Windows 10: Homegroup - copying files

Discus and support Homegroup - copying files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want to copy files from the source PC to the destination PC, but I don't want to allow editing or deletion of these files from the destination PC.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by weamish, Oct 29, 2016.

1. weamish Win User

Homegroup - copying files

I want to copy files from the source PC to the destination PC, but I don't want to allow editing or deletion of these files from the destination PC. How do I set this up? Thanks!

Tried setting the destination folder as Homegroup > View, but then it will not allow me to copy a file to that folder.

:)

weamish, Oct 29, 2016
  2. RandomSF Win User

Cannot write to a Homegroup share (need permissions problem)

I had a Homegroup between a wirelessly networked laptop and a wired computer.

With both machines running, I left the Homegroup on each.

Shutdown the laptop.

Reboot the main computer and create a Homegroup.

Share the entire User folder and all standard libraries with Read/Write access to the Homegroup and wait for it to complete.

Share an additional folder outside the Homegroup with RW access to the Homegroup.

Boot the laptop and join the Homegroup.

The printer shared from the main computer works from the laptop.

Share the entire User folder to the Homegroup with RW access.

Copying files from the main computer to the laptop works without problem, i.e., I can read files.

Trying to copy a small file from the laptop and try to paste it to the main computer any folder gives:

Fails with Destination Folder Access Denied. You need permission to perform this action.

I cannot Write to the main computer.

I can write to the other shared folder on the main computer.

It is only anything within the User folder that I cannot write to.

RandomSF, Oct 29, 2016
  3. balkha7 Win User
    Network error while connecting to HomeGroup

I have win7 & win10 laptop. Want to share files of 7 on 10 and homegroup is joined successfully. but when I try to open the folder on 10 it says Network error. Or please provide any easy way to copy bulk file to another laprop.

Original title: homegroup

balkha7, Oct 29, 2016
Thema:

Homegroup - copying files

1. Homegroup - copying files - Similar Threads - Homegroup copying files

2. Homegroup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Homegroup: In short, I have a dead computer : My dead computer is still showing on my homegroup. How do I remove please? Thanks in advance Sue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup/65be341c-2c47-46e2-bf90-0e128244fc63
  3. Homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Homegroup: My ability to use homegroup has disappeared in the 1803 versions of Win10. Why? What is being done about this? When? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup/2e78b13a-90d7-4791-87f7-d7539aa9c04d
  4. homegroup

homegroup: Homegroup has disappeared https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/homegroup/3026f692-4c87-4c5d-b6b6-4bce30fe96a4
  5. Homegroup

Homegroup: The removal of Homegroup and Network from Windows 10 has left me with no means of communication between my PC and my Laptop. Is a new mechanism likely to emerge soon or if ever. I do not intend to use Onedrive....
  6. homegroup

homegroup: I am having problems with other homegroup computers accessing my shared folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/homegroup/699ecc3e-0639-47c8-8c4d-e4f31f8a4700
  7. Homegroup

Homegroup: Can anyone from microsoft explain to me why my home group is no longer working after my computers automatically updated in the middle of the night. I use this on a regular basis. Now i cannot. and to be quite honest i am pissed right off. do the techs at microsoft not...
  8. How to share files now there's no Homegroup?

How to share files now there's no Homegroup?: Think I've kind of sorted it. Only weird thing is, is sometimes the computers on the network show up, sometimes they don't!
  9. Homegroups

Homegroups: It is high time to report my experiences with the W10 installation to you. Microsoft pushes all of us to do this before end of June. 1. Do a thorough backup of all your data. 2. If you use the attached file, and invoke it, it does the whole job by itself. You can go...
  10. HomeGrouping

HomeGrouping: Hi all...definately need you urgently In 10240 I could network to two other pcs in my home but not after the 1025 upgrade What' the trick please ?*Sad 19423