Windows 10: Homegroup, was fine now unable to access any other PC or Laptop

Discus and support Homegroup, was fine now unable to access any other PC or Laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Had HomeGroup running fine until yesterday. My PC on Win10 could access our Laptop on Win 8.1 and the Laptop access my PC. Today both are 'unavailable'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Trapper, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Trapper Win User

Homegroup, was fine now unable to access any other PC or Laptop

Had HomeGroup running fine until yesterday. My PC on Win10 could access our Laptop on Win 8.1 and the Laptop access my PC. Today both are 'unavailable' to the other *Sad.
    I tried leaving the HomeGroup on both machines then created a new HG on My PC, opened up the Laptop only to find my option was not to JOIN the new HG but to create a new one, obviously the Laptop could not see the HG I had just set up on the PC. Tried it round the other way, creating a HG on the Laptop and attempted to join it on the PC but again was only given the option to create a new HG. Even typing in the same password to both machines did not help.
    I also found that my PC today could not access our printer but the Laptop could and could also print.

After around 5 hours of messing around I am at a loss to understand what has screwed up something that was fine yesterday*Mad and even more annoyed I cannot seem to fix it.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!!!

:)

Trapper, Oct 21, 2015

2. Homegroup says no other homegroup PCs available

I am running windows 10 on a PC and Homegroup was working fine until recently. When I click on the Homegroup icon it says "No other homegroup PCs are available at the moment"

I have a laptop also running windows 10 and that can connect to the homegroup and access my PC. Also if I go into Network on my PC I can access the laptop that way.

Frustrating to say the least.

Rustic Neil, Oct 21, 2015
  3. steve_535 Win User
    Windows 10 can't leave "invited" Homegroup

I was able to setup the Homegroup this way and now I have two of my computers on the same Homegroup, however while the laptop can see the desktop it can't access it through the network or the homegroup and/or find the attached printer. On the other hand
    the desktop can access the laptop through the Network but not through the homegroup. When I try to access it through the Homegroup folder it asked me to join a homegroup, which of course it won't allow me to do from this folder. Any other thoughts?

steve_535, Oct 21, 2015
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Don't know if this will work for you, but have you tried this...
    1) Turn off all computers and reboot the one that you wanted to set up the homegroup.
    2) After reboot, that computer will changed from "you are invited to join homegroup" to "create a homegroup"
    3) create a homegroup
    4) turn the other computer on one by one and join homegroup with password.

Just thought I would mention this, it was posted by another member in here.
    Mike...

OldMike65, Oct 21, 2015
  5. Trapper Win User
    Hi Mike.
    Thanks for the suggestion, it nearly worked.....
    Did as you suggested and shut down both machines, started up my PC and successfully created a new HG. Then opened up my Laptop and under networking found that I could join the HG created by my PC.

I clicked 'Join' then entered in the password, after a while watching the green line slider, I then received the message:

"Windows no longer detects a HomeGroup on this network. To create a new HomeGroup click OK then open HomeGroup in control panel"

So my Laptop could see my new HG and advised I could join it but was unable to do so.

So near yet so far.....*Sad

Trapper, Oct 21, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok Trapper, then you might want to read this post that is on windows 8 forum, made by topgundcp a while back. This method does not use homegroup at all!!! Actually shows you how to disable homegroup. This is the same method I use now, as I was sick of using homegroup. Both my computers work fine over my network, and both see my printer, I do have my printer plugged in to my router tho. That is the best way to connect your printer, IF your printer allows for that type of connection. Anyhow read this tutorial
    and then you can decide. here is the link......

http://www.eightforums.com/network-s...tml#post211075

OldMike65, Oct 21, 2015
  7. Trapper Win User
    Wow, that looks rather complicated, my printer is now printing that out (Yes, that seems to be working now*Smile) so will have a good look at it later, I have a Belkin adaptor not netgear so need to check out that variation.

As said, so near yet so far. HomeGroup has been fine for a couple of months so do not see why it should go wrong. Hopefully someone will be able to advise how to fix it without a major operation........

My thanks Mike for your help, as always, help on 7 & 10 forums has been quick and excellent.

Trapper, Oct 21, 2015
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Its just an option for you to consider, nothing more. I just got tried of using homegroup, and this works better for me. As far as changing your IP address's on your router, I did not change mine at all. I didn't do that step and everything runs fine. I don't use a laptop thou, both my babies are desktop computers. My netgear router does not change my IP address's its newer than the one in the tutorial, maybe that's why.... But lots of folks use homegroup in here, so hopefully someone will give you more options to try. Good luck!!!!
    Mike...

OldMike65, Oct 21, 2015
  9. Trapper Win User
    Still no luck, this is driving me insane.

I have setup a new Homegroup on my main PC 'Alans' on this PC I do not have any credentials set up, only a login password.
    On my wife's laptop I have tried to JOIN the homegroup set up my main PC, this fails as shown below.

However my PC can be seen in the laptops file explorer (All screenshots taken on the Laptop) but I cannot access the PC also as shown below. When I try to access my PC it would seem to do so, showing an Audio file (Which is on my PC) and a user file which does not contain anything other than a migration file (I think that was what is was called).

So this laptop cannot join the homegroup but can see a PC that is on the homegroup. At one point on the laptop I was asked to enter a username and password in a 'Windows Security' Popup Window, with the domain shown as this laptop, as the PC has neither username or password credentials this makes entering them impossible!

I hope someone can shed some light on a solution as my wife is giving me grief.
    Homegroup, was fine now unable to access any other PC or Laptop [​IMG]

Trapper, Oct 23, 2015
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok try turning off option 1 under public folder sharing to OFF than reboot both computers, same setting on both....than see what happens next.....I had mine off, when I use to use homegroup.

OldMike65, Oct 23, 2015
  11. Trapper Win User
    Thanks for the fast reply!
    Well one was off and one was on for public folder sharing, set both to OFF and rebooted, same error. Set both to ON rebooted, same error.
    Also tried disabling Bitdefender AV but made no difference.

Found these settings in Bitdefender Firewall, don't know if they relate to my problem or not....

Trapper, Oct 23, 2015
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Well I know nothing about bitdefender at all, so not much help with you on that firewall. If you haven't changed those settings since when your homegroup was working then most likely that it not affecting your homegroup.

Those settings have to be the same thou....and you just said one was off, and one was on......that could still be your problem, as they MUST be the same. Back to square one......set homegroup up all over again, turning lap top off after you leave homegroup, and same with your desktop, leave homegroup, reboot, start over.......said you were real close last time, follow same instructions as you did back then......and make sure settings are the same. leave lap top off.....after leaving HG.

OldMike65, Oct 23, 2015
  13. Trapper Win User

Hi Mike.
    I had done as you kindly suggested.

Quote from my post above:
    Settings for both machines are the same, HomeGroup was working fine then next day this problem raised its ugly head. I have even Repair installed my W10 64 Pro on my PC and that has made no difference.

One thing that really confuses me is if you enlarge the second screenshot showing my laptops file system my PC is shown under My Computer, and under networking and under Computers, two sub files of my PC are shown on the right panel with Audio 2010 and Users plus my printer. However the laptop cannot access the PC shown on the left panel *Confused*Confused. Either it can or it cannot. I am guessing that these actual references may be left overs from when Homegroup was working as it should??

Trapper, Oct 23, 2015
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Have you clicked on Advanced sharing, and looked at those settings??? So far the other settings were not the same, what about the settings under Advanced??? Check them out....post here.....

OldMike65, Oct 23, 2015
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Also on your firewall how about this setting on your laptop, I took this off another users reply, with almost same problem as yours.

"all good again now *Smile - only additional trick was firewall was no longer set as 'local' or 'trusted' on laptop"

OldMike65, Oct 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Homegroup, was fine now unable to access any other PC or Laptop - Similar Threads - Homegroup was fine

2. Ram problems but fine on other pc!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ram problems but fine on other pc!: Hi! I built my pc around 2 months ago and it started with bsod. Reassembled , reinstalled windows, updated and reinstalled drivers, tested gpu and hdd, replaced motherboard and..Bsod happens always when starting a game, during sfc scan and dism and sometimes random in chrome...
  3. Joining homegroup. My PC updated now can access Homegroup how to i fix this??

in Windows 10 Customization
    Joining homegroup. My PC updated now can access Homegroup how to i fix this??: Joining homegroup. My PC updated now can access Homegroup how to i fix this?? Can access shared printer or Files any more....
  4. Unable to access other profiles on laptop.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to access other profiles on laptop.: I have a Samsung laptop on which I had three profiles. (my own, my partners and my sons) While signing into my profile after startup I had an error about the login not being recognised and was signed into a temporary user that allowed me very little access and told me that...
  5. remote laptop is unable to print to laptop printeron homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remote laptop is unable to print to laptop printeron homegroup: Two laptops windows 10 home group network del printer with USB connection to one of laptops both have driver both recognize printer network is OK remote laptop is unable to print to printer 72825
  6. Joined Homegroup but cannot access other computers

Joined Homegroup but cannot access other computers: I have two laptops recently upgraded to Windows 10 (one was previously running 7, the other 8.1). I can connect both to a Homegroup, and they can access each other's files for a time, then (usually after one goes to sleep) they cannot access each other. The Homegroup is still...
  7. Problem connecting to other PC using Homegroup.

Problem connecting to other PC using Homegroup.: I have Windows 10 installed on my Laptop and I have connected it to my Desktop PC running Windows 7 using Homegroup. I have enabled Advanced Sharing but still I am unable to connect to my Desktop PC from Laptop. I am showing a video regarding this issue : j8K8fOcPEp4...
  8. Laptop unable to see/access other computers on network

Laptop unable to see/access other computers on network: I recently upgraded my upstairs desktop (formerly Windows 7) and my laptop (formerly Windows 8.1) to Windows 10. Since then I have spent hours and hours trying to get them visible to each other on my home private network (no homeGroup). I have a total of 3 computers on my...
  9. No homegroup access

No homegroup access: Hello I have set up home network behind a router. every basic operations as folders sharing work but when I try from Windows 10 machine to join homegroup created from another computer running Windows 8.1 the operation is unsuccessfull. The homegroup was firstly created on...
  10. Other PC's won't see my PC in homegroup

Other PC's won't see my PC in homegroup: Hi, I bump into some problem with Windows 10 with sharing folder in the same home network/workgroup. After I updated all home PC's on Windows 10, my is Pro others are Home versions, and I shared a specific folder, none of other PC's is able to see me or any other computer...