Windows 10: Home internet connection disappears while neighbors internet showing

Discus and support Home internet connection disappears while neighbors internet showing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have had the internet set up on my computer for a long time but today the ability to see my connection disappeared. I am still able to see the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rodius, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Rodius Win User

Home internet connection disappears while neighbors internet showing

I have had the internet set up on my computer for a long time but today the ability to see my connection disappeared.
    I am still able to see the neighbours connections, other computers and devices within my house can still see the home connection and can connect to the internet. But my computer has stopped seeing the home connection.

The only thing I did out of the ordinary is clear browser history from Chrome before this happened. I dont think it relates but thought I would mention it just in case it matters.

I also have a hot spot which the computer still sees and can use (this is how I am online at the moment).

Any ideas on what has happened?

:)

Rodius, Jan 26, 2017
  2. layback76 Win User

NO wifi option under Network & Internet

This same thing just happened to me after I installed a new Amazon FireTV. That went well but then I noticed that my Echo Dot had lost internet access. I looked into the Settings and tried to find the Dot, following the directions in the Alexa app.
    I couldn't find it listed, but my network and all of my neighbor's networks were listed. Wi-Fi was listed on the left side, with the other options, as it always has been. The problem is that I can't really remember what I did next. I feel as if I clicked
    on the wrong thing, possibly inadvertently, and Wi-Fi suddenly disappeared from the list of options on the left side of Network and Internet settings page. My internet connection shows as a LAN connection, and none of the Wi-Fi networks are showing, mine
    or my neighbors. I wish I could remember what I did because it seemed to directly lead to the Great Wi-Fi Disappearance.

layback76, Jan 26, 2017
  3. lbwp Win User
    WIFI connectivity Problem with Nokia 603

sorry for keeping you await

i connect my phone to two neighbors wifi's and it actually the same result it shows that the phone connected but no internet access :|

4. PJLLB Win User

Have you rebooted the router access point your "can't see?"

PJLLB, Jan 26, 2017
  5. Rodius Win User
    The router is working perfectly as other computers and devices are able to be online.
    It is my computer that is failing to gain access through my home connection.

If the router is able to stop access to one computer only, then I will do that.
    If there is something on my computers side that can be done to reset the router I will do that but not sure on how to do that.

Rodius, Jan 26, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Its possible the next door is stronger for you than yours and blocking it can you se it if you get close to the router? if you open a cmd prompt and type
    netsh wlan show networks

can you see it

Samuria, Jan 26, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    ...especially if they are on the same channel as you. Nirsoft's free WirelessNetView can tell you the strength and channels of all the signals around you, allowing you to choose a channel with the least interference from your neigbours.
    WirelessNetView - Wireless Network Monitoring Software

8. Rodius Win User

Thanks for the help, I just got back onto my computer to find it has self resolved.
    So I still dont know what happened but should it happen again I will work through the solutions given. I wont know what happened or the solution until there is a repeat.

Rodius, Jan 26, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Your neighbour may have been changing their channel to find one with less interference, or a new router may have been installed near you and was in the process of finding a free channel to use. The WirelessNetView utility I linked to earlier could tell you what's going on around you, should it happen again.

This How-To Geek article makes interesting reading on the problems of choosing a WiFi channel.
    How to Find The Best Wi-Fi Channel For Your Router on Any Operating System

10. bro67 Win User
    Open a Command Window and type in netsh wlan show all That will show you your adapter and also all wireless networks around. Most likely the neighbor's is on the same channel and their signal is killing your's.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Home internet connection disappears while neighbors internet showing - Similar Threads - Home internet connection

2. The Internet disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Internet disappeared: I was playing a browser game on my acer Swift 3 laptop yesterday and then I turned it off came back to it like 5 mins later and suddenly the Wi-Fi stopped working disappeared from the taskbar and in the network and internet section of settings it says I’m not connected to any...
  3. The Internet disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Internet disappeared: I was playing a browser game on my acer Swift 3 laptop yesterday and then I turned it off came back to it like 5 mins later and suddenly the Wi-Fi stopped working disappeared from the taskbar and in the network and internet section of settings it says I’m not connected to any...
  4. The option to connect to the internet disappears.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The option to connect to the internet disappears.: I have ASUS TUF A15 running Windows 11 Home.The Wi-Fi randomly disappears the option to connect to it. It is gone from the settings and it is like the laptop doesnt have the option to connect to the wifi.But if I restart the laptop it comes back...
  5. The option to connect to the internet disappears.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The option to connect to the internet disappears.: I have ASUS TUF A15 running Windows 11 Home.The Wi-Fi randomly disappears the option to connect to it. It is gone from the settings and it is like the laptop doesnt have the option to connect to the wifi.But if I restart the laptop it comes back...
  6. No internet connection while connected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No internet connection while connected: Hello,Since yesterday I have issues while connecting to the internet. On both ethernet and Wi-Fi. When booting up the computer after a week the internet connection shows up but cant connect to the internet.All the other devices are working, even other windows computers....
  7. Internet is connected but shows not connected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet is connected but shows not connected: I have this problem where even though I'm connected to my modem via eternet cord or wifi when i connect for a second it says I'm connected but then it starts showing that I'm not connected. I don't understand why it keeps doing this I've reset my pc and also the network...
  8. I have internet but it shows "Connected,No Internet"

I have internet but it shows "Connected,No Internet": Today in my laptop, windows asked me to setup something, so i clicked 'let's go' button, it said me to connect to the internet first, it said that my ethernet doesn't have internet, so i switched to wifi, same problem. I connected the wifi to my phone and it works fine. i...
  9. Internet Connections Not Showing

Internet Connections Not Showing: I started my computer and had the intel net update. I got through to the install, but it wasn’t installing, so I cancelled the install, and my internet wouldn’t connect. I was wondering if anyone knew a fix to this....
  10. Internet connection drops?? . . .but shows connected?

Internet connection drops?? . . .but shows connected?: Periodically my laptop will not connect to Edge, Outlook, Extensions etc. However, in the Notification Area it shows connected. The affected laptop computer is connected wirelessly, both Ethernet 4 and Wi-Fi. Signal strengths look strong. I can get reconnected by simply...