Windows 10: Homegroup removed in RS4, what workaround can I use?

Discus and support Homegroup removed in RS4, what workaround can I use? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; It seems as though the last few "updates" have broken Homegroup for me. I gave up a while back after it was repeatedly broken and simply created a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oldrock, Apr 5, 2018.

1. oldrock Win User

Homegroup removed in RS4, what workaround can I use?

It seems as though the last few "updates" have broken Homegroup for me. I gave up a while back after it was repeatedly broken and simply created a share on one of my NAS units where I copy everything I want to share on my network. Then I grab it from there. It is an extra step to copy it there but it hasn't failed me yet.

oldrock, Apr 5, 2018
  2. avada Win User

Hi!

Another dumb decision. The homegroup was a convenient way to share files, between many versions of windows.
    Now it's gone. You'd need accounts on all machines (unrealistic at home), and you'd need to log-in to all of them, manually.
    Of course you'd need to do this on every computer...

Anyway to re-add (re-enable?) the feature?

If that's (sadly) impossible, is there a convenient few-click program to take it's place? tHAT

:)

avada, Apr 19, 2018
  3. EZtouch95 Win User
    Strange thing is happen on my Documents Folder Security Permission on my Windows 10

I have the same problem, and many people with Windows 8, 8.1 also had this problem.

try this:

1) leave the homegroup

2) Edit the permissions, remove the "unknown account" if you see it, add your account instead with full permissions

3) Restart

Does the problem still happen?

Now if you return to the homegroup and restart the problem will come back, the workaround is.. stop using the homegroup? :/

Its a bug with the homegroup system.... Microsoft please fix it if you read

EZtouch95, Apr 19, 2018
  4. Homegroup removed in RS4, what workaround can I use?

windows keeps on asking for login info

I never created a password, all of the sudden I keep on getting other user. instead of login straight into my desktop. how can I remove that? it was a clean install of Windows RS4, just admin user account was created, I have done the netplwiz work around!

PedroHernandez2, Apr 19, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    It now reverts back to tried and tested workgroup which is enabled and can be as simple as HG

Samuria, Apr 19, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Homegroup has always been 'temperamental' at best, the tried and trusted Workgroup networking is solid and reliable.

For ease of access without needing accounts on all machines, open the' Network and Sharing Centre' and click 'Advanced sharing settings'. Now turn off 'Password protected sharing'. Security is now controlled by the permissions of the share as set by the machine doing the sharing. For a home network where security isn't a big issue, you could just grant the EVERYONE group full control.

7. Chucktin Win User
    I've never understood Homrgroup, nor seen a rationale for it.
    Hung a HDD my router thinking wifie (Mac only) and I could share files. Not, never could make Home group and HDD play nice. Not ready for Prime Time was my conclusion.

Chucktin, Apr 19, 2018
  8. avada Win User

Well, this is another issue. Having a shared password was both convenient and provided some security.
    Also it seems finding computers on the network now has issues: Network Computers are Not Visible in Windows 10 Version 1803

avada, Apr 19, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    1803 is an Insider build and not publically available yet. Not finding other computers on the network is often cured by turning on SMB1. An upgrade to a newer version (like 1703>1709 or 1709>1803) would have turned off SMB1 by default.

1803 still includes SMB1, should you need it (as I do) for accessing legacy servers such as a NAS.

NAS / Linux users and Spring update edition SMB1 settings changed

Tutorial: Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows

10. Barman58 Win User
    The demise of Homegroup is by design, but the issue caused by Wannacry is still causing issues. The "Advanced Networking" that is now , Again, the preferred method relies on the Old Computer Browser System from af far back as NT days, this in turn communicates over SMB1, If you do not want to re-enable the SMB1 protocol, (windows 10 + a decent antimalware should be safe), you can still access systems (with the network requirement met - Same Workgroup, File and printer sharing,Network discovery on, and some folders shared*Wink ), by using the \\Server\Folder or \\IP\Folder methods

Barman58, Apr 19, 2018
  11. avada Win User
    Okay. So which is the simplest and most similar method?

avada, Apr 19, 2018
  12. Barman58 Win User
    There is the older version as described in my above post - It's what we all used before Homegroup, and by many instead of Homegroup. There is a basic tutorial (offsite) here which should get you started. Each of the component parts are covered more fully in our own tutorials.

You would as you say need accounts on each machine and manually set share and File permissions, but with careful, (Creative?), setup there is no need to have the same user on every device - simply set the shares to everyone and if you wish turn off password authentication as proposed above

You you can use the Public "User" who's files are shared automatically with everyone

As this Workgroup networking has been in use for many years it's possible that you may be able to share with your wife's machine directly, but best to check with Mac documentation

Microsoft would prefer, (I believe), that you use their OneDrive system to share files, (but why use the internet to share a file to someone 20 Feet away *sarc )

Another method is a Bluetooth Network Which can really work well if you have Smartphones and tablets but is still not simple to set up

Additional - One other issue that affected the withdrawal of Homegroup was that it Relied on IPv6 which needed to be turned off in some markets as it caused issues with various system processes

Barman58, Apr 19, 2018
  13. Chucktin Win User

Thanks

Chucktin, Apr 19, 2018
  14. avada Win User
    Thanks, but I don't see how the link's relevant. It's a really basic tutorial about establishing LAN a connection.

avada, Apr 19, 2018
  15. Barman58 Win User
    Obviously, I gave a basic tutorial as I did not know your level of experience,

Basically there are three type of replacement for Homegroup

Workgroup network - As it's a basic SMB network running over TCP/IP should be accessible directly from Mac
    OneDrive or similar - OneDrive does include a method to access other devices but not certain if this is direct or via Web, Also have not got a clue if onedrive is supported on a MAC
    Bluetooth network - Needs all devices to have Bluetooth that supports Bluetooth network

Teamviewer is an out of the box fourth option, Its known for allowing remote control access to other Devices, Including remote assistance, but it also it includes file transfer and text and video coms between devices - Teamviewer is my suggestion if you do occasional sharing of files but could find a use for remote control of devices - Its available for most systems and is free for private use.

TeamViewer Mac Download for Remote Desktop access and collaboration

Barman58, Apr 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Homegroup removed in RS4, what workaround can I use? - Similar Threads - Homegroup removed RS4

2. What is this and how can I remove it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is this and how can I remove it?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Eriktion [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/uvu634/what_is_this_and_how_can_i_remove_it/
  3. homegroup is gone, what now ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    homegroup is gone, what now ?: 5 years ago homegroups make our LAN game party very fun, but now its gone. thats mean i can't play together with my friend anymore, any idea ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup-is-gone-what-now/55eeca9a-dfb9-4b65-900a-d2927d96c803"
  4. Homegroup missing.....what now??

Homegroup missing.....what now??: Hi from UK Just updated to latest 1809 ver. and noticed Homegroup missing! (Last time I used it was ayear ago...I should add) I have 2 PCs at home...and wish to read/write/transfer data between them....with full permission to do as I wish!! What are my options now...
  5. work around for removal of homegroup

work around for removal of homegroup: work around for removal of homegroup sharing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/work-around-for-removal-of-homegroup/215a2570-2ae5-4583-91a7-398c8ce0a994
  6. Homegroup For Minecraft Servers Or What?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Homegroup For Minecraft Servers Or What?: I have just heard that Homegroup is deprecated on Win10 now. So how should we set up our LANs to allow for Minecraft servers? 109541
  7. HomeGroup to be removed ?

HomeGroup to be removed ?: HomeGroup will be removed in the next feature update for Windows 10. After you install that update when it’s available, you won’t be able to share files and printers using HomeGroup. However, you can still do these things by using features that are built into Windows 10....
  8. Sharing using Homegroup

Sharing using Homegroup: Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this strange behaviour please? I am trying to share some folders from my laptop to my TV (Sony Bravia kdl-46EX700). The TV is connected to the network via a wire whilst the laptop is wifi. Selecting or deselecting Share with...
  9. Can I use "Homegroup"?

Can I use "Homegroup"?: Thats weird. Windows won't let me create a Homegroup now and i'm on v1709 latest build. It says "Windows can't create a Homegroup on this PC"
  10. What can I use instead of rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste?

in Windows 10 Support
    What can I use instead of rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste?: Is it absolutely necessary to use rubbing (isopropyl alcohol)? Can't I just use a wipe/napkin or something else? Is there any harm in just applying the new paste without removing the old one? 85954

Users found this page by searching for:

1. homegroup workaround

2. what can U use instaed of homegroup