Windows 10: Homegroup/Networking Problems

Discus and support Homegroup/Networking Problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I adopted the Windows 10 preview back before July, did a fresh install and had it working with another PC here at home which was Windows 7 Ultimate x... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aeternal, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Aeternal Win User

Homegroup/Networking Problems

I adopted the Windows 10 preview back before July, did a fresh install and had it working with another PC here at home which was Windows 7 Ultimate x 64. The homegroup worked fine between the two... but after I upgraded the Windows 7 machine, it stopped working. I used the built in July upgrade to Windows 10 Pro on the Windows 7 machine. Nothing else is wrong on either machine except the inability to connect to a homegroup network for the two of them.

Sometimes, I can go to the previous Windows 7 machine and in the past, before I messed with more options, it prompted me to enter network credentials, which I entered that machines main user account (also a admin account - yea, yea, I know... don't use an....) and it would connect to my machine, but only the public folders... which is fine, but I can't get it to do it on a regular and repeatable basis...

So, I checked my permissions... the account I am using, not the account I setup my windows 10 pro (not the previous windows 7 machine) and it didn't have the 'users' account group included... so I included it. I have dropped both firewalls (software) and tried it... in different ways and configurations... one creating the homegroup on one machine, then canceling and trying the other machine.

So, I worked IT for a top 50 corp... this has me scratching my head. I found this forum and decided to ask in conjunction with this thread... I think they are really related. In fact, my gut says it might be some sort of pathing issue left over from Windows 7 machines to Windows 10 Pro upgrades specifically ON the Windows 7 Ultimate UPGRADE built-into Windows 7, the one that prompted you incessantly to use it.. See, I can get it to connect, on rare occasion to my machine (the one that was a preview build until they rolled out the upgrade in July to everyone) from the Upgraded (built in) Windows 7 machine, but like I said... its non-repeatable now. And yes, the password-sharing requiring credentials was OFF. Somethings up!

Is there an SYS, BAT or some text file that might have this in it, some networking text file that I can edit... or is it buried in the registry somewhere? Is there a Microsoft utility that might CLEAR out the networking, a fix of sorts that was either for previous versions or now for 10 that one of you VIPs and such know about? Or anyone for that matter who knows about it?

Heh... is there a Windows 10 product that simplifies Networking and can fix networking by using the demo? Just to 'clear it out' pragmatically and programatically, knowing that some smart person knows where ALL of the possible places to config networking would be and OVERWRITE what is there. Yeah, I know... I am being a little sneaky, but if I LIKE the program... I might buy it... so suggest away! *Zip

I am thinking I am going to try to use the Insider Build that is most recent... and try something that way if I get a no show on ideas and promising fixes coming from you guys/gals. The insider build MIGHT make things right, magically somehow, based not on fixes, although that might be the solution... but instead on programatically going through whatever they are using for a BAT file or console BAT file and going down the list until it sets something correctly.

Thanks in Advance! *Confused

P.S. Editing: Yes, I can all the time see both computers on both computers in the file explorer under 'Networks' on the left hand side. Just thought I would add that... sorry it was after the fact.

:)

Aeternal, Oct 30, 2015

2. Trying to JOIN an existing homegroup; not create one...

Thanks, but I've already tried the Homegroup Troubleshooter as well as the Network Troubleshooter. Both come back with "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."

Also, when I go to Control Panel/Network and Internet/HomeGroup it says "There is currently no homegroup on the network" which, of course, there is as the other two laptops are in a homegroup on the network.

CustomStrat, Oct 30, 2015
  3. 1st time trying to setup a homegroup using Windows 10

In the control Panel>Network and Internet>Homegroup I get a message "This computer can't connect to a homegroup. Underneath that the text in a window is HomeGroup is not ready yet. Please try again in a few minutes. If this message continues to appear,
    click to start the HomeGroup troubleshooter. After clicking start the next window the Troubleshoot network problems window pops up. Under that the text is- Some HomeGroup problems are network -related. We recommend that you troubleshoot network problems before
    continuing. Tried that and couldn't find any problems. The only thing that I could think of is that I didn't set it up when first upgrading to Win 10.

CarmineLoschiavo, Oct 30, 2015
Thema:

Homegroup/Networking Problems

1. Homegroup/Networking Problems - Similar Threads - Homegroup Networking Problems

2. Homegroup problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Homegroup problems: Respected, I have some issues with the homegroup. My computer is the main one and i created the homegroup. I have bought a new computer and when i wanted to connect with my homegroup, it is written that windows online troubleshooting service is disabled. So i cannot add...
  3. Windows 10 - Networking (Homegroup)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Networking (Homegroup): I have four devices: 1.) Desktop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17134.228 2.) Black Laptop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17134.228 3.) Red Laptop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17134.228 4.) White Laptop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17723.1000 Modem is dual band 2.5Ghz...
  4. HomeGroup problem

HomeGroup problem: hi all. this is my first post so be gentle please....*Smile My Problem:- When I turn on my pc the first screen that shows up is the stock windows 10 screen....... however, there is a box with 'HomeUserGroup$' and a request for a password (This is to get to my personal...
  5. Networking issue (Homegroup etc)

Networking issue (Homegroup etc): Hi, I have been trying to setup a network between 2 Windows 10 computers. I have tried the homegroup route but receive an error. I have turned off firewalls, AV Protection, etc. I have tried just sharing the folders out over network but cannot do it. I am stumped. I need...
  6. Homegroup and Network Sharing problem after motherboard upgrade.

Homegroup and Network Sharing problem after motherboard upgrade.: Hi guys, I replaced my motherboard a couple of days ago and didn't go the route of doing a fresh install as is always suggested but everything is working fine except the Homegroup and Network sharing. Beforehand everything was sharing OK but now PC 1 can only see the...
  7. Homegroup Problems - Again!!

Homegroup Problems - Again!!: My frustrations with Windows 10 homegroup issues are haunting me once again. After the latest (#1511) update, my 4-PC homegroup is once again not working. First, one of the PCs could not access the others. My next steps were as follows: 1, One by one, each PC left the...
  8. More Homegroup Problems

More Homegroup Problems: Hi... I created a home group on my desktop while I had windows 7 installed... (I can not remember the password) Now after Upgrading to Windows 10 I can't access it... not from 1 of the PC's that were on this homegoup... none of us are on the homegroup, thus this...
  9. Homegroup Problems - Help

Homegroup Problems - Help: I've updated two of four PCs from Win 7 home premium to Win 10. The Win 10 PCs can see each other on the network, are not able to access each other. Attempts to access results in an error message that reads to recheck the name of the device or check with the network...
  10. Problem with homegroup

Problem with homegroup: I recently installed win 10 on all our home computers 2 laptops and 4 desktops. before win 10 we had a homegroup and were sharing printers etc now the homegroups seem to have gotten totally messed up with the install of win 10. Three of our computers are win 10 home and 3 are...