Windows 10: Host FTP server on both

Discus and support Host FTP server on both in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am thinking of making a dedicated FTP server to access files from anywhere, but on one computer it would be important that it still has access to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by evantig, Apr 14, 2016.

1. evantig Win User

Host FTP server on both

I am thinking of making a dedicated FTP server to access files from anywhere, but on one computer it would be important that it still has access to the server, even when Internet connection is down. I know that I can connect the server PC to the PC that needs access with a crossover Ethernet cable, but is it possible to somehow have both the server and the other PC have access to the Internet at once? I read about a "bridged connection" but would I still have access to the server from somewhere else?

:)

evantig, Apr 14, 2016
  2. rufao Win User

ftp using nokia 6300 as modem on laptop

as seraphim and myself have mentioned, yes you can use your phone as a modem to update sites via ftp.

however, if you are unable to connect to the ftp server - this could be down to the host or the network.

rufao, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Windows 10 "Map Network Drive" for FTP server is not allowing the server to be mapped to a drive letter

Hi Ian,

FTP or File Transfer Protocol servers allow you to share or host data on your computer that might be too large to transfer through an email. To better assist you, we suggest that you post your concern on our

Technet.
    They can assist you with advanced troubleshooting about map network drive and FTP.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Apr 14, 2016
  4. evantig Win User

Host FTP server on both

Would it also be an option to connect a secondary router to the first one (one connected to Internet) so that all computers in the building could connect to the server? How would I do that?

evantig, Apr 14, 2016
  5. evantig Win User
    I somehow had no idea that you did not require an internet connection to access a server/web site hosted locally.

evantig, Apr 14, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

One way of doing this would be as follows.

1) The Server is connected via LAN to your main router
    2) set up another router in WIFI-->ETHERNET Bridge mode
    3) connect this Bridge router to your main router via Wireless --you could even use the 5GHZ protocol for this pupose evn if the computer that needs to access the server doesn't have 5GHZ wireless capability. The max Wifi speed (theoretical) is 433 Mib/s -- OK not 1 GB but easily good enough.
    4) connect a small piece of LAN cable from your PC to the Wifi bridge router.

5) If your PC (and some modern laptops don't have them any more as wifi can be FAST these days) doesn't have LAN connector use a USB-->LAN adaptor --really cheap.

Job done -- now even if the Internet is done you are still connected to the Server via LAN !!!.

You can also jury rig some old Routers to work in this mode - www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

Decent modern routers will have a WIFI-Ethernet Bridge option in their settings now - but older routers can be made to work (usually) by the above trick.

I've been using this for my NAS box as I can't store my NAS near the incoming cable box and Wifi on Linux is "Dodgy" so this trick works an absolute trick. !!! Linux (NAS server) thinks it's connected via Ethernet (LAN !!).

The router usually has 4 Ethernet ports so you could connect up to 4 computers this way.

Note even if Internet is down you should always be able to connect to LAN - even by Wifi.

The solution outlined above will ensure that your Server should actually always be accessible on your LAN whether or not Internet is available.

This solution for the PC that needs to access the server at all times is better than just relying on it's own wifi card - especially if it can't use the 5GHZ band. Transferring files over domestic grade wifi is usually SLOW and tedious -- of the order of a few Mib/s. That's why I prefer the Bridge method rather than rely on 100% wireless only.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Host FTP server on both

1. Host FTP server on both - Similar Threads - Host FTP server

2. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  3. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  4. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Help Hosting FTP Server

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help Hosting FTP Server: Hello guys i wanted to host an FTP server on my windows 10 laptop so that i can access my files on my android phone,can some one really help me doing that? I saw some videos on youtube it wasnt helpfull as they were connecting other windows 10 pc not a mobile phone. Thanks...
  6. FTP Server External Connections & More

FTP Server External Connections & More: Question 1: Connect Externally. How do I let other people outside of my network, a totally different IP, join my FTP server, and read and write on it? Question 2: Creating a user for an FTP server. Is there a way to create an account for an FTP server. Because whenever I...
  7. Windows Defender Firewall + Windows FTP Server

Windows Defender Firewall + Windows FTP Server: Why is windows defender firewall disobeying my firewall rules? Enabled Windows FTP Servers via Windows 10 Features. Rules are in the firewall allowing FTP access for both passive & control rules were injected through enabling the service. FTP packets are dropped by the...
  8. G6 FTP Server and Windows 1903

G6 FTP Server and Windows 1903: Since update 1903 the G6 FTP Server program no longer works in legacy mode (that is it can not send file list in CP1251 codepage) This used to work fine in all previous Win10 and earlier windows version. Now it is locked to UTF8 or something like that, and all Cyrillic file...
  9. Ftp server

Ftp server: Hello I was wondering if there is any app or a way that allow me to sharing files with computers that are not on my network. 112192
  10. Unable to connect to Windows FTP Server

Unable to connect to Windows FTP Server: Hi all. I'm hoping somebody can point in the right direction, or walk me through steps to troubleshoot this issue. I set up an FTP server on a windows 10 desktop using the built-in Windows FTP service capabilities. Everything was working fine. Today I attempted to...