Windows 10: Home network doesnt work after windows update and replacing router

Discus and support Home network doesnt work after windows update and replacing router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop, laptop and wireless printer for personal use. In the past the laptop and desktop saw each other and I was able to transfer files. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by huginn, Jan 3, 2018.

1. huginn Win User

Home network doesnt work after windows update and replacing router

I have a desktop, laptop and wireless printer for personal use. In the past the laptop and desktop saw each other and I was able to transfer files. I didn't use home groups I just entered the computer name and password
    After a windows update and replacing a router my computers couldn't see the printer and I went through installation process to use the printer.
    When I open up file explorer on the desktop it sees the laptop but when I try to access the laptop the i get the enter network Credentials dialogue popup and I enter the name and password I get incorrect name or password
    When I open up file explorer on the laptop it doesnt see the desktop

I am at a lost I was able to set up the network before
    I have a netgear router r6080 and use windows defender atm. The router I was using died

:)

huginn, Jan 3, 2018

2. 950XL Wifi / Router Problem

J bought a new router. Everthing is working fine.☺

MatsPontén, Jan 3, 2018
  3. 950XL Wifi / Router Problem

As an update. I hard reset the phone, once again and it didn't happen after that. I did eventually replace the home router with another (Cisco) brand router but it had been stable for about 6 days with the original router after the hard reset of the phone.
    It hasn't occurred with any wireless network since.

Hope that helps others.

edgrassie720, Jan 3, 2018
  4. Home network doesnt work after windows update and replacing router

PolarNettles, Jan 4, 2018
  5. Kbird Win User
    Might be the SMBv1 Uninstalled by Update 1709 issue?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

It certainly isn't a "friendly" write up that is for sure .....written for IT Pros I think but I found I only needed the SMB1.0 Client re-enabled for things to be fine again after playing with different settings.

T.D.L :
    FCU disables and removes SMBv1 after 15days if it hasn't been used, (eg turning on my old Synology NAS i found I couldn't connect to do a backup), But you can turn it back on in:

Control Panel>Programs and Features>Turn Windows Features on and Off>SMB 1.0/CIFS and checking just the SMB1.0 Client box worked for me.

Once you do this Win10 will no longer disable it automatically as it assumes you need it, if you it turned back on.

AFAIK this issue with SMBv1 was mainly related to WinXP and is not an issue on Win10 , so personally I was not worried about turning it back on.

Or if you need pics ? .....do the reverse of this article
    How to Disable SMBv1 and Protect Your Windows PC From Attack

For Others to try 1st Per Microsoft ..........

Explorer Network Browsing

The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

• Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).
    • When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

All Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings will now appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Contact your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still don't appear in this browse list after the Windows devices appear. It is possible they have this protocol disabled or that they support only SMBv1.

Note We recommend that you map drives and printers instead of enabling this feature, which still requires searching and browsing for their devices. Mapped resources are easier to locate, require less training, and are safer to use. This is especially true if these resources are provided automatically through Group Policy. An administrator can configure printers for location by methods other than the legacy Computer Browser service by using IP addresses, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), Bonjour, mDNS, uPnP, and so on.
    KB

Kbird, Jan 6, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    Is it on the same iprange windows will see it as a new network so all setting will have changed

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Home network doesnt work after windows update and replacing router

1. Home network doesnt work after windows update and replacing router - Similar Threads - Home network doesnt

2. bitlocker key doesnt work after replacing motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bitlocker key doesnt work after replacing motherboard: I replaced the motherboard in my HP Elite X2 G3 with a used one from Ebay. I retained the original hard drive and battery. However, now when I boot up the computer, my bitlocker code doesnt work and the PC name isnt one of my devices so I cant obtain a new key from...
  3. bitlocker key doesnt work after replacing motherboard

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitlocker key doesnt work after replacing motherboard: I replaced the motherboard in my HP Elite X2 G3 with a used one from Ebay. I retained the original hard drive and battery. However, now when I boot up the computer, my bitlocker code doesnt work and the PC name isnt one of my devices so I cant obtain a new key from...
  4. bitlocker key doesnt work after replacing motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Home network not 100% after replacing xfinity gateway modem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home network not 100% after replacing xfinity gateway modem: I am having a home networking connection problem. My network consists of 2 desktops and 2 laptops. One desktop is running Windows 11, one desktop is running windows 10, one laptop is running windows 10 and the other laptop is running windows 7. I'll define a ‘yes...
  6. Home network not 100% after replacing xfinity gateway modem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home network not 100% after replacing xfinity gateway modem: I am having a home networking connection problem. My network consists of 2 desktops and 2 laptops. One desktop is running Windows 11, one desktop is running windows 10, one laptop is running windows 10 and the other laptop is running windows 7. I'll define a ‘yes...
  7. Network Adapters not working after resetting Wifi Router?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Adapters not working after resetting Wifi Router?: Hello, I reset my wifi router today by unplugging the power and plugging it back in, because I was having slowdowns and that usually fixes it and has never given me any issues before. I had my PC connected via Ethernet at the time I did that. Wifi was back up and running...
  8. Microphone doesnt work after update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone doesnt work after update: Logitech C170 webcam/mic stopped working. I added another mic but that doesn't work either. After the Win 10 update this happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-doesnt-work-after-update/f804da9b-f488-49b7-b367-6c216a6fcaa9
  9. How to secure your router and home network

How to secure your router and home network: Many computer users don't realize it, but for most people their internet router is the most important electronic device in their home. It links most of their other devices together and to the world, so it has a highly privileged position that hackers can exploit....
  10. Ethernet Won't Work After TWC Replaces Router

Ethernet Won't Work After TWC Replaces Router: Just the other day, TWC came and replaced a defective router for us, kind folks that they are, with a router that actually works. Computer Details: HP Pavillion 500-164 Windows 10 Home 64-bit Ethernet Adaptor: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller...