Windows 10: Host has 2 LAN adapters - use BOTH when running a VM without a switch

Discus and support Host has 2 LAN adapters - use BOTH when running a VM without a switch in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there You can get hugely better throughput on a VM (network wise) if you have 2 LAN adapters / NIC's and use 1 for the HOST and 1 for the VM when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 5, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Host has 2 LAN adapters - use BOTH when running a VM without a switch

Hi there

You can get hugely better throughput on a VM (network wise) if you have 2 LAN adapters / NIC's and use 1 for the HOST and 1 for the VM when using VBOX or VMWARE. Set the VM to use BRIDGED networking (i.e it has its own IP address).

With HYPER-V you can set a switch so no probs - but users with VMware / VBOX can use both and avoid having to use a "Virtual network adapter" giving faster network throughput.

You'll also probably get better network browsing if you also set the DNS's is Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) rather than the standard ones you get from your ISP - if you don't like Google there are some other fast public DNS's around.

Cheers

Jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2017
  2. dscycler Win User

Windows 10 Hyper-v using 2 Nic ports

I am running Windows 10 with Hyper-v installed. I want to add a 2nd network adapter to the system in order to separate the hyper-v network traffic from the host network traffic. I disconnect all hyper-v vms from the current virtual switch that is set up
    allowing host access. I remove that hyper-v virtual switch. Then I add the new nic, restart and add a virtual switch (External) that is connected to the 2nd nic. I don't select the 'Allow management operating system to share this adapter'. Then click OK and
    the virtual switch is added.

The result is that my Win 10 host can still see the Internet and ping other systems on my lan but it cannot actually connect to shares on servers on my lan through Network or via existing mapped drives.

The only way I can get back complete network functionality is to use System Protection >> System Restore to go back in time prior to adding the virtual switch connected to the 2nd nic.

Windows server 2012 R2 has no issues with setting the host to use one lan port and a hyper-v virtual switch connecting to a different lan port.

Any ideas? A bug? Thanks...

dscycler, Feb 5, 2017
  3. Guji Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary update Hyper-V network sharing not working

Hi

I have been using Hyper-V on my laptop for some time now as a lab for testing purposes. I had created a number of virtual switches, 2 being external and 1 internal switch.

The external switches were connected to my wireless adapter and LAN adapter respectively. I also set these switches to Allow management OS to share this network adapter.

Prior to updating to the Anniversary update everything would work fine, I could power on the VM and share the network, being able to browse the internet from my laptop and the VM. However since the update to the Anniversary update the VM seems to take over
    the internet connection and I lose connection on my laptop (host machine). I have tried to recreate the virtual switches but this still does not help.

Please can someone assist me in trying to resolve this issue.

Guji, Feb 5, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

In Hyper-V you can use NIC Teaming:

Host has 2 LAN adapters  - use BOTH when running a VM without a switch [​IMG]

Kari, Feb 5, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @Kari

Thanks -- great tip --will try it a bit later

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2017
  6. sml156 Win User
    I actually do the same thing as Jimbo45 giving a real nic because my VM is on a separate subnet that I use as router for my other computers.

Basic setup:
    Internet >> Guest VM >> Wan side of TPlink router >> Lan side of router >> Host computer and 2 other computers

I have no use for Teaming the nic's in my setup, If one lan goes down in either the guest or the host having redundency would not help I would have to reboot the affected guest or host or TPlink to regain a connection to the internet.

Now if I could use teaming to get faster transfer speeds between my computers I would think about it but unfortunately that's not what it was designed for.

sml156, Feb 5, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    NIC teaming in Hyper-V adds to bandwidth / transfer speeds.

Kari, Feb 5, 2017
  8. sml156 Win User

I don't think that would help my 4 port 1 gig per port SOHO router get faster speeds.

Also even with a enterprise grade router it's not quite as simple as teaming 2 or more nics and your done

sml156, Feb 5, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    My comment was not to tell you that you personally can get better transfer speeds. OF course not, I do not know your network and how it's set up.

It was to correct the misleading comment of yours:

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Host has 2 LAN adapters - use BOTH when running a VM without a switch - Similar Threads - Host has LAN

2. Running both the users in background while using switch user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running both the users in background while using switch user: Whenever I log in from one account to the another on Microsoft Windows, the one which I'm not logged in automatically stops using multiple applications. How can I switch user while making sure that both the users have all the applications running in background....
  3. Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...: I have a VM running Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737 which has been operating okay with no problems at all for more than two years now.The host system where the Hyper-V Manager runs is also Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737, and this operates okay as...
  4. Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...

Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...: I have a VM running Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737 which has been operating okay with no problems at all for more than two years now.The host system where the Hyper-V Manager runs is also Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737, and this operates okay as...
  5. Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...: I have a VM running Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737 which operates okay with no problems at all for more than two years now.The host system where the Hyper-V Manager runs is also Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737, and this operates okay as well.Moreover, in both...
  6. Wi-Fi & Lan Adapter Switching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi & Lan Adapter Switching: Hello Everyone I'm facing an issue regarding my Wi-Fi and LAN Network adapter. My Wi-Fi adapter is automatically disabled when I plug in the LAN cable. So, How to disable the automatic Wi-Fi disconnect when I connect my LAN cable?I'm using Windows 11 Version.I did try:to...
  7. Wi-Fi & Lan Adapter Switching

Wi-Fi & Lan Adapter Switching: Hello Everyone I'm facing an issue regarding my Wi-Fi and LAN Network adapter. My Wi-Fi adapter is automatically disabled when I plug in the LAN cable. So, How to disable the automatic Wi-Fi disconnect when I connect my LAN cable?I'm using Windows 11 Version.I did try:to...
  8. Network adapter switches of lan connection after exactly 2 hours

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network adapter switches of lan connection after exactly 2 hours: Al the energy saving settings are turned off even the option of the adapter to switch of for saving energy is switched off. After restarting Windows the connection stays on for 2 hours and than gets lost again. reinstalling the adapter does not solve the problem. Windows...
  9. CU update as a VM - disable Monitor switch off - use HOST for this

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    CU update as a VM - disable Monitor switch off - use HOST for this: Hi there For people using the CU update as a VM - SWITCH OFF the setting Turn Monitor off -- I.e set it to NEVER and allow the HOST to control the main screen otherwise you'll have to login again with password - nuisance if running file sharing services etc The Host...
  10. Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host: What network adapter settings mean vms can communicate with each other but not with host? Thanks Vmware Workstation 10 69475