Windows 10: Horrible WIFI Signal Strength after installing Windows 10 PLEASE HELP

Discus and support Horrible WIFI Signal Strength after installing Windows 10 PLEASE HELP in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have just installed Windows 10 on my laptop Acer Aspire V5-552P-X440 and since then my WIFI signal strength has been terrible. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Windsor53, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Windsor53 Win User

Horrible WIFI Signal Strength after installing Windows 10 PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone,

I have just installed Windows 10 on my laptop Acer Aspire V5-552P-X440 and since then my WIFI signal strength has been terrible. I have a range of about 10ft in open space from the router before the signal is lost.

The adapter is an Atheros AR5BWB222 (Driver Version 3.0.2.182)
    Router used... Linksys E2500. (Multiple trials on different home networks. Same results.)

What I have tried so far.
    • Removed original Atheros driver, and let windows 10 install their latest.
    • Downloaded and installed latest drivers from Acer website.
    • Removed/uninstalled Bluetooth drivers (Read about possible conflict)
    • Disabled all VPN Services (Read about possible conflict)
    • Disabled Firewall and Security application. (AVG Internet Security)

Right now I am at a loss. I really don't like Windows 8.1 but might have to go back to this.
    Anyone have any ideas?

:)

Windsor53, Jan 29, 2016

2. Low wifi signal strength after Windows 10 update

i upgraded to windows 10 yesterday but after the update wifi signal strength has dropped significantly now i get only THREE bar and some times my wifi does not even detects my router . Before the upgrade to windows 10 i used to get full wifi signal.
    I suspect windows 10 is not fully compatible with my wifi adapter please help me out .......

I AM USING Realtek RTL8192EU Wireless LAN 802, 11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter

[Original title: Low wifi signal strength after windows 10 update]

ABDUL GHAFFAR KHAN, Jan 29, 2016
  3. Wifi signal weak due to a security update

Hi,

There is a problem with the wifi signals on my laptop running on windows 10. Till few days ago everything was working fine but after a routine windows update suddenly the wifi networks which were once having a very good signal strengths began to reduce and
    were not being displayed on the wifi search results.

I had to sit near the wifi router which I am using for internet to get the required signal strength. The reason I say this issue is caused by the windows security update (KB4022725) is because when I just restart my system for a few seconds all the available
    signals with full strength gets displayed. After that, I assume some program runs as apart of the windows security update and apply's some changes to block the signals back again.

I am unable to pinpoint which program it is. I tried to undo the install KB4022725 but it is not giving me the unstall option for this update. Please help me !!!!!!!!!

Thanks

AshleshKumar, Jan 29, 2016
  4. Horrible WIFI Signal Strength after installing Windows 10 PLEASE HELP

Change the channel to the one, which is the least crowded, use this tool to see, which ones are.

WifiInfoView - WiFi Scanner for Windows 7/8/Vista

Disable IPv6: Run CMD as admin and enter:

netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
    netsh int teredo set state disabled
    netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled undoonstop=disabled
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d "255" /f

TairikuOkami, Jan 29, 2016
  5. Windsor53 Win User
    Thanks TairikuOkami for the quick reply!

I will give this a try and follow up.

Windsor53, Jan 29, 2016
  6. Windsor53 Win User
    I followed the steps above and noticed an increase in WIFI range!
    I have to test again when I am home since my work is on a Mesh and it's hard NOT to get good signals.

One thing I am curious about is an additional wireless adapter. When performing an "ipconfig /all"
    I noticed the adapter called Microsoft wifi direct virtual adapter.
    In order to connect to the MAC filter, I had to add it's MAC address to my network along with the MAC for the Atheros adapter. Could this cause any issues?

Windsor53, Jan 29, 2016
  7. Windsor53 Win User
    Another separate question if you can help me on this too.
    Since the "Upgrade" to Windows 10, I have noticed that the NUM lock key is disables on startup. I tried to make the Registry key change on the InitialKeyboardIndicators to value of 2, as mentioned in numerous google searches.
    I though I had this fixed until I powered off the laptop. Is there a fix for this?

Thank you again for all your time and help!

Windsor53, Jan 29, 2016
  8. Windsor53 Win User

Okay, I tried the WIFI at home and the signal strength looks better in terms of detecting networks and having more "bars" however, if I am behind one door, 10ft away from the router the connection is lost.
    Open air (No walls) I can get about 40ft but with very low signal.

Any other ideas I can try to resolve this?

Windsor53, Jan 30, 2016
  9. Do you use 2,4 GHz or 20 MHz, because it has a better penetration than 5 GHz or 40 MHz.

TairikuOkami, Jan 30, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

This is also an easy graphical GUI to use

1) Disconnect from your Wifi network
    2) run the program called Vistumbler get it from here : Vistumbler - Downloads

You should get something like this:

Horrible WIFI Signal Strength after installing Windows 10  PLEASE HELP [​IMG]

Select channel least used - usually 1,6,11 are the most used, 13 is fine in USA that might not be an allowed channel, in Europe - it's OK.

Note though channel 13 might not also work on some Linux distros if you are using Wifi on a NAS / Linux server - switch to 1,6,or 11.

You could also try if your router permits going up into the 5MHZ band - make sure you have a computer to re-connect to your router if your wifi card can't manage the 5MHz wifi -- you can often in an emergency also logon with a mobile phone as their wifi is probably a lot more modern than typical computers and reset your router.

Ideally if you can get one of the new hi-speed ac protocal adapters then your wifi problems should be over - the latest usb3 wifi adapters can run at nearly LAN speed (internally).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 30, 2016
  11. Windsor53 Win User
    Thanks everyone for the help. No luck.
    I am just going to purchase a cheap USB WIFI adapter and call it good.

Windsor53, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Horrible WIFI Signal Strength after installing Windows 10 PLEASE HELP - Similar Threads - Horrible WIFI Signal

2. Realtek Wifi drops, Low Signal Strength Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Realtek Wifi drops, Low Signal Strength Windows 10: My wifi just keeps disconnecting time to time and it rarely even connects to any wifi. The Signal Strength is very low. My all devices can connects with wifi showing max signal strenght but windows can't why ?...
  3. Realtek Wifi drops, Low Signal Strength Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek Wifi drops, Low Signal Strength Windows 10: My wifi just keeps disconnecting time to time and it rarely even connects to any wifi. The Signal Strength is very low. My all devices can connects with wifi showing max signal strenght but windows can't why ?...
  4. Realtek Wifi drops, Low Signal Strength Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WiFi signal low after windows update, help please!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi signal low after windows update, help please!: Ever since I shut down & upgraded my laptop, I need to be in front of the router at all times to stay connected. Other devices don't experience the same thing and are at a completely fine state. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and upgraded my network adapter but nothing seems...
  6. wifi signal is on lowest and horrible

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    wifi signal is on lowest and horrible: my driver is Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz motherboard arouse x570 pro wifi windows 10 2004 wifi is horrible and disconnect a lot i tried updating driver from device manager it says windows has determined the you have the best.... i tired different config ipv4 i tried...
  7. Wifi signals strength is very low after the done windows 10 pro version 2004

Wifi signals strength is very low after the done windows 10 pro version 2004: Hello, Microsoft community I've done my windows 10 pro update now I have version 2004. After the updates my wifi signals are so week and sometimes drops. Older version in wifi are signals were so strong. Even i spoke some Microsoft advisors they were saying do these...
  8. Signal strength mystery

Signal strength mystery: A technical mystery. It starts with a coax line that carries both a Direct TV line and a cable modem line. With a standard coax spitter, the two signals are easily divided between a Direct TV receiver and a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem with no trouble. However, when I attach a...
  9. WiFi signal strength suddenly reduced.

WiFi signal strength suddenly reduced.: Hi. I am not any good with networking, so I am asking here. My WiFi router is placed at the first floor; and my entire home (two floors) was well served by it. For about a week, I was noticing that the WiFi signal strength is reducing in some rooms of the ground floor....
  10. Wifi keeps on losing signal strength

Wifi keeps on losing signal strength: So I Google Searched every possible solution and nothing really helped, I even went to the point going to the configure in Network Adapter Settings > Configure > Ticked off Allowed The Computer To Turn Off This Device To Save Power It worked For 15 minutes or so, then the...