Windows 10: Homegroup displays more machines than now exist

Discus and support Homegroup displays more machines than now exist in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a small network of computers and Homegroup is working a little to well. The network has had to have some changes, machines converting to W10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MacNala, Nov 21, 2015.

1. MacNala Win User

Homegroup displays more machines than now exist

I have a small network of computers and Homegroup is working a little to well.
    The network has had to have some changes, machines converting to W10 and changing names.
    The problem is there does not seem to be a way to refresh the Homegroup list of machines that have joined the Homegroup.

Or is there? do you know a way to display only the machines live on the LAN.?

:)

MacNala, Nov 21, 2015
  2. oiler Win User

HOMEGROUP

I have spend a lot of time trying to establish a Homegroup on this win10 machine. Totally without success. It shows that a homegroup exists, but when trying to access it tells me that this computer is unable to create or join a homegroup. Are you scrapping
    Homegroup???? I use it a lot on my win 7 machines without trouble and it's so much easier than trying to set up shares etc. etc. Is there a solution to all of this please

oiler, Nov 21, 2015
  3. GeoffJar Win User
    Windows 10 'Windows can't set up a homegroup on this computer'

This worked for me. These are the steps that worked:

Turn off the machine that Windows 10 claims controls the Homegroup.

Reboot another machine so that it loses any detail about the existing Homegroup.

Use this rebooted machine and go to Homegroup and you will be told that no Homegroup exists. Set up your Homegroup from this machine.

Set up any other machines that you have except the one that you turned off.

Turn the first machine back on and it will tell you that it has an invitation to join a Homegroup. Join.

Hey presto I had file sharing and printer sharing based on the options I chose during setup.

GeoffJar, Nov 21, 2015
  4. sml156 Win User

Have you tried leaving the home group on all machines, After leaving the home group I would probably reboot all the computers and when joining the home group again I would make sure that the password is different

sml156, Nov 21, 2015
  5. MacNala Win User
    No I have not as it is a difficult task to get all the machines off at the same time. I am not sure if this will resolve the situation. I am looking for other solutions. Such as a hidden command which resets the list of homegroup machines in a machine. I have read but not understood netsh capabilities yet. Does that do something with this list?

MacNala, Nov 21, 2015
  6. Bumpkin Win User
    I had this problem in the past and I think if you right click on the entries that are not connected you will see the option to remove them.

Since my Homegroup does not work since the Threshold 2 update I can't give any better advice at this time!

Bumpkin, Nov 21, 2015
  7. MacNala Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I will try that but I really think MS has not thought through the Homegroup stuff. They are probably more interested in the larger business's.

MacNala, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Homegroup displays more machines than now exist - Similar Threads - Homegroup displays more

2. Multiple desktops on machines with more than one display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple desktops on machines with more than one display: Hi there,I've got a suggestion that I don't know where to share and I don't have time to look through all the discussions. If someone finds it interesting and knows where to post it, please let me know. I really love working with multiple desktops on Windows. I usually work...
  3. Multiple desktops on machines with more than one display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple desktops on machines with more than one display: Hi there,I've got a suggestion that I don't know where to share and I don't have time to look through all the discussions. If someone finds it interesting and knows where to post it, please let me know. I really love working with multiple desktops on Windows. I usually work...
  4. Homegroup does not exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Homegroup does not exist: Homegroup does not exist in my laptop although I have win7 and there i can access but when i install win10 i can even find it i searched in Search box in Start I searched in control panal I searched in Setting but Nothing...
  5. backup files from more than 1 machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup files from more than 1 machine: Hi I have several laptops in the family all running windows 10. I have two questions Question1 I want to back them all up to one external drive. When I set up backup options (in settings) it doesn't give me the option to create a folder to put each back up - it just...
  6. More Homegroup Problems

More Homegroup Problems: Hi... I created a home group on my desktop while I had windows 7 installed... (I can not remember the password) Now after Upgrading to Windows 10 I can't access it... not from 1 of the PC's that were on this homegoup... none of us are on the homegroup, thus this...
  7. machine can't be added to Homegroup

machine can't be added to Homegroup: I upgraded several workstations .. one from 8.1 and another on an HP laptop from win 7 , as well as a fresh install of win 10 on a third., all 64bit machines. After a lot of hassle I got the homegroup working on all but the machine that was on w7 earlier ... (It worked before...
  8. Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup

Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup: Hi there! I've just upgraded my husband PC from Windows 7 to 10. Everything went well except that I can no longer connect to the network. After some attempt, I chose to delete all homegroup to create a new one. All right on my husband's computer (leave the homegroup),...
  9. Homegroup Display issue

Homegroup Display issue: Hello. Just curious if there is any way to change the way Home group displays computers in explorer? At present it seems to nest the computers in user accounts. I'm hoping there is a way to stop this behavior and just display the computers themselves. Thank you 33380
  10. Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist.: I have multiple PCs in my house, one that I use myself, and one that is used by the others. Now I need to transfer about 80GB from one PC to the other, and I decided to try the homegroup thingy. Now I never set it up, not on my PC, nor on theirs, but since my bro is still...