Windows 10: Home vs Pro Permissions

Discus and support Home vs Pro Permissions in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I am the administrator on a church PC running Windows 10 HOME. I'm consistently having issues with other users changing settings, downloading... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by swordmetal, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Home vs Pro Permissions

Hello,
    I am the administrator on a church PC running Windows 10 HOME. I'm consistently having issues with other users changing settings, downloading and installing software, and otherwise just making my job much more difficult. I'm constantly fixing something that someone else has adjusted. On our PC, most users only need access to a couple of programs. Ideally I'd like to restrict user access so the only thing that can be done without an admin password is run the programs needed, no access rights to anything else and no changes to settings. I know I'm very limited in the HOME version with what I can accomplish here. Would the PRO version of Windows 10 be of any help?
    Thank you

:)

swordmetal, Mar 22, 2016

2. How to move "details pane" to bottom of Windows 10?

Win Home vs. Pro maybe?

TomCollicott49, Mar 22, 2016
  3. home network with windows home and pro

Sharing files and networking is no different in Home vs Pro. There are no special features or bells or whistles in Pro for what you want to do.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 22, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Home vs Pro Permissions

I am going to speculate here...............
    You have only 1 user account in the computer and it is an admin account.
    You let EVERYONE use that admin account.

If my speculate is correct, then here is your problem............... you are letting others to use your admin account.
    Admin account has the privileges to change settings, install programs etc etc.

You should create a standard user account.
    Standard user account cannot change settings, install programs etc without entering the admin password.
    Change your admin password and keep it confidential and your problem is solved.

davidhk, Mar 22, 2016
  5. Thanks for the reply. I actually do have the accounts separated by standard user and admin, however, it sounds like there's a problem with how I created them. Just to clarify, in Windows 10 HOME, I should be able to create standard user accounts that don't have permission to access and change settings?

swordmetal, Mar 22, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    ..................Just to clarify, in Windows 10 HOME, I should be able to create standard user accounts that don't have permission to access and change settings? .....................

Yes. No difference between Home and Pro. Works the same way in user account permissions.
    Perhaps your admin password has been compromised ?

davidhk, Mar 22, 2016
  7. I don't believe that the admin password has been compromised. I'm able to log in to all user accounts and make changes to the settings without entering the admin password. Is it possible that I created all user accounts with admin level access?

swordmetal, Mar 22, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Home vs Pro Permissions

Go to User Account and check your standard user accounts .................

Start button > Settings > Accounts > left side, click Family & other users > right side, under other users heading, are your standard accounts really listed as standard accounts and not admin accounts ?

Home vs Pro Permissions [​IMG]

davidhk, Mar 22, 2016
  9. Thanks for your help, I'll take a look next time I'm there.

Have a great day!

swordmetal, Mar 22, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    I would also recommend changing the password to be sure they don't know the password to the admin account.

Winuser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Home vs Pro Permissions

1. Home vs Pro Permissions - Similar Threads - Home Pro Permissions

2. Win 11 Home vs Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 Home vs Pro: I purchased Win 11 Pro, but was delivered a digital cert for Win 11 Home. How do I contact the MS Store to get this corrected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-11-home-vs-pro/6a58dd5b-3f14-4577-bb06-14937c7bc056
  3. Win 11 Home vs Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 Home vs Pro: I purchased Win 11 Pro, but was delivered a digital cert for Win 11 Home. How do I contact the MS Store to get this corrected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-11-home-vs-pro/6a58dd5b-3f14-4577-bb06-14937c7bc056
  4. Activation: Home Vs Pro Product Keys

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation: Home Vs Pro Product Keys: What happens to Windows 10 Home Original product key and version after upgrading to Pro ?Can I go back into my original version, Windows 10 Home, which came with my pc ?...
  5. Windows 10 Pro vs Home

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Pro vs Home: Sorry in advance if this is a re-occurring question that happens in this subreddit but I really am getting fed up with people telling me I need to get a windows 10 pro version of a laptop because its better for productivity. While yes, I do understand it might have better...
  6. Windows 10 Home vs. Windows Pro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Home vs. Windows Pro: Hi, I bought a laptop (via auction) that was advertised as coming with Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I ran the initial setup (it was brand new), but offline (because I didn't want to register it yet, it's for somebody else). After I logged it, it said "Windows 10 Home". Is it...
  7. windows 10 home vs pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 home vs pro: I am buying a new computer and have always used Windows home. Found a good price on a Dell, but it has Windows Pro. Any downside or big difference I should now about between the two? I do not need Pro, but that is what comes on the pc. Thanks...
  8. Windows 10 Home vs pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home vs pro: Hello, I need advise on win 10 home or pro is better for gamming and multimedia (movies, music) ? 123387
  9. Windows 10 home vs pro

Windows 10 home vs pro: This question has probably already been asked a few times, but do i really need windows 10 pro? I use my computer for gaming and browsing the internet, and looking at some of the features from the professional version, i dont really see the need for any one them....
  10. 8.1 to 10 - Home vs Pro

8.1 to 10 - Home vs Pro: Been out of the loop for around 12 days and I am curious about the upgrade to 10. After trying various TP's on a separate hard drive I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my 8.1 using 10166, it was then updated to 10240 as a pro edition. After missing the 29th launch I got...