Plus Portable Drive. I have tried all three methods stated above and non of them worked for me. In particular in regards to method 3 I have downloaded and installed the...
  4. EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED: After my laptop updated to Windows 10 version 1909, it no longer recognized my 1tb Toshiba Canvio external drive. I need help resolving this issue, because all of my school work and other important things are on the drive....
  5. External drive beeping not recognized

External drive beeping not recognized: I have a backup Toshiba 3 tb external drive just beeps and not recognized by w10 dell * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-beeping-not-recognized/97e718b8-83ae-4dbb-be0a-4e9c714db2ed
  6. Hitachi External Storage Device

Hitachi External Storage Device: Cannot get my Hatachi External Storage device to be recognized, using plug and play. Is there a driver that I need to download? If so, where can I find it?...
  7. w10 not recognizing external drive

w10 not recognizing external drive: w10 not recognizing external drive what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-not-recognizing-external-drive/cc0b7afb-b17a-4a90-ae61-0c57e8a8cb35
  8. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive not recognized: I had storage spaces From windows 8.1 that computer went down I moved Storage spaces to another computer. windows 10 machine. Everything works. I was able to Copy those files to another drives. now I want to reuse those drives but only let me rename it not to remove. I...
  9. External Drives not recognized

External Drives not recognized: My external hard drive and USB storage device both not working properly(Windows 10 Ver. 10.0.1734 if that helps any). Have tried restarting, updating drivers etc.. Devices show in Disk Management and Devices and Printers but can't open or save anything to either of them....
  10. external hard drive not recognized

external hard drive not recognized: I have two Western Digital 300GB, USB3, external drives. Suddenly both are not recognized by Windows. 1) Neither appear as a drive in File Explorer 2) Device Manager reports that the "device is working properly", and the drivers are up to date. There is a message in...