Windows 10: HKCU and HKU registry records

Discus and support HKCU and HKU registry records in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a bonehead question about the registry. Is the HKCU hive (if that's the right term) dynamically built from HKU\S-1-5-21-... records every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, Jan 21, 2017.

1. HKCU and HKU registry records

This is a bonehead question about the registry.
    Is the HKCU hive (if that's the right term) dynamically built from HKU\S-1-5-21-... records every time a user logged on?

I want to make some changes to the registry records of product - copying hundreds of configuration records from an old release set to a new release set. I'm very aware that this may be a big blunder. The records are in both HKCU and my HKU. If I change the HKCU registry records and am blown out of the water, will logging off and back on get me back to the unchanged HKU copy, or does Windows keep the two sets in sync?

I could (and probably will) export all the records I intend to change, but I could also just uninstall and reinstall the program if it fails to run. But I'm more worried about changing something I did not intend to change - something else in the HKCU hive.

I will take a complete backup of my system before doing any of this and plan on doing a system restore if I really hose things over, but I would rather have a quicker and more simple recovery.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jan 21, 2017

2. Explorer.exe right click context menu missing links

No, it'll have it's own HKU\SID or HKCU nodes. If user accounts didn't have account-specific registry settings then what would be the use of having separate ones in the first place?

RobertJWin, Jan 21, 2017
  3. How to show local (not OneDrive) folders in Explorer after Anniversary Update

1. Both keys are one and the same thing. HKCU is the mirror or HKU\<SID> (or the other way) ... So, deleting the values from HKCU\..\User Shell Folders would delete it from "HKU\<SID>\....\User Shell Folders"

HKCU is HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKU is HKEY_USERS

2. The GUID {F42EE2D3-909F-4907-8871-4C22FC0BF756} can be cleared. Documents value name is "Personal", pointing to "%USERPROFILE%\Documents"
    - (As Saltgrass posted).

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 21, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

HKCU and HKU registry records

I'm not great on the Registry but it is made up of 5 Hives or basically text files that Windows uses to know how to run itself and programs. I'd think those Hives are created when installing Windows and subsequently installing programs and messing with one may be as dire as preventing Windows from running properly if at all. I see those 2 Hives you mentioned are different, some things in one are in subkeys on the other.

HKCU and HKU registry records [​IMG]

This is a simplified view of the files when I once backed up the Registry several years ago on a different computer, haven't checked if Win10 has the same [now use a shortcut to create a new Restore Point when I need].

HKCU and HKU registry records [​IMG]

Berton, Jan 22, 2017
  5. But obviously "current user" can change from moment to moment if multiple users are signed in on the same computer.

All of the records I'm (hopefully) going to change are in HKCU\SOFTWARE\... and HKU\S-1-5-21-...\SOFTWARE\. (My SID. I don't know if there is a security issue by displaying it, but I decided not to.) At the moment, the records I'm concerned with are apparently the same in the two hives. (There are 622 of them. I'm not about to check all of 'em.)

So are you saying that HKCU is not a current user's copy of his/her HKU records? If that is the case, I guess I would have to change both sets and use either Regedit or a system restore to back out the changes if I mess something up.

pokeefe0001, Jan 22, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    You can just export the key and then import into the other you dont have to do one at a time. Messing with reg is a suicide mission

Samuria, Jan 22, 2017
  7. I'm not sure how to map what you've just said into what I'm asking about. I wasn't ever thinking of doing one at a time - not with 622 records.

First though, I should say that this is mostly a "How does the registry work?" kind of question. I may not follow though on any of this, but I still have the questions.

And I may have just found something on the web that answers my question:The HKEY_CURRENT_USER key is a link to the subkey of HKEY_USERS that corresponds to the user; the same information is accessible in both locations.My assumption that there are two sets of records may be wrong. There may just be twos sets of keys for one set of records. That makes sense and clarifies my recovery plans.

Yup. That's why backups are a good idea. Luckily, I' going to be messing with only software registry records for one product. Unless I totally mess up the whole registry I should just be damaging one program.

pokeefe0001, Jan 22, 2017
  8. LMiller7 Win User

HKEY_CURRENT_USER is just a link to the key in HKEY_USERS for the current user. If you are working with your own profile you would use HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

LMiller7, Jan 22, 2017
  9. Oh, I knew that I should be working with HKCU. I was just hoping that HKU had a separate copy and that maybe I would get it back just by logging off and back on. Having both sets of keys pointing to same data makes much more sense, but it means I'm more likely to do damage. Oh well.

pokeefe0001, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HKCU and HKU registry records - Similar Threads - HKCU HKU registry

2. How to switch between HKLM and HKCU quickly in Registry Editor

in Windows 10 News
    How to switch between HKLM and HKCU quickly in Registry Editor: [ATTACH]If you want to switch between the HKLM and HKCU keys quickly in the Registry Editor quickly, here is a small tip to help you. At times, you might need to find the same HKLM keys in the HKCU or vice versa. In such situations, you can follow this guide to switch between...
  3. HKCU "TOKEN_CONSUMED" 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HKCU "TOKEN_CONSUMED" 1: found a registry value called TOKEN_CONSUMED in HKCUComputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USERand its data is 1should i delete it or change it to 0this is the first time ive ever seen TOKEN_CONSUMED anywherei found out about it seeing how my network driver was corrupted and i happened to...
  4. HKCU "TOKEN_CONSUMED" 1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HKCU "TOKEN_CONSUMED" 1: found a registry value called TOKEN_CONSUMED in HKCUComputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USERand its data is 1should i delete it or change it to 0this is the first time ive ever seen TOKEN_CONSUMED anywherei found out about it seeing how my network driver was corrupted and i happened to...
  5. Malware named HKU?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malware named HKU?: An IT professional thinks I have been hacked with a Malware named HKU. Sometimes called UNKNOWN APP, OR UNNAMED FILE. It is constantly replacing my administrative Windows ID with alternative false names. Windows, Defender, a host of firewalll programs totally miss the obvious...
  6. HKU\S-1-15.

HKU\S-1-15.: Alright so, I got a virus from downloading a dodgy game. realised i had a virus and formatted my pc. I wiped everything, poth my ssd and hard drive. Exactly 7 days after i format my pc these same problems come back, windows defender cant find anything though. However. While...
  7. Invalid root in registry key "HKCU\software\wtjtpfxoogfjh" .

Invalid root in registry key "HKCU\software\wtjtpfxoogfjh" .: What is this? Invalid root in registry key "HKCU\software\wtjtpfxoogfjh" . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/invalid-root-in-registry-key/6bc5c0c3-334b-46bd-aa97-96285f0fce79"
  8. Registry Change For All Users - HKCU vs HKLM

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry Change For All Users - HKCU vs HKLM: I have a very simple utility I found that has a few settings. If you make changes those settings are stored in HKCU\Software and then the product name\Settings. I want to install the utility so that anyone on the machine that logs on has those same settings, so I installed...
  9. Purpose and use of "HKCU\Console\WordDelimiters" (and related keys in the registry)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Purpose and use of "HKCU\Console\WordDelimiters" (and related keys in the registry): For lengthy, unfortunate, irrelevant reasons, I work with a large number of files whose filenames use underscores as word delimiters; and, the default behavior of the underscore in the English language packs (all variants, it seems) is to treat an underscore as a sort of...
  10. Switch Between HKCU and HKLM Keys in Registry Editor in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Switch Between HKCU and HKLM Keys in Registry Editor in Windows 10: How to: Switch Between HKCU and HKLM Keys in Registry Editor in Windows 10 How to Switch Between HKCU and HKLM Keys in Registry Editor in Windows 10 System configuration information is stored centrally in a hierarchical database called the registry. You can use Registry...