Windows 10: Homegroup has unwanted, unshared Folders - How to remove?

Discus and support Homegroup has unwanted, unshared Folders - How to remove? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Although not shared with other PC's in the Homegroup, one PC's Downloads and Desktop folders have curiously shown up in the Homegroup with no apparent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dapster, Nov 7, 2015.

1. dapster Win User

Homegroup has unwanted, unshared Folders - How to remove?

Although not shared with other PC's in the Homegroup, one PC's Downloads and Desktop folders have curiously shown up in the Homegroup with no apparent way to remove them including leaving the Homegroup and rejoining. The PC in question is running a fully updated Win 10 Pro. The other two are running updated versions of Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Home.

Any ideas how to get rid of these "interlopers"?

:)

dapster, Nov 7, 2015

2. No HomeGroup visible on the network, since upgrading laptop from Windows 7 to 10.

The Homegroup facility is driving me to distraction !! I have just upgraded a Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10. Before this upgrade I had a perfectly good, working HomeGroup established, which linked and shared files with my Windows 10 desktop. However, the
    newly upgraded laptop now says there is no HomeGroup set up on the network.

I have followed all of the various online advice, regarding deleting & recreating the HomeGroup, making sure that all of the critical services are set to automatic & restarted, deleting files within folders that store the HomeGroup details, resetting network
    adapters etc, etc, etc. But all absolutely to no avail. I guess it must be a related issue, but I have also noted that the context menu item "Share With HomeGroup" has now disappeared, when I right click on any previously shared folders. All that is displayed
    now is "Advanced Sharing" options

Before anyone suggests it, I have also done a complete network / adapter reset on both the laptop & desktop. Really beginning to wish that I had left Windows 7 installed on the laptop now, because everything worked fine then !!!

In desperation, I thought I would try to "unshare" the folders on the Windows desktop, but now find that functionality doesn´t work either, ie the options to share or unshare are greyed out & therefore unavailable !!!

Chris G Rowland, Nov 7, 2015
  3. Version 1703 Creator Release - Networking Share problems

Ok, the HomeGroup on the primary computer has essentially set itself up twice.

I have deleted all files and folders in the \\server......\PeerNetworking folder including the idstore.sst; and yet the HomeGroup is still there under control panel and ask me to join, even though this is the computer-primary that originally set it up, which
    means it should not ask me the question to begin with.

Anyone know how to actually remove this unwanted persistent HomeGroup that got duplicated with the Win 10 Creator release?

Is there a Microsoft tech available that knows how to fix this?

GoingMadCompletely, Nov 7, 2015
Thema:

Homegroup has unwanted, unshared Folders - How to remove?

1. Homegroup has unwanted, unshared Folders - How to remove? - Similar Threads - Homegroup has unwanted

2. unshare folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unshare folder: I want to unshare a folder but the "remove access" button doesnt workI also tried to use the computer manager executed as an administrator but the "stop sharing button doesnt show....
  3. unshare folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unshare folder: I want to unshare a folder but the "remove access" button doesnt workI also tried to use the computer manager executed as an administrator but the "stop sharing button doesnt show....
  4. unshare folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. unshared folder is accessible on network

unshared folder is accessible on network: I have a shared data drive on my computer. 1 folder with subfolders that I do not want shared is on that drive. However when I look on that drive from another computer on my network I can access it, all its subfolders, and all their files. I checked each folder's sharing...
  6. How to unshare a folder in Windows 10?

How to unshare a folder in Windows 10?: I accidently shared the Users folder of my Windows 10 PC. I wanted to share the Public folder. Now the 'Share' button under Properties -> Sharing is greyed out. How can I unshare this folder? I have Administrator privileges of course. And I already did a restart....
  7. How can I unshare the Users folder?

How can I unshare the Users folder?: Hello How can I unshare the Users folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-unshare-the-users-folder/7ce54178-1a56-4f3d-8935-bb12b2cd5927
  8. Removing unwanted folders or programs

Removing unwanted folders or programs: How do I remove a program or folder I no longer want https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-unwanted-folders-or-programs/34be2cf4-1af7-4a4f-80ba-b2e14116c168
  9. Removal of unwanted folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removal of unwanted folders: Removal of unwanted folders One of my setups has recently fallen victim to some misbehaving software that had undesirable contents installed on the D drive which is used for personal data. "Apps and features" was able to remove these, but attempts to delete the folders left...
  10. How to remove unwanted user account folders.\

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove unwanted user account folders.\: In the progression from the December build ( I forget its number) to 10049 I have wound up with an unwanted user account in my C:\Users folder. It doesn't show up in Control Panel/User Accounts so I can't remove it via that route and if I try do deleteit from C:/Users by...