Windows 10: Home version and user needs Admin rights - how to get

Discus and support Home version and user needs Admin rights - how to get in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a friend with a (HP) laptop and Win 10 Home. He tried to install a program (Band in a Box) and he got a pop up that (not the exact wording) it... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by fireberd, Oct 4, 2017.

1. fireberd Win User

Home version and user needs Admin rights - how to get

I have a friend with a (HP) laptop and Win 10 Home. He tried to install a program (Band in a Box) and he got a pop up that (not the exact wording) it was not allowed for his user account. He tried to "Run as Administrator" and got the same thing. He doesn't know about an Administrator Account so I can't get in to try and change his account. He's had the Laptop for about two years and this is the first he's ran into the group policy issue.

How do I go about fixing this for him? I saw one of the forum tutorials about this but it required an Administrator account to access the Group Policy Editor. I did a search for the Group Policy Editor and it did not find it on the PC. Since he doesn't have or know the Administrator password, we are stuck.

:)

fireberd, Oct 4, 2017

2. How to reinstate admin rights to a user account without administrator being activated in Windows 10?

Hi Jim,

To assist you better with your concern, may we confirm if you wish to have admin rights on your Windows 10 computer without creating an Administrator user account? If so, you may refer to the steps provided by Ronnie Vernon found on this

link

Looking forward to your response.

Jhessica Sur, Oct 4, 2017
  3. How to reinstate admin rights to a user account without administrator being activated in Windows 10?

How to reinstate admin rights to a user account without administrator being activated in Windows 10? The admin rights on my account were removed before the Administrator was enabled. How can I restore these Admin rights?

<Moderator Edit:Moved from Insider>

JimEngstrom, Oct 4, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

When Windows 10 was first set up the first account it created would have had administrator rights. Although it's a very bad idea, Windows doesn't stop you from demoting this account to a standard user. This may be what has happened here.

There are ways to check if this is the case, the main one being if when you try to run something that needs admin access the UAC popup has the 'Yes' button missing or greyed out. Try to run 'Command prompt (Admin)' from the WinKey+X menu to test this.

There are also ways to fix this problem, see this thread, particularly post #4.
    Window Ten Can't Run Anything in Admin

Bree, Oct 4, 2017
  5. fireberd Win User
    Cool. Looks like a complicated (for a non techie) procedure. I'll have to have him bring his laptop to me to try the fix.
    Thanks

Jack

fireberd, Oct 4, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Bree, Oct 4, 2017
  7. fireberd Win User
    OK, I missed that. Either way I'll have to do it for him.
    Thanks

fireberd, Oct 4, 2017
  8. fireberd Win User

Fixed. I booted to Safe Mode, signed on as administrator and changed the user's account to Administrator (what he wanted). Thanks for all the help and tracking down the info.

Jack

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Home version and user needs Admin rights - how to get - Similar Threads - Home version user

2. How to get admin rights back in windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get admin rights back in windows: I have lost admin rights what should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-admin-rights-back-in-windows/bc671641-49af-4fa0-b369-2c91865eb3f3
  3. How to get admin rights back in windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get admin rights back in windows: I have lost admin rights what should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-admin-rights-back-in-windows/bc671641-49af-4fa0-b369-2c91865eb3f3
  4. Can't Get Admin Rights

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Get Admin Rights: I created a local account admin and guest account on my windows 8.1, and then I made that new local account administrator and myself became standard user. NOW, when I start my computer and come to the sign-in screen, the local admin account shows but when I type in the...
  5. Can't Get Admin Rights

Can't Get Admin Rights: I created a local account admin and guest account on my windows 8.1, and then I made that new local account administrator and myself became standard user. NOW, when I start my computer and come to the sign-in screen, the local admin account shows but when I type in the...
  6. Can't Get Admin Rights

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Can't Get Admin Rights

8. Admin Rights switched to Standard User

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin Rights switched to Standard User: Win10 Pro Ver. 21H1 I recently changed my logon password and somehow (probably being careless) have disabled my Administrator Rights and switched the system to Standard User. Now of course the UAC is preventing me from opening apps, various sites, Power Shell (Admin) or...
  9. Admin Authorized User not having admin rights

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin Authorized User not having admin rights: The acct I use to login in, the same acct that I used to set up my system when I purchased it was set with Administrator rights. I am the ONLY user and not part of an organization or workplace server. At first glance when you look at acct from the logoff perspective or inside...
  10. How to get admin rights on a standard user without sethc.exe trick

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get admin rights on a standard user without sethc.exe trick: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/NTDEV14 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h8cmlx/how_to_get_admin_rights_on_a_standard_user/