Windows 10: HOMEGROUP NIGHTMARE IN WIN 10 phantom ghost messing up all networking

Discus and support HOMEGROUP NIGHTMARE IN WIN 10 phantom ghost messing up all networking in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; who cares about all the "bells and whistles" if our computers cannot do BASIC networking of our home computers (desktops and laptops) to share files?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by geekgirl, Nov 17, 2015.

1. geekgirl Win User

HOMEGROUP NIGHTMARE IN WIN 10 phantom ghost messing up all networking

who cares about all the "bells and whistles" if our computers cannot do BASIC networking of our home computers (desktops and laptops) to share files? the HOMEGROUP is abominable. old phantom homegroups, started from a computer which has been wiped clean for install to 8.1 or win 10 are ghosts which NEVER DISAPPEAR. no other computer on network can either "join" or "leave" without the phantom running (which of course is impossible as the computer name no longer exists)

no other computer is able to "leave" either. nothing but error messages. impossible to set up a new "homegroup"

MS has completely ABANDONED any effort to FIX THIS TERRIBLE MONSTER of "HOMEGROUP" it created which is an
    absolute DISASTER. MS needs to STOP working on useless "bells and whistles" and GO BACK TO FIXING THE ABSOLUTE BASICS of what USERS want. a NETWORK WHICH FUNCTIONS (like it did in XP and Win 7) where you could SEE every computer on your network, every day, and transfer files flawlessly.

:)

geekgirl, Nov 17, 2015

2. Can’t join or remove homegroup

The PC/user who created a homegroup is not available nor is the password. How do i remove this homegroup and it’s ghost from the other PCs? None of them ever joined it but it’s ghost prevents any new homegroups. All running Win 10 latest update.

Shady Brady Hat, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - Homegroup

Hi I am having Win 10 on 1pc win7 on 2 other pc.. I created a homegroup on pc with win 7 and a printer attached through usb port. I was able to use this printer from all these pc . Now I tried to access this pc from my win 10 but i learnt from help from
    google that all pc must have same win or I need to convert from private to work network as well I need to name all pcs same ... I did but still could not access one pc from another.. I tried to revert back by renaming computers to original names .

Now the issue is --there is a ghost homegroup showing as created by win 10 pc which actually does not allow any change or even does not allow other pc to create a new homegroup... my printer is now not shared ... i tried lot of things but failed.. how can
    i get rid of these ghost homegroup so that I can start over again to create a homegroup on my win 7 pc to share printer connected to it.

ASHWANI KUMAR JALEWA, Nov 17, 2015
  4. Bumpkin Win User

I feel your pain!

After letting this big November update install on three computers Homegroup and networking is totally messed up.

After the updates I assumed Homegroup was working, but it is kaput. Even the computer that created the Homegroup is stuck on Verifying Password. What happened to the options to change the password or leave the Homegroup as W7 has. Strange thing is if you do a search in W10 using "change Homegroup password" it shows all the options available in W7, but they don't link to anything.

Setting up networking has been a struggle also. I have been working on and off for three days and today all the machines see each other and can share files. The settings for a private network were the same on all machines but the only one with a local account was the only on that showed any networking when this mess started. It's working now but I have no idea why.

Rant over... Drew

Bumpkin, Nov 17, 2015
  5. geekgirl Win User
    for users who lost their network (or even the ability to see their own public folders on their own computer) these are the "services" which affect networking and homegroup; for some unknown reason the new 10586 build is not triggering certain services related to NW and HG from "starting" could be firewall. you can "turn off" firewal when you shut down computer. restart and maybe it stops blocking needed services from starting; then after you see your computers in NW folder, turn it back on for protection. also you could edit any one of the following services to o "automatic" to see if that helps. once you see the network you could try editing back to "manual" to conserve resources until you stop seeing you computers in NW (then you know that service is not "triggered" and is the problem)
    the following services affect NW and HG get to them by hitting windows key+R (type "services.msc" and hit return) invokes services.

any one of the below items could cause inability to proper functioning of your network, homegroup, or logging on to work servers

BITS
    BTIS
    COM+sys appl.
    computer browser
    DHCP
    DNS
    Home Group Listener
    Home Group Provider
    Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper
    Netlogon
    Network Connected Services Auto-Setup
    Network Connections
    Network Connectivity Asst
    Network List Svs
    Network Location Awareness
    Network Setup Svs
    Network Store Interface Svs
    Peer Name Resolution Protocal
    Peer Networking Grouping
    peer Networking Identity Mgr
    Plug & Play (USB wireless network adaptors)
    REMOTE Desktop Config, Svs, Vs, User, RPC, RPC locator

DO NOT ENABLE REMOVE REGISTRY as this makes you vulnerable to attack if a remote user can edit your registry

Routing and Remote Access
    RPC Enpoint Mapper
    Secure Socket Tunneling
    SSDP Discovery
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    UPnP device host (make sure USB wireless adaptor does not stop functioning)
    Windows Connect Now (wireless WPS setups)
    Workstations (for remote servers using SMB protocol
    WLAN autoconfig

choices are disabled, manual, automatic (uses resources)

good luck. if anyone figures out the "fix" for all the corruption of network and homegroup in build 10586 please POST

I love all the new features in 10586 and how fast and easy it is to use but the new build is absolutely USELESS if user cannot have BASIC NETWORK & Homegroup which worked flawlessly in XP, Win 7 and Win 8.1 you will have to roll back to 10240 if you need Network
    (very few users use a home computer as a stand alone machine)

BITS
    BTIS
    COM+sys appl.
    computer browser
    DHCP
    DNS
    Home Group Listener
    Home Group Provider
    Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper
    Netlogon
    Network Connected Debvices Auto-Setup
    Network Connections
    Network Connectivity Asst
    Network List Svs
    Network Location Awareness
    Network Setup Svs
    Network Store Interface Svs
    Peer Name Resolution Protocal
    Peer Networking Grouping
    peer Networking Identity Mgr
    Plug & Play (USB wireless network adaptors)
    REMOTE Desktop Config, Svs, Vs, User, RPC, RPC locator
    DO NOT ENABLE REMOVE REGISTRY as this makes you vulneable to attack

Routing and Remot Access
    RPC Enpoint Mapper
    Secure Socket Tunnelling
    SSDP Discovery
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    UPnP device host (make sure USB wireless adaptor does not stop functioning)
    Windows Connect Now (wireless WPS setups)
    Workstations (for remote servers using SMB protocol
    WLAN autoconfig

geekgirl, Nov 17, 2015
  6. altae Win User
    Well don't use the homegroup feature. Without a homegroup networking works the way it did in the good old Windows XP days *Wink

altae, Nov 18, 2015
  7. geekgirl Win User
    I tried not using homegroup by disabling all homegroup services in services. msc; however, it did not cure the network
    corruption. still could not "see" my own public files on my own computer in the network folder. could not access them!
    I had to roll back to 10240 in order to access any file in my "public" folder which was 90% of my files as I share them
    over our home network. only confidential files are kept in "documents" folder which is not shared anywhere.

geekgirl, Nov 18, 2015
  8. altae Win User

Ok, but now you've hopefully left the homegroup with all pcs and switched to standard networking? I have not trusted the homegroup feature since it's introduction. It's one of the simplified features that scream for troubles by their very description. What's more it's incompatible to anything not Microsoft.

altae, Nov 18, 2015
  9. fjk61011 Win User
    OK, I've managed to get networking working on my PC and 3 VMs in Hyper-V. And Homegroups!

I have yet to solve problem of networking to my wife's physical PC.

I'll report back with my progress.

fjk61011, Nov 18, 2015
  10. famensis Win User
    KB3118754 - has anybody tried this to resolve?

famensis, Nov 18, 2015
  11. geekgirl Win User
    KB311874 is the patch the updates 10586.3 to 10586.11 which is what we already have on our machines as the SECOND upgrade (after the first rollback 10 10240) WAS 10586.11 (which included the patch) when you do upgrade it checks for "updates" before downloading the new clean 3 gig version to install which the incorporates the most recent patch into the version downloaded to install.

you can check which version you have by hitting windows+return to invoke the command dialogue box, then type WINVER (hit return)
    it will post exactly what version you have installed. in our case it returned 10586.11 so the one we downloaded and installed had KB3118754 incorporated into it (otherwise, we would have seen 10585.3 after the WINVER command)

REMINDER: always invoke the settings menu, then POWER and change "monitor turnoff" and "computer sleep/turnoff" to NEVER before downloading the 3 gig install, because if not during the process if your computer goes to sleep or turns off the process is CORRUPTED

geekgirl, Nov 18, 2015
  12. vram Win User
    You would think the OS would be aware of itself performing a major operation and suspend power management features until complete.

* Allowing the monitor to turn off is harmless, btw. *

13. geekgirl Win User

it does not. mine hung at 39% installation for hours (no movement or sounds) I had to turn off the computer, then turn on;
    it "rolled back" to 10240 automatically and I received an error message "failed to update" because your computer turned off or went to sleep. on my computer it the monitor goes to sleep it would eventually trigger the computer to go into sleep mode, then off.
    after I turned both to NEVER, i had to download all over again (3 gigs) then do upgrade. it finally worked. however NO NETWORK
    I could not even see my own computer, or my husband, but saw only ONE old computer on the network; nothing else.
    I invoked network troubleshooter which spun round and round and then showed error message "winsock files corrupted"
    NIGHTMARE> I had to roll back a SECOND time to 10240 and my network was back, but no HOMEGROUP that was deleted forever!

there is NOTHING IN HOMEGROUP! yet no other computer can join, leave, or "start a new homegroup" an absolute DISASTER.

It keeps asking us to "join" the old ghost HOMEGROUP started two years ago on an old computer not even working any longer, using the name of the ghost computer insisting we join it. when I put that old password in to try to "join" it get only error message. like it wants that old computer to be 'running" in order to join which is a physical impossibility. I think I will stick with 10240 for a few weeks until MS decides to FIX the NETWORKING corruption in 10586, as users will just roll back as soon as they realize they have no more network!

geekgirl, Nov 20, 2015
  14. vram Win User
    @geekgirl

Regarding your PC shutting down during updates, check your BIOS settings. There maybe a system board level power management setting causing your PC to sleep/shutdown. I've seen some Dells do this and its been BIOS related. None of my PCs have shutdown on me during an update/upgrade once the updates have begun installing.

15. geekgirl Win User
    it is a DELL precision 1500. it is easy to just set it to NEVER go off; then after the upgrade I put it back to 2 hours.

geekgirl, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HOMEGROUP NIGHTMARE IN WIN 10 phantom ghost messing up all networking - Similar Threads - HOMEGROUP NIGHTMARE phantom

2. Networking Nightmares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Networking Nightmares: I am soooo annoyed with the changes to windows and especially the loss of Homegroup function...I have not been able to get my home network computers to talk to each other properly for a long time.When searching I can find them, although not always in Network but the sharing...
  3. Networking Nightmares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Networking Nightmares: I am soooo annoyed with the changes to windows and especially the loss of Homegroup function...I have not been able to get my home network computers to talk to each other properly for a long time.When searching I can find them, although not always in Network but the sharing...
  4. Networking Nightmares

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. phantom networks

phantom networks: I have been getting phantom networks appearing such as douglas and another named full_biscuit what can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/phantom-networks/b3845944-ef49-4176-9e39-0457ea3175fc
  6. phantom (ghost)" touch

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    phantom (ghost)" touch: phantom (ghost)" touch input on the left side of my Aspire R14 R5-471T laptop screen. This input disrupt running applications and interfere with ability to use the device. Tried most online fix to no avail. Plse help...
  7. Windows 10 - Networking (Homegroup)

Windows 10 - Networking (Homegroup): I have four devices: 1.) Desktop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17134.228 2.) Black Laptop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17134.228 3.) Red Laptop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17134.228 4.) White Laptop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17723.1000 Modem is dual band 2.5Ghz...
  8. Phantom/Ghost icons on the taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Phantom/Ghost icons on the taskbar: Hello everybody, I am having an issue with Mozilla Thunderbird. During installation on Windows 10, I chose to pin it to the taskbar. Today, I tried to unpin Thunderbird from the taskbar; unfortunately this resulted in a phantom/ghost icon. I can move its position on the...
  9. phantom homegroup

phantom homegroup: the last time I upgraded to 1703 on my desktop I had an issue with homegroups. It said I could join a homegroup that was created by myself on my desktop. I reverted to 1607. So MS sort of forced the issue months later - like last night - and I let it update. Same problem....
  10. Windows creator update messed up my homegroup and network

Windows creator update messed up my homegroup and network: hi, I believe my network was messed up by installing Windows 10 creator update. Now, I am running Windows 10 fall creator, but unfortunately the problem remains. I have a small network consisting of of a single desktop and a single laptop both running Windows 10 fall...