Windows 10: Home network issue - one pc cannot be accessed from all others

Discus and support Home network issue - one pc cannot be accessed from all others in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There is one pc which can see all other pcs but cannot be seen from others. Info on the problem PC: OS: W10 Pro v.1709 b.16299.192 Network: Password... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by churin, Feb 2, 2018.

1. churin Win User

Home network issue - one pc cannot be accessed from all others

There is one pc which can see all other pcs but cannot be seen from others.
    Info on the problem PC:
    Network: Password protected sharing.

I tried resetting network(network reset), turning off firewall, etc. Ping to the pc from other goes through.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Edit: Name of the pc and client name as shown on router is not the sam for some reason. Maybe this is cause of the problem. How can it be corrected.

:)

churin, Feb 2, 2018

2. Not able to access "Shared folders" on one of the PCs in my home network

I recently purchased a PC with Windows 10 Pro. We already have a home network/homegroup, and I was successful in joining the homegroup and the network. The other two PCs at home work on Windows 7 Ultimate. I can see all three computers (including this
    new one), and they were all set up to share files/folders on the homegroup and to everyone. However, I am unable to access the files/folders on one of the networked PCs. It can access my files, but I cannot access the files on that PC. I'm not getting
    trouble with the other PC in the home network. The problem seems to be that my new Windows 10 PC cannot access just one of the Windows 7 PCs, but it can access the other one. Can anyone help?

PiolaBarrow, Feb 2, 2018
  3. Don891 Win User
    Unable to create or join Homegroup in Windows 10

I have what I thought was the same problem, but the steps above did not solve it. Here is my situation. I have four PCs all on the same WiFi network, and all using Win 10. I cannot get one of the laptops to either join the Home Group or to be able to access
    the other PCs or printer under Network in File Explorer. The other PCs are fine.

From the problem laptop, I see icons for the other PCs, but I click on one, a dialog box comes up asking for the network credentials - new term for me. What are they? I do not think they are my WiFi ID/Password. Are they the ID and login for the PC I am
    trying to access from beneath Network in File Explorer?

By the way, I can access the internet fine from this problem laptop.

Don891, Feb 2, 2018
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey churin,
    Have you checked if the Network Profile is set to Private and the PC is Discoverable ?

In File Explorer > Address Bar can you access the PC from the others by \\PCNAME or \\IPADDRESS ?
    \\PCNAME - The Device Name in Settings > System > About
    \\IPADDRESS - The Internal IP Address (ie. 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x)

Have you tried rebooting router ?

Eagle51, Feb 2, 2018
  5. churin Win User
    Yes

Ping goes through in either way.

I did, which resulted in that now only one of the three pcs is seen by each pc which means one of them see none except itself under the network.*Confused

churin, Feb 3, 2018
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey churin,
    Since you can access the shares ...
    1. You could just map a network drive - Map Network Drive in Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials
    2. You can try checking/turning on the following two Services to see if the shares show up. It can take awhile so be patient.
    a. Function Discovery Provider Host
    b. Function Discovery Resource Publication.
    3. You might want to check if SMBv1 is still installed. Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Widows Features On & Off > SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support

Note: SMBv1 has been deprecated by MS.

Eagle51, Feb 3, 2018
  7. churin Win User
    Regarding mapping network drive, it does not appear appropriate for my use pattern. I appreciate the suggestion anyway.
    I could not find "Function Discovery Provider Host" nor "Function Discovery Resource Publication" in the Services.
    I could not see "CIFS File Sharing Support", but see "CIFS Client". So I installed this but did not see any effect.

There are three pcs, A, B, and C. W10 v.1709 is on A and C, and originally, v.1511 on B. I changed the v.1511 to v.1709 so that now W10 v.1790 is running on all the PCs on the network.
    Now, A,B and C are listed on B, but none on A and C.
    By \\(computer name) I can access from any PC to any among A, B and C.
    Question now: Is it that for v.1709 W10, networking computers are listed only on one of those in the network? Is there a fix to have all PCcs listed on all PCs?

churin, Feb 4, 2018
  8. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Feb 4, 2018
  9. churin Win User
    It lists two of them and the one where the utility is running is not listed. It indicates B is the Master Browser.

churin, Feb 4, 2018
  10. Eagle51 Win User
    Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication should be in Window Services. You can also start them by doing the following ...

Open a Command Prompt as Administrator
    sc start fdPHost
    sc start FDResPub

Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Widows Features On & Off > Scroll Down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support

Home network issue - one pc cannot be accessed from all others [​IMG]

Eagle51, Feb 4, 2018
  11. churin Win User

churin, Feb 4, 2018
  12. Eagle51 Win User
    Yes, you the want the Server & Client checked and the Automatic Removal unchecked on ALL Win10 PC's. Once you've verified that SMBv1 is installed/enabled on ALL Win10 PC's ... it would be a good idea to shut down ALL PC's, then start them up one by one. The order you start them is up to you, but if you have one PC that's your main PC, then I'd start that one first. Hopefully your shares will show in File Explorer > Network and it may take a couple minutes for them to do so.

Win10 & SMBv1 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

Eagle51, Feb 4, 2018
  13. churin Win User

I followed the above and after shutting down A, B and C, I started A first, and B and C. A change I see is that the master browser is now on A which was on B. And the network shares are not shown on B and C. I am wondering if the master browser is on A because A was started first.

churin, Feb 4, 2018
  14. Eagle51 Win User
    Yes, the PC you start first becomes the Master Browser. The Master Browser function is tied to SMBv1 and when SMBv1 is uninstalled/disable is one reason why shares don't show up as people are use to.

Note:
    1. It can take awhile for shares to show up and I don't really know why.
    2. You should be able to access the shares in File Explorer > Address Bar by doing \\PCNAME or \\IPADDRESS
    \\PCNAME - is the device name in Settings > System > About
    \\IPADDRESS - is the internal IP Address (ie. 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x)

Eagle51, Feb 4, 2018
  15. churin Win User
    It's been 30 minutes since B and C started but no shares show up on these PCs. I assume that the shares are only displayed on A which being the master browser.
    Yes, by using \\PCNAME or \\IPADDRESS I can access any other PCs from B or C.

I think the above concludes this thread.

Thank you very much for your help.

churin, Feb 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Home network issue - one pc cannot be accessed from all others - Similar Threads - Home network issue

2. Cannot see other pc on home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see other pc on home network: I have two computers connected to a home network. Both can get to the internet but both cannot see each other. Ping goes through between them. I got the following message while troublshooting: Website (XXXXXX) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts. XXXXXX is...
  3. Cannot access other computers on my home network

Cannot access other computers on my home network: This is driving me nuts. We have 9 Windows 10 computers in our home all connected to the same network. All of our computers except just one can see and access all the other computers on our home network. I've tried everything I can think of. I recently changed all the...
  4. One PC in network cannot connect to other devices and NAS

One PC in network cannot connect to other devices and NAS: Have tried everything in this Windows 10 piece of _____! v 1909 One PC cannot connect to any other device or the NAS's I have. Two other PC's can connect to anything with no problems. All appear to have same update, etc. Turned SMB1 off and on in all devices. No...
  5. Cannot see other PC on home network

Cannot see other PC on home network: I have two computers running Win 10 and one running OSX 10.8. The one computer was an in place upgrade to Win10 (which I now regret). The upgraded computer, when running Win7, was seen by the other two computers. Since upgrading to Win10, it's disappeared. I've followed the...
  6. Windows Cannot Access other PC's on the network !

Windows Cannot Access other PC's on the network !: I have 2 machines (A +B) both running windows 10 (1903) HOME edition. I am the administrator on both. I recently wanted to transfer data across the network from A to B and vice versa by creating a network. However despite turning on network discovery on both machines...
  7. Cannot access my PC from other OCs on local network

Cannot access my PC from other OCs on local network: I have a weird Win10 network problem. I have 2 Win10 PCs, 2 Win10 laptops, 2 NAS (Linux), and a Win10 tablet on my local network. My PC can access all the others but the others cannot access my PC. This is a new problem and I have no idea why that is happening. The...
  8. Accessing other pc's on home network.

Accessing other pc's on home network.: I have 2 pc's running windows 10 pro, on my main pc File Explorer shows my 2 pc's in network but I can't connect with my second pc everytime, it always shows in file explorer but 95% of the time I get an error message, , Error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found,...
  9. Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network

Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network: Hi, I have a desktop and a laptop setup at home, I have recently upgraded both to Windows 10. Both were previously running Windows 7 Home Premium and could identify each other on the network and I could access files on either PC from one or the other at any time. With the...
  10. One computer cannot access other network computers.

One computer cannot access other network computers.: I have three windows 10 PCs and one NAS on my network. One PC (Lenovo 220X) and the NAS are hardwired. The other two are wireless (Surface Pro 1 and Surface pro 4) The surface pro 4 can see but not access either of the two other PCs. The other PCs can see and access each...