Windows 10: Home folder shared only 1-way between identically configured machines

Discus and support Home folder shared only 1-way between identically configured machines in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two machines running Windows 10 – ermintrude and dougal – and I want my home folder on each to be shared with the other on my home network.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ricecrispies, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Home folder shared only 1-way between identically configured machines

I have two machines running Windows 10 – ermintrude and dougal – and I want my home folder on each to be shared with the other on my home network. dougal can see my home folder on ermintrude, but not the other way round. I have been through all the advanced sharing settings on each machine and compared them, and I have done the same for the sharing settings for each home folder, but I cannot find any difference between them. They are identical. Each is set to share as owner using the same Hotmail address as login and the same password. As I said, I cannot find anything different between the two configurations. Why is my home folder on dougal invisible to me on ermintrude?

:)

ricecrispies, Feb 7, 2016

2. Can only share folders one-way between two computers, even though the sharing settings are identical on each

I have two computers running Windows 10, named Dougal and Ermintrude. I log into each using the same Microsoft login credentials. I want to share my home folder on each machine with the other one. I have identical advanced sharing settings on each machine,
    yet I cannot see my home folder on Dougal when working from Ermintrude, even though I can see my shared home folders on both Dougal and Ermintrude when working from Dougal. How do I make my home folder on Dougal available as a share on Ermintrude?

swamp#thing, Feb 7, 2016
  3. Difficulty connecting two machines on one LAN

I have two machines each with the latest Windows 10 pro installed and fully updated. Each machine has a single user name with the same single password. Sharing options, etc. are identical between the two machines. With machine one I can access the shared
    folders on machine two by entering the sharing username and password. This lets me access the shared folders on machine two. However if I start by going to machine two and doing this to access machine one it says that the password is wrong. If I then try to
    access machine one using the username "user" (there is no such user on machine one or on machine two) and enter the password for the single username then that is accepted and I can access the shared folders on machine one from machine two. The consequence
    of this is that I cannot automatically copy shared folders from one machine to another by waking up machine two and performing the copy.

What an earth is happening?

cdm_at_ast, Feb 7, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Home folder shared only 1-way between identically configured machines

It depends which of the PCs was turned on first. The first one to boot up will be able to see the other but not the other way around. It is a bug in W10 at the moment.

philc43, Feb 21, 2016
  5. Thanks for the info. But is there a reason why the bug only appears some of the time? For instance right now both my machines can see each other.

ricecrispies, Feb 22, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    I don't know why the behaviour varies. There are some other threads on here which talk about it and may have more information.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Home folder shared only 1-way between identically configured machines

1. Home folder shared only 1-way between identically configured machines - Similar Threads - Home folder shared

2. What is the best way to share drives/folders between 5 at-home computers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best way to share drives/folders between 5 at-home computers?: I really struggle with MS Sharing. I have upgraded some machines to 11, and want to know the best method for sharing. These are the computers and roles:ALPHA: NAS and Media server. Has 2 shared drives that contain media files. Want this to be easily access for other computers...
  3. What is the best way to share drives/folders between 5 at-home computers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the best way to share drives/folders between 5 at-home computers?: I really struggle with MS Sharing. I have upgraded some machines to 11, and want to know the best method for sharing. These are the computers and roles:ALPHA: NAS and Media server. Has 2 shared drives that contain media files. Want this to be easily access for other computers...
  4. What is the best way to share drives/folders between 5 at-home computers?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Shared files and folders only works one way

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared files and folders only works one way: I used to be able to access shared folders and files between two computers connected to the same network. This gave me the ability to perform Macrium Reflect backups to external storage on my laptop, from my Windows tablet. Now, when I try to access remote storage from the...
  6. Shared files and folders only works one way

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shared files and folders only works one way: I used to be able to access shared folders and files between two computers connected to the same network. This gave me the ability to perform Macrium Reflect backups to external storage on my laptop, from my Windows tablet. Now, when I try to access remote storage from the...
  7. Quick and easy way to configure several machines identically?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick and easy way to configure several machines identically?: Hi All, I know that there are tools to deploy pre-configured Windows installations in large networks, so that every new machine comes with the same features and settings. We would like to use something similar (at tiny scale) but with machines which have Win10 Home...
  8. swap HDD between two identical machines

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    swap HDD between two identical machines: Are there any concerns swapping two SSD's running Win10 between two identical HP 840 laptops? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-hdd-between-two-identical-machines/6148ce6e-409c-4261-b9c3-e8ed694638de
  9. Sharing folders on home network between machine using enterprise Azure ID and another...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing folders on home network between machine using enterprise Azure ID and another...: I have two laptops running Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit. My personal machine runs the pro version and uses an offline account (Bob). My work machine runs the enterprise version and uses an Azure account linked to my company e-mail (AzureAD\Bob). Both are connected to my wireless...
  10. Is there a way to sync configurations between computers?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to sync configurations between computers?: Hello, Ihave a laptop and desktop machines running windows 10 I regularly use. As I work I tend to configure more and more stuff (keyboard shortcuts, word autocomplete, default signatures, etc.). Is there a way to sync these settings through the computers? I should...