Windows 10: Homegroup created by a computer no longer on the network

Discus and support Homegroup created by a computer no longer on the network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I realize there are other threads on the topic of Homegroups but I did not want to hijack any. I upgraded two desktops (from win 7 and win 8.1) to Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dudley, Aug 21, 2015.

1. dudley Win User

Homegroup created by a computer no longer on the network

I realize there are other threads on the topic of Homegroups but I did not want to hijack any. I upgraded two desktops (from win 7 and win 8.1) to Win 10. While I love it, I must say it did not go as smoothly as I anticipated (and I consider myself reasonably computer savvy).

Right now I am trying to solve an issue with a HomeGroup. It is in a state of flux, and I tried everything I could think of. The main problem is be that one (or sometimes both) desktops see a HomeGroup that was created long time ago by a computer I no longer had. Naturally, I don't have the password to it. When I turn one computer off, the other one seems to be OK to create a new HomeGroup, but once I turn on the first computer, all goes awry again.

Is there any way to reset it to original state? Thanks.

:)

dudley, Aug 21, 2015

2. Windows 10 update messed up HomeGroup; now even main computer can't access the HomeGroup it created

I entered the password for the homegroup (on the same computer that created it) and after thinking about it for ages, Windows decided, "Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network. To create a new homegroup, click OK, and then open HomeGroup in
    Control Panel."

But when I follow those directions and go to HomeGroup in Control Panel, it says, "jdoe on main-computer has created a homework on the network," and gives me a "Join now" button. I click the button... and the vicious circle starts again.

Garret Wilson, Aug 21, 2015
  3. how to stop homegroup, buy not really...

This is a strange problem, the Network and Sharing Center says I have created a homegroup, but it only shows the "join now" button. I cannot turn off (leave) the homegroup because I have not actually joined yet, I guess, so that I could try and create a
    new homegroup; because when I click on the "join now" button and paste in the password, I get a message: "Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network. To create a new homegroup click OK, and then open HomeGroup in Control Panel." If I open HomeGroup
    in the Control Panel, it's the same thing, just the "join now" button. There is nothing about leaving the homegroup or creating a new homegroup.

If I right click on the network icon in the notification area, there is a "HomeGroup: Available to join" link listed with my active network, but it just opens the same page with the information that I have created a homegroup on the network and the "join
    now" button.

In brief, Windows is saying I have created a homegroup, but I cannot join it or leave it either. This is the same on the second computer I would like to connect to. There is a homegroup and a "join now" button, but then the message "Windows is no longer
    detecting a homegroup on this network"; because of course, I am not connected to the homegroup on the first computer, which is where the homegroup was originally created.

A few months ago I changed the 500 GB Hard Drive for a 500 GB SSD drive on the first (primary) computer, and I don't know if I've used the homegroup since then or not. Could this have anything to do with the problem?

How can I create a new homegroup or at least fix the one that exists but doesn't exist?

wondermuse, Aug 21, 2015
  4. Gnome Win User

I'm no expert but I had a similar situation. I replaced my old (Win 7 32 bit) PC with a new one, running Win 10. But I forgot that the homegroup had been created by the Win7 PC and the other PCs were still connecting to that homegroup.

The solution was to turn on all PCs in the group, and then select Leave homegroup on all of them. Once a homegroup has no members it disappears. After that you create a new homegroup on whichever PC you want.

For the password, there should be an option somewhere on the homegroup screen, on a PC that is still joined to it, to "Show or print homegroup password".

Gnome, Aug 22, 2015
  5. dudley Win User
    Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, that does not work for me. As of right now, both computers claim that the old computer - that I no longer have - has created a homework on the network.

dudley, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Homegroup created by a computer no longer on the network - Similar Threads - Homegroup created computer

2. Networking and Homegroups no longer working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking and Homegroups no longer working: It seems that over time networking keeps changing and what used to work no longer works. (This is for a home network of two Win 10 and one Win 7). At one point I had a homegroup setup, but I hadn't messed with it for a while and now I don't know the password anymore. I have...
  3. Windows No Longer Detects a Homegroup

Windows No Longer Detects a Homegroup: my boys want to play minecraft on the lan. so i create a homegroup. with their machines switched off. then i switch on their machines and see the message that i've created a homegroup. so i click 'join' and input the password. and both machines give me an error...
  4. Unable to create Homegroup on this computer.

Unable to create Homegroup on this computer.: Thought I would pass on a solution that worked for me when I was about to give up and reinstal again, without any guarantee of success. I installed Windows 10 about 3 weeks ago on my second computer, leaving the main computer on Win7 until I tried it out. Had so many...
  5. Cannot leave or create homegroup

Cannot leave or create homegroup: I've tried every "fix" I've come across and I cannot get my homegroup back up. Is there a way to use the command line to leave the homegroup? This has been a huge pain since I upgraded my PCs to Win10. Using flash drives to share files is getting old. 27295
  6. Homegroup/Networking Problems

Homegroup/Networking Problems: I adopted the Windows 10 preview back before July, did a fresh install and had it working with another PC here at home which was Windows 7 Ultimate x 64. The homegroup worked fine between the two... but after I upgraded the Windows 7 machine, it stopped working. I used the...
  7. Update: "This computer can not join/create homegroup"

Update: "This computer can not join/create homegroup": I've tried trouble shooters for homegroup and network I've tried enable ipv6 I've tried making sure all necessary tasks are "running" in the services section of the network and sharing center I've tried making sure all my advanced homegroup settings were correct. I've...
  8. Computer Name Wrong in Homegroup But Right on Network?

Computer Name Wrong in Homegroup But Right on Network?: I have what I think is a simple problem. Here is a picture of the swapped names as I can't seem to find anybody else with this issue as I searched. [img] How do I get 1 out of 2? What have I done wrong? Thanks for the help! . . . 78489
  9. Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup

Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup: Hi there! I've just upgraded my husband PC from Windows 7 to 10. Everything went well except that I can no longer connect to the network. After some attempt, I chose to delete all homegroup to create a new one. All right on my husband's computer (leave the homegroup),...
  10. Create Homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Homegroup in Windows 10: How to: Create Homegroup in Windows 10 [img] Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers on your local home network. You can also stream media to...