Windows 10: Home Power Failure and Disappearing HDD

Discus and support Home Power Failure and Disappearing HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys, I was lucky enough to have a power cut a couple of hours ago, and despite the PC being on a surge plug it seems to have broken one of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by defection, Jan 21, 2017.

1. defection Win User

Home Power Failure and Disappearing HDD

Hi guys,
    I was lucky enough to have a power cut a couple of hours ago, and despite the PC being on a surge plug it seems to have broken one of my internal harddrives.

I've never had a problem with it til now, but I tried to find it in my computer to no avail, however when I go to Disk Management I'm told I need to Initialise Disk.

Since I'm aware this would cause me to format it, does anyone by any chance have any alternative ideas I can try to attempt to get it back to it's previous state?

Many thanks in advance!

:)

defection, Jan 21, 2017
  2. Shilohbob Win User

Is Windows 10 causing early HD failures

If you read thru the MS forums there is little, if any indication that W10 is a possible cause of HDD failure (I am not defending W10, by the way.) There are some posts claiming that their HDD,s appear to be running more frequently and causing overheating,
    none of those indicated that their HHD, eventually died due to this!!!!!

There is a website called Backblaze, that do regular tests on HDD, (refer link below), they have quite a lot of info on HDD failures, but not whether it is due OS,s or what the actual causes were!

Hard Drive Failure: Analysis of 49,056 Hard Drives

A website search for HDD failures due to W10, does not support any evidence of HDD failure due to OS,s.

The only way I can think that an OS may cause a HDD failure, is if there was a setting, which would cause the HDD failure by thrashing (constant use).

Did you have any indication that the HDD,s were being over-extended, before they died?

When I was active working, I found that virtually all HDD,s I replaced was because of mechanical failure of some part of the HDD, (I will admit that was several years ago and HDD technology & reliability are much better now.)

Have you check the PC manufacturer warranty, as to what terms if any, covers HDD failure?

Shilohbob, Jan 21, 2017
  3. HDD disappear when used

I have strange problem with Win 10. I have SSD and HDD setup. When I try to copy to HDD, it copy some files and then the drive disapperar form Task manager (not from the explorer) and speed drop to 0. It affect even external HDDs connected via USB 3.0
    and even network HDD.. After restart disk is not visible, only thing that helps is turn off PC and turn off power switch. After it the HDD acts as normal, but when i try again to copy (other) data, it write some of them than again, speed drop to 0 and HDD
    disappeared.

Hades Mefisto, Jan 21, 2017
  4. jumanji Win User

Hi,

1. Please post a screenshot of Windows Disk Management.

2. Download, install and run MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition v 9.1 (30.49 MB ) from from Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online

3. Post the first screenshot showing your drives - the first scree that appears as soon as you launch Partition Wizard.

4. Launch PartitionWizard, on the left Pane click on Partition Recovery Wizard > Next > Select your problem drive > Next > Full Disk > Next > Quick Scan > Next. Allow the quick scan to complete. At the end of the quick scan you will get a window showing all the found partitions. Post a screenshot of it. After you have taken the screenshot click on Cancel button on that Window and close PW. You can run it again after getting further instructions from me.

jumanji, Jan 21, 2017
  5. defection Win User
    Hi there,
    Thank you very much for your response, I have attached the requested screenshots. I wasn't able to get the drive to show up on the Partition Recovery Wizard within MiniTool Partition Wizard, sadly. If it makes any difference at all, it was my D: that failed.

Home Power Failure and Disappearing HDD [​IMG]

Home Power Failure and Disappearing HDD [​IMG]

defection, Jan 21, 2017
  6. jumanji Win User
    Please remove all external drives and Flash drives from your PC when we troubleshoot this problem. This will avoid any confusion and accidents.

After removing all external storage devices from your PC, check how your internal drives show up in Device Manager. Post a screenshot. Check the Properties of the problem drive.

Furnish complete details of your problem drive. Manufacturer, Model Number . capacity. You may need to check the health of your drive with the manufacturer's utility.

Also let me know how many partitions you had in that drive and also whether it was initialised as an MBR drive or GPT drive.

jumanji, Jan 21, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    Unfortunately the surge protector doesn't prevent problems with power failures, for that one needs a UPS/Uninterruptible Power Supply or also known as a battery backup. The UPS maintains several minutes power to the computer so as to allow an orderly save of open files and normal shutdown. A surge protector is supposed to prevent excess or unwanted power surging/spikes which can damage equipment.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Home Power Failure and Disappearing HDD - Similar Threads - Home Power Failure

2. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  3. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  4. hdd failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hdd failure: Hello , Every time i start on my laptop it freezes at a point before the windows Sign appears, even if I want to enter the configuration when pressing F10 , it takes a while. So vie took out the regular HDD and left the SSD in the laptop . Then the laptop come back to normal...
  5. hdd failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hdd failure: Hello , Every time i start on my laptop it freezes at a point before the windows Sign appears, even if I want to enter the configuration when pressing F10 , it takes a while. So vie took out the regular HDD and left the SSD in the laptop . Then the laptop come back to normal...
  6. hdd failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Internal HDD disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal HDD disappearing: Recently, I upgraded my GPU and had my PC cleaned. After that my internal HDD just randomly disappears and reappears after shutting down. It happens if it's been off for hours or while I'm using my PC. It only happens to my "D:" drive. I also checked my disk management when...
  8. Internal HDD disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal HDD disappearing: Recently, I upgraded my GPU and had my PC cleaned. After that my internal HDD just randomly disappears and reappears after shutting down. It happens if it's been off for hours or while I'm using my PC. It only happens to my "D:" drive. I also checked my disk management when...
  9. HDD disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD disappearing: The problem started yesterday it. When I booted my HDD just wasn't there in my windows, although it still was shown in my BIOS after many tries of changing SATA cable with my SDD then changing the place where I plugged it in don't know how many times it just appeared again....
  10. External HDD cannot read/write after power failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD cannot read/write after power failure: after a power stop a second, my external hard disk drive 5T cannot be read/write, File Explorer displace the drive but cannot get into. But I can read/write via Apple I/O....