Windows 10: Homegroup where are details stored

Discus and support Homegroup where are details stored in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a network of small computers for different purposes some Win 7 some Win 10. In upgrading my older Win 7 machines I made a few mistakes and have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MacNala, Mar 7, 2016.

1. MacNala Win User

Homegroup where are details stored

I have a network of small computers for different purposes some Win 7 some Win 10.
    In upgrading my older Win 7 machines I made a few mistakes and have wiped a number of them. These older machines were all connecting to a homegroup for interchange of files.
    Now they are on Win 10 the homegroup settings are rubbish. To remove them from the current list f homegroups computers requires you to log them on and leave the homegroup. This is obviously not possible. There was in the initial release of Win 10 a method, by right clicking a machine, to be offered a drop down which included the option to remove the computer from the homegroup. Unfortunately this never worked.

What I am looking for is the location of the storage where these older computers are recorded so I can try to remove them manually. Is it in the Registry?

:)

MacNala, Mar 7, 2016
  2. blockup Win User

Where are OVI PC software contact details stored?

XP :smileysad:

blockup, Mar 7, 2016
  3. Where are OVI PC software contact details stored?

Depends upon what OS you are using .

In Win 7 its C/ Users /Named User / AppsData /Roaming/ Nokia/Content Copier

jje

jjegan---01, Mar 7, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Yes if you are using Home Group, you have to go into each machine and remove it from the Home Group. Windows 7 is not that old of an OS. Use RealVNC on the machines to allow you to go in from one and make the changes. If on the go, use Teamviewer.

bro67, Mar 7, 2016
  5. MacNala Win User
    I would have thought you would have understood what I said when I said I had wiped them.
    To be very clear
    Having setup a number of machines using a digital entitlement to install Win 10 and with no licence key applied they have been removed from the network. They no longer exist so I cannot go into them, they are not running, they cannot be started.
    So your solution is not workable.
    I have found registry key entries which appear to show these, now missing, machines I am looking for assistance in possibly modifying the registry to remove them from the Homegroup.
    I have more than four machines in the homegroup which do not exist.

MacNala, Mar 8, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    I do understand what you wanted, there is no easy solution, other then using RealVNC or Teamviewer and use one machine to access the others to wipe out the Homegroup settings.

This has nothing to do with installing Windows 10 for what you are wanting to do. Even if you upgrade to Windows 10, it will carry those settings over.

I know hoe Windows 10 installs. I have spent enough time behind the wheel that there is nothing to make this easier for what you are wanting to do.

There is a reason why those of us who are power users do not use Homegroup and Library sharing.

bro67, Mar 8, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    There is of course the fix that has been always around, which you can find through a search. Since you want to know what it is, it has been the same since Windows 7.

Solution 1 – Delete files from PeerNetworking folder
    Go to c:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking.
    Delete idstore.sst and move on to Step 3. If deleting idstore.sst doesn’t work, go back to c:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking and delete all files and folders in it and go back to Step 3.
    Go to the Network Settings and Leave the Homegroup.
    Repeat this for all the computers in your network.
    Turn off your computers.
    Turn on just one, and create a new Homegroup on it.
    This Homegroup should be recognized on all of your computers now.

bro67, Mar 8, 2016
  8. MacNala Win User

Thanks for the reminder of that method to clear out the Homegroup.
    I was amazed to find that the latest upgrade to Win10 14279.rs1_160229-1700 has restored the ability to remove a missing computer from the Homegroup. Shame however it still doesn't work.
    A fact I have fedback to MS.
    I also commented that on a working PC when you find a computer not available it also says
    "Make sure that the PC you're using and {computername} are both on and not asleep."
    How could the PC you are using NOT be on and NOT asleep?

For the sake of completeness your description of the steps of Solution 1 is missing the step numbering.
    Whatever your reasons for not using Homegroup and Library sharing are they are not relevant to my clients who look to me for advice as to when to switch to Win 10. My advice at the moment is "NOT YET".
    They make extensive use of the simple facilities provided by MS in the Homegroup in their Win 7 network.

MacNala, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Homegroup where are details stored - Similar Threads - Homegroup where are

2. Where are the details of automatically uninstalled updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where are the details of automatically uninstalled updates?: I awoke this morning to find that my PC was frozen. The screen was black, the fans were cranking; turning the monitor off and on had no effect, nor did anything with the keyboard or mouse. I rebooted the computer, and the BIOS performed a self-diagnosis, then allowed...
  3. Loss of Contact details in People App. Where arethey stored?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Loss of Contact details in People App. Where arethey stored?: The People App apparently deleted all my contacts (or failed to connect to the data file).I then re-entered all the data. Shortly afterwards most of the contacts disappeared from the App and I re-entered them again. No repetition of the problem so far. I later downloaded the...
  4. where is windows10 HomeGroup password

where is windows10 HomeGroup password: can not find windows10 HomeGroup password ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-windows10-homegroup-password/875555a8-6e47-4fd6-9ebd-b69ad72575a7
  5. Homegroup Windows 10 Where is it?

Homegroup Windows 10 Where is it?: For the life of me I cannot find the Homegroup in "Network" or anywhere. Why is this so difficult to find? All I want to do is share a picture for a new user that I just created so that hey can add that picture onto their profile when they sign in, I don't want to waste...
  6. Homegroup

Homegroup: My ability to use homegroup has disappeared in the 1803 versions of Win10. Why? What is being done about this? When? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup/2e78b13a-90d7-4791-87f7-d7539aa9c04d
  7. where is homegroup windows 10

where is homegroup windows 10: I can't see anything for homegroup - I need to either change or remove password so I can connect with new laptop - any ideas? Running Windows 10...
  8. Homegroups

Homegroups: It is high time to report my experiences with the W10 installation to you. Microsoft pushes all of us to do this before end of June. 1. Do a thorough backup of all your data. 2. If you use the attached file, and invoke it, it does the whole job by itself. You can go...
  9. Dude, Where's Your Homegroup (Missing after updates)

Dude, Where's Your Homegroup (Missing after updates): So my main PC is Windows 10 Home V1803, Build 17134.1 and the other (which is usually the same but hasn't caught up yet to the Insider Build) is currently at Windows 10 Home V1803, Build 17133.73. The two of them used to be networked without issue via Homegroup until my...
  10. HomeGrouping

HomeGrouping: Hi all...definately need you urgently In 10240 I could network to two other pcs in my home but not after the 1025 upgrade What' the trick please ?*Sad 19423