Windows 10: Homegroup misery

Discus and support Homegroup misery in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 desktops and a laptop all running windows 10. Homegroup was set up and working and then stopped working for no reason. I have done dozens of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cheryl1961, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Homegroup misery

I have 2 desktops and a laptop all running windows 10. Homegroup was set up and working and then stopped working for no reason. I have done dozens of searches online trying to find a solution i.e. deleting the homegroup, trying to find the password to join it. I can find nothing that helps me. All instructions I have seen I have followed but dont work. None of the computers show me the password for homegroup. I have tried changing it when it gives me the option of editing but still nothing. CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME?????
    *Sad

Thank you

:)

cheryl1961, Jan 16, 2017
  2. intensify Win User

homegroup misery

so I have a network.... there are multiple computers thereon. Most running windows 10 one running 7 all PRO. I am having a **** of a time sharing files between the systems running windows 10! so I figured I'd set up the homegroup. all the computers are
    asking to join the homegroup but there was never a homegroup created! so of course there is no password! Further, when running the troubleshooter the computers say there is no homegroup on the network...

****?!?!

I would rather not use the homegroup but the file sharing has to happen... I've set file shares and opened up the public folder... but when I try to connect to the shares it prompts for a user and password... when I use the admin creds for the box that holds
    the shares I'm still unable to access the shares... EXCEPT windows 7 can do and see all... great OS... don't know why MS has to **** everything up over and over! but that is neither here nor there.

These systems were upgraded from windows 7 to 10. the update corrupted the 365 install AND .pst files on all of them! just got that fixed and the last problem that I can find is this file sharing issue.

Any ideas on the file shares or the homegroup?

AND NO WHINY CORPORATE UNHELPFULL REPLIES!!! I want someone to actually think about this and provide an answer they think will work NOT post a bunch of half broken links to other MS sites that waste our time!

*update*

I just had a buddy swing over and we connected his laptop to the wifi and I tried to access the shares... I was prompted for credentials entered the admin creds for the share system and viola' accessed the shares... so I'm thinking there is something on
    the one other windows 10 system that is preventing it from accessing the shares but I can't fathom what that could be since it prompts for the creds and I input them correctly... I don't think it would be firewalls or antivirus if all the other computers
    are able to see the shares...

*sigh* just when windows is awesome (xp, 7) they Obama it. (supposed to be even better but ends up being the horrible of horribles)

lol I love this game.

intensify, Jan 16, 2017
  3. intensify Win User
    homegroup misery

LOL I know Frank!! I heard that the entire windows 8 development team was axed! maybe MS is finally tired of release garbage every other OS. time will tell.

****UPDATE****

So after beating my head against the wall for a time on this... I took one system at a time and reinstalled windows 10 pro x64 from installation media with new Keys to get the updated OS off the system. the accountant pc was the last and now that everything
    was fresh installed instead of upgraded from 7 things are working fine. no stupid homegroup!! I'll never try that again!

I especially like how the microsoft reply did exactly what I asked them not to... and then had the gall to mark their own post as the answer... I unmarked it as it WAS NOT AN ANSWER.... geeeeeeezzzzz!!!!! what the heck?!?!?!

anyway... my advice is get rid of the upgraded OS... and refuse to use homegroups. what a mess.

intensify, Jan 16, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Homegroup misery

Welcome to the forum. It's always been a pain remove home group and just use normal workgroup you can do the same things with no hassel

Samuria, Jan 16, 2017
  5. Samuria Thank you for your comment. The problem I have is that I cannot delete the homegroup NOR can I joint a workgroup. None of the machines let me do it. All the machines appear to be missing the parts that I am sent to. Where do I fid the password for the homegroup? When I go looking I am simply asked to join the homegroup and asks for a password*cry

cheryl1961, Jan 16, 2017
  6. Not exactly sure what you mean when you say can't delete homegroup. I understand the english but does it say, no homegroup to delete or does it say can't find, you don't have authority, error code xxxx. Could you explain please.

You may have tried some of these, can I suggest you try is this order.

Could I first suggest you shutoff router, count to 20 and power back up. Wait for router to establish. Open file explorer, in Network section, lower left can you see other machines? If you can see other machines, and again not having benefit of why you can't delete, can you try to create homegroup.

Now I'm not sure where you are on Homegroup with solutions you tried or what may be set so I'm going to suggest you reset network on each machine and then run the Homegroup trouble shooter and Sharing trouble shooter.

First reset network by entering settings, Network and Internet, scroll to bottom and Reset. Reboot. It will require wireless network passwords, ensure you pick private networks and allow discovery.

Then type troubleshooting into Cortana, Troubleshooting appears at top of list, click, window opens, at top left click "View all". Run Network and Shared files trouble shooters on each machine.

Once all machines are cleared, reset, Open file explorer and under Networks you should be able to detect other machines. If you can't problem is still present.

If you can see other machines, on one create Homegroup. Type Homegroup into Cortana, click Homegroup, in window that opens click "Create".

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Homegroup misery

1. Homegroup misery - Similar Threads - Homegroup misery

2. I have installed the HomeGroup since Win7 up to now on win11. I need to recover the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have installed the HomeGroup since Win7 up to now on win11. I need to recover the...: I have installed the HomeGroup since Win7 up to now on win11. I need to recover the password however, when accessing network thru control panel no icon for homegroup to click...
  3. I have installed the HomeGroup since Win7 up to now on win11. I need to recover the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have installed the HomeGroup since Win7 up to now on win11. I need to recover the...: I have installed the HomeGroup since Win7 up to now on win11. I need to recover the password however, when accessing network thru control panel no icon for homegroup to click...
  4. Prevent file from Deleteion in homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Prevent file from Deleteion in homegroup: I am using windows 10 and shared some importartent folder in homegroup my files getting deleted accidentaly without any warning to confirm delete and i am not able to find in recyle bin also.I tried to create advance permission to protect a file from deletion, go to Security...
  5. Prevent file from Deleteion in homegroup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent file from Deleteion in homegroup: I am using windows 10 and shared some importartent folder in homegroup my files getting deleted accidentaly without any warning to confirm delete and i am not able to find in recyle bin also.I tried to create advance permission to protect a file from deletion, go to Security...
  6. Prevent file from Deleteion in homegroup

7. Homegroup in Windows 7, desktop with libraries does not appear on the other devices, unable...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Homegroup in Windows 7, desktop with libraries does not appear on the other devices, unable...: I get an error code, 2147500037 when searching for the solution to the Homegroup not working as designed. It worked fine for years and then stopped a few weeks ago. The computers work fine, but there is no access to the libraries of files videos and photos on the main...
  8. Homegroup in Windows 7, desktop with libraries does not appear on the other devices, unable...

Homegroup in Windows 7, desktop with libraries does not appear on the other devices, unable...: I get an error code, 2147500037 when searching for the solution to the Homegroup not working as designed. It worked fine for years and then stopped a few weeks ago. The computers work fine, but there is no access to the libraries of files videos and photos on the main...
  9. Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to...: Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to set up. Why can't they leave things alone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-which-clever-removed-homegroup-from-windows/ac586533-2cc7-4dad-ba7b-6d2987cc2241
  10. Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to...

Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to...: Please which clever *&^%$£!£&! removed HomeGroup from Windows 10? It worked and was easy to set up. Why can't they leave things alone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-which-clever-removed-homegroup-from-windows/ac586533-2cc7-4dad-ba7b-6d2987cc2241