Windows 10: HomeGroup is asking to join on PC that should have created it.

Discus and support HomeGroup is asking to join on PC that should have created it. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am gonna be blunt here. I did post this in a HomeGroup thread already and no luck with a reply. So I am going to start a new thread. So I did the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by VIthe3rd, Aug 16, 2016.

1. VIthe3rd Win User

HomeGroup is asking to join on PC that should have created it.

I am gonna be blunt here. I did post this in a HomeGroup thread already and no luck with a reply. So I am going to start a new thread.

So I did the final 10 upgrade about 2 weeks ago on 3 of my machines. Now Homegroup is not working. I have gone through steps from multiple sites with no luck at getting this working.

Here is the break down.

Laptop Sony Vaio. Basic specs. Running 64 bit 10
    Media Center Nothing special. Running 64 10
    Main PC Really not special. Running 64 10

I want the Main PC to be the creator of the Home Group.
    For some reason the laptop wants to be the creator of the home group. So I shut it down.

Now I went to create the home group on my main pc and it says its already created. The twist is that it says that my Main PC is the home group creator and that the only options is to join or close. This is on my pc that I want it to be created on.

I have gone through with stopping and restarting services for the HomeGroup. I have deleted all the files files out of the C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking folder. I have shut down all machines. But still says that Main PC has created the group already.

I am Stumped.

:)

VIthe3rd, Aug 16, 2016

2. Homegroup problem -deeper than i thought

Windows 10 both pc's.

-I have a desktop pc ( I call it A) and a laptop (I call it B). In the past B was part of a homegroup (with another pc).

B now is not a part of any homegroup (i left the previous one). When i go to settings it says i can create a homegroup.

Now about A. When B is turned off, A it says i can create a homegroup. BUT the moment i turn on B, A says i can join a homegroup although there is no one created. I create a homegroup in Β and then i try to join with Α but says wrong password
    (of course).

-B is not part of any homegroup and it is turned off. I create a homegroup in A and then i turn on B to join it. The moment i turn on B, the homegroup in A disappeares and asks me (for A) to join a homegroup.

Is there a phantom homegroup in B which makes this mess?

What should i do?

Please help.

allotrios1, Aug 16, 2016
  3. david-e Win User
    Set up Homegroup with a dual band router

I have already run the troubleshooter.

My issue is that my PC is not asked to join a Homegroup. Rather, I am asked to create a new Homegroup.

Not sure why, but the PC is not "seeing" the Homegroup created on my Surface.

The Surface is WiFi; the PC is hard-wired into the router.

david-e, Aug 16, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

It probably got created during the upgrade. In other words, someone clicked to create a Homegroup. You just have to right click on the Network Icon where the clock is and open up the Network window, then go to Homegroup and tell it to leave the homegroup.

Also a PC does not create the homegroup, a human has to create it by enabling it. No one really uses that feature, because if anything happens to the computer that is considered the Master or Slave, you run into headaches to remove all home group settings and set back up for the new computer.

Just use standard Network sharing. It has worked for decades.

bro67, Aug 16, 2016
  5. VIthe3rd Win User
    Totally understand what you are saying. But as for create home group It was never an option after I went from 7 to 10 on the pc that I want to create the homegroup on. It just keeps saying that the home group that is there is hosted on the machine that it is supposed to be created on. I will screen shot it so it is easier to understand

Basically just want to reset this so it will create the homegroup. Not say it that it is being invited.

HomeGroup is asking to join on PC that should have created it. [​IMG]

VIthe3rd, Aug 17, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    If it was on a Home Group with Windows 7 before you upgraded to Windows 10, I would say that it remembered the Home Group when it was Windows 7 and the difference between the two OS's are the problem. Have you tried the steps in the Tutorial section to remove the Home Group on each machine if the OS will not let you do it from the Network screen when you right click on the network Icon in the Tasks area.

bro67, Aug 17, 2016
  7. VIthe3rd Win User
    I think you are right. Going from 7 to 10 is the error. My laptop and my media machine will allow either create or join. Its only this machine that thinks it has already created a homegroup and is asking to join what it thinks it created.

I looked at the tutorial and yes. I have done that one. And many others like it or similar to it. I am now thinking its gonna be deeper than just files and folders. Probably Registry Edits to accomplish this simple task.

VIthe3rd, Aug 17, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

It happened with Vista and 7 also. It is one of those small items that we tend to do as housekeeping, before upgrading. The only way that we learn is by error.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HomeGroup is asking to join on PC that should have created it. - Similar Threads - HomeGroup asking join

2. Joining a HomeGroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Joining a HomeGroup: I have been trying to join 2 laptops to a HomeGroup set up and there is no option showing to join. There are several guides that I've seen and all show options that do not appear on either laptop I'm trying to join with. Supposedly ther is a HomeGroup option within the...
  3. About Homegroup Joining/creating Option

About Homegroup Joining/creating Option: hi ! I created homegroup from windows 7 , and wanted to join from windows 10 home , but I could not see any option of Homegroup to join or create in Windows 10 , but Pc in the Network was visible and opened too. But shared folder could not be opened. The shared Printer...
  4. Unable to Join HomeGroup

Unable to Join HomeGroup: Hello everyone. I set up a homegroup years ago.. and had it set to two computers linked up and ready to go. Now we moved, got new everything and trying to set it up again but its showing my old homegroup. I can ether click on (Change Adv Settings) or Troubleshoot. Also...
  5. Homegroup issue - can't join or create new one

Homegroup issue - can't join or create new one: Yeah, same issue as many, it appears. In Windows 10, I have a Homegroup created by my laptop. But, not only can I not join it with other computers, but when I try with the laptop it says, "No Homegroup found". That's after telling me that the Homegroup exists and asks if I...
  6. Can't Join or Delete Homegroup

Can't Join or Delete Homegroup: I have a 3 PC ("Server" and two others) home network. On my Server, OLDLOCALUSER created a Homegroup in Win7. I upgraded all 3 PCs from Win7 to Win10. On my Server, I changed my OLDLOCALUSER to NEWMSACCOUNT. I also created NEWMSACCOUNT on the two other PCs. I lost the...
  7. Cannot Join, Remove, or Create Another Homegroup.

Cannot Join, Remove, or Create Another Homegroup.: [img] I have 3 computers running Windows 10. Two were upgraded from Windows 7, and one from Windows 8. May not have had the Homegroup working properly before, and I think I had created one some time ago. I don't know what the password was. But, now that all of the machines...
  8. Cannot join HomeGroup

Cannot join HomeGroup: I have two computers, my desktop and my laptop which is a Lenovo T520 Thinkpad. My laptop is connected to a D-Link Smart switch via Cat 7 which is connected to my router as well as my desktop. I originally created a Home group on my desktop and then went to Home group on my...
  9. Update: "This computer can not join/create homegroup"

Update: "This computer can not join/create homegroup": I've tried trouble shooters for homegroup and network I've tried enable ipv6 I've tried making sure all necessary tasks are "running" in the services section of the network and sharing center I've tried making sure all my advanced homegroup settings were correct. I've...
  10. Join Homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Join Homegroup in Windows 10: How to: Join Homegroup in Windows 10 [img] Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers on your local home network. You can also stream media to...