Windows 10: HomeGroup thinking old machine is still hosting. How do i reset ?

Discus and support HomeGroup thinking old machine is still hosting. How do i reset ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Basically the way it works in my home, is i get the latest hardware and then i hand down my mobo, cpu, GPU to my kids each of which have their own... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by thedoc46, Jun 18, 2017.

1. thedoc46 Win User

HomeGroup thinking old machine is still hosting. How do i reset ?

Basically the way it works in my home, is i get the latest hardware and then i hand down my mobo, cpu, GPU to my kids each of which have their own gaming pc's and their own Microsoft accounts All running Win10... I'd like to have a homegroup running so that we can share video's among machines.

However when i go into HomeGroup on my new build (Win10 Creators Edition 64bit, clean install) its saying xxxx i7 2600k (machine name) is running the homegroup.

Except the i7 2600k isn't even running on the network anymore under that name. Its now associated with my son's Microsoft account.. I did run services.msc and made sure two services, HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider, on that machine, are both turned off. This machine would have been upgraded to Win10 from 7 a while back, then used my son's credentials on his own microsoft account.

Where is it pulling that xxxx i7 2600k is running the homegroup ? it must be being broadcast from somewhere, as its an old homegroup that's not been in use for a while now. How do i reset it. I do not have an option to delete or leave any homegroup on any machines.. Actually thinking about it, no homegroups have ever been setup on win10, only Win7, so that was a while back... I want to delete any pre-existing homegroup settings and start from scratch, but i can't seem to find an easy way to do it.

Bottom line, i want to delete anything that is preexisting, then create a new homegroup from my new i7 7700k machine.. but going into homegroup, it just tells me that there's an existing homegroup on my home network.

Any advice ?

:)

thedoc46, Jun 18, 2017

2. Windows 10 1607 update destroyed my homegroup

I tried your sugestion. I was able to delte and create a new homegroup on the non-host machine. The other machine (original Host) doesn't see that homegroup. I still get, "No other homegroup PCs are available right now" or on the same machine, different
    user " you have been invited to join a homegroup". In this later case, when I try to join the new homegroup with its pasword I get message that windows no longer detects a homegroup on the network.

Better yet, when I brought the (original host) machine on line the homegroup I just created on the other machine disappered and it was asking me to join a home group. When I take the (original host) machine off line the homegroup reappears.

LorenCarlson, Jun 18, 2017
  3. Windows 10 1607 update destroyed my homegroup

I tried your sugestion. I was able to delte and create a new homegroup on the non-host machine. The other machine (original Host) doesn't see that homegroup. I still get, "No other homegroup PCs are available right now" or on the same machine, different
    user " you have been invited to join a homegroup". In this later case, when I try to join the new homegroup with its pasword I get message that windows no longer detects a homegroup on the network.

Better yet, when I brought the (original host) machine on line the homegroup I just created on the other machine disappered and it was asking me to join a home group. When I take the (original host) machine off line the homegroup reappears.

After trying to setup the homegroup several times, one username on computer A (the non host computer of the new group) let me join. Then I had to change the sharing options for the other users to get them on, except my user name (admin rights) shows that
    I'm sharing in control panel, but computer A doesn't show in file explorer.

=Then Computer B (host of new group) was getting"a new home group was detected on your network... join now". I tried to troublerrejointhe home group which was created on this machine, "Unable to create a home group on this computer". I ran home group and
    network shooter (couldn't detect any problems). Then all four user names had home group access except my user name on computer A, that user name on computer B is accessible.

What is going on? How do I get the one user name accessible on both computers through the home group?

LorenCarlson, Jun 18, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

bro67, Jun 18, 2017
  5. thedoc46 Win User
    Unfortunately the tutorials are for basic leaving and joining with limited troubleshooting.

My path only extends to c:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming There's no PeerNetworking folder, and yes i have 'show hidden files' enabled.

Again it thinks there's a HomeGroup from an old machine. This machine is a clean install of Win10, so i don't know where its getting this info from ?

thedoc46, Jun 21, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    thedoc46, Give this a try.

1. Make sure all PC's have left the HomeGroup or are NOT joined to a HomeGroup
    2. Turn off all PC's
    3. Reboot PC that originally had HomeGroup and now has the phantom HomeGroup
    4. After reboot, you should be able to create a new HomeGroup on that PC replacing the phantom HomeGroup. Print or write down new HomeGroup password.
    5. Boot other PCs and attempt to join HomeGroup with new password.

Note: Make sure you use the ORIGINAL PC that had the HomeGroup ! (step 3)
    Note: Once you have fixed the phantom HomeGroup, you should be able to have all the PC's leave the HomeGroup, then create a new HomeGroup on the PC of your choice.

Eagle51, Jun 21, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    No the tutorials are not basic information. They have all that you need to know about what is stated in them, along with many posts that have gone over this exact same subject. Anything that is found that may be updated, will get put into those tutorials. They are there for a reason and that reason is first stop in helping those needing to fix something, instead of asking the same question that has been gone over and the answer is always to go through the tutorial for your problem first.

Also if it is Windows 7, there is the sister site sevenforums.com, which has the same tutorial.

bro67, Jun 21, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

That no longer works when you no longer have the Windows install when the original homegroup was created. You have to go through the proper steps in removing a machine from the home group when you no longer have the Master machine Windows install or machine.

bro67, Jun 21, 2017
  9. Eagle51 Win User
    My bad, I thought the machine in question (i7 2600k) was just upgraded from win 7 to win 10 and that procedure would work *Sad

Eagle51, Jun 21, 2017
  10. thedoc46 Win User
    It was ! I will give what you suggest a try tonight and let you all know how i get along.

Thx

thedoc46, Jun 21, 2017
  11. thedoc46 Win User
    I'm not sure we're reading the same tutorial. The one you linked has a small handful of posts, how to join and leave a homegroup, with one small snippet of troubleshooting. Nothing worthwhile on any real troubleshooting. So i don't really get your point? On the other hand Eagle51 has offered some good advice that i look forward trying this evening. Thank you.

thedoc46, Jun 22, 2017
  12. bro67 Win User
    That tutorial for Windows 10 has everything you need to know on how to fix your problem. It is not a bunch of basic posts. Go through and try the fixes, since they are a group of fixes that have been used by previous people when they ran into this problem.

bro67, Jun 22, 2017
  13. thedoc46 Win User

Great job Eagle51, this fixed my issue ! Owe you a beer my man ! *Smile

thedoc46, Jun 22, 2017
  14. thedoc46 Win User
    Rather than giving bad information, and trying to steer people away from actual advice that works, please try and be a little more constructive, for the help of others. There's no point being part of a forum, if all you're going to do is tell people off. No one really appreciates that sort of advice.

Anyway with all that said, and since there was apparently a thread, that didn't contain the fix, yet Eagle51 came up with the fix, I added it to that tutorial for you. Because being helpful is better than being not. Thanks and have a nice day. *Tongue

thedoc46, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HomeGroup thinking old machine is still hosting. How do i reset ? - Similar Threads - HomeGroup thinking old

2. Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.: Hello,I moved to another province Here in Canada two years ago, and I bought a new laptop. However, I didn't change my address Until today because I haven't been using it that much on the Microsoft website.I am trying to book an appointment for my mother and this site wants...
  3. Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.: Hello,I moved to another province Here in Canada two years ago, and I bought a new laptop. However, I didn't change my address Until today because I haven't been using it that much on the Microsoft website.I am trying to book an appointment for my mother and this site wants...
  4. How do I reset an old work computer?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I reset an old work computer?: My fiance's dad gave me a work laptop the company he used to work for years ago gave him to keep. But he doesn't know if he can reset the computer due to administrative restrictions so I've been using it on his work profile which I don't have a problem with but under their...
  5. Windows still thinks it’s on my old laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows still thinks it’s on my old laptop: I had a problem with my PC where I couldn’t install windows onto any of my hard drives because they didn’t match the format of my USB boot drive. So I did a clean install of windows on my laptop SSD, with WiFi disables so it wouldn’t download any laptop drivers, then I...
  6. How do I connect to an existing homegroup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I connect to an existing homegroup?: Moved from Windows 7 to a new Windows 10 laptop, but can't work out how to connect to our homegroup. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-connect-to-an-existing-homegroup/95abee85-b3be-46d8-8fe6-591e378edb64
  7. How to reset homegroup password

How to reset homegroup password: How do I reset my homegroup password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-homegroup-password/6031a9b6-2b24-49ed-9085-66827a358d1d
  8. Windows still thinks I have my old video card.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows still thinks I have my old video card.: Windows update still gets updates for my old XFX AMD card. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-still-thinks-i-have-my-old-video-card/84554497-701b-4e47-ad7b-e5f10d2c61d3
  9. How do you reset your homegroup password?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you reset your homegroup password?: How do you reset your homegroup password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-do-you-reset-your-homegroup-password/e165dc6b-5c15-4036-8c0e-701bea71a646
  10. machine can't be added to Homegroup

machine can't be added to Homegroup: I upgraded several workstations .. one from 8.1 and another on an HP laptop from win 7 , as well as a fresh install of win 10 on a third., all 64bit machines. After a lot of hassle I got the homegroup working on all but the machine that was on w7 earlier ... (It worked before...