Windows 10: Host Process for Windows Services Stopped working

Discus and support Host Process for Windows Services Stopped working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi For quite some time now, on my main (primary) OS, which is Windows 10 Pro build 10586.218, I am getting this error: Host Process for Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Joanne, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Joanne Win User

Host Process for Windows Services Stopped working

Hi

For quite some time now, on my main (primary) OS, which is Windows 10 Pro build 10586.218, I am getting this error:

Host Process for Windows Services: Stopped working.

I see this in my Reliability History. It might appear even several times per day! I clean my Reliability History with CCleaner and all my Event Viewer logs with a command from a tutorial from this site. After a little while, after I will reboot a couple of times, the error appears again!

What is this and how can I fix it? Why am I getting it?

I am not posting any screenshots for the time being but I will, as well as anything else asked, if considered necessary.

Thank you.

:)

Joanne, Apr 22, 2016

2. Host process for windows services has stopped working

Could you try performing a repair upgrade?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

or

Press Windows key + R

Type: C:\Windows

Hit Enter

In the search box, type: onedrivesetup

Hit Enter

Double click OneDriveSetup then reinstall it.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 22, 2016
  3. KoNiNoSV2 Win User
    Host process for windows services has stopped working

I get this error message every time the computer is idle for a couple of minutes.

I have tried all of the solutions I found online (including cleaning the registry and checking system files) with no luck.

taskhostw.exe stops working due to faulting OneDriveSettingSyncProvider.dll

Event viewer:

Faulting application name: taskhostw.exe, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57899a8f

Faulting module name: OneDriveSettingSyncProvider.dll, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5ddf

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000004d55a

Faulting process id: 0x1920

Faulting application start time: 0x01d374131f29cc2d

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskhostw.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\OneDriveSettingSyncProvider.dll

Report Id: 59cf72f3-c055-4aa2-a0e0-f2bc704482ba

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I also tried disabling oneDrive completely through Group Policy Editor witch didnt fix the problem

KoNiNoSV2, Apr 22, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

That could be for a variety of services. Sometimes I'll get that error if I'm not connected to the internet and Windows Update isn't able to check for updates.

Since that process goes to all Windows services, it may be difficult to know which service may be failing for you.

lmaneke, Apr 22, 2016
  5. Joanne Win User
    Hello and thanks for your reply.

I've just checked my Reliability History and this error appeared four times today already! This morning I've cleared my Rel. History and now it's there four times already!

Here is a screenshot from the technical details. It is exactly the same in all four instances.

Host Process for Windows Services Stopped working [​IMG]

What is ESENT.dll?
    Why is it failing and how can I fix this?

Thank you.

Joanne, Apr 22, 2016
  6. lmaneke Win User
    That DLL file used to run with Windows Update on Windows Vista, 7, and 8/8.1. Not sure if it's still with Windows 10

Open an elevated command prompt.

Type sfc /scannow

This will check for system file corruptions

lmaneke, Apr 22, 2016
  7. Joanne Win User
    SFC /SCANNOW found corrupted files and successfully repaired them, as it claimed. Right afterwards I've cleared my Reliability History and my Event Viewer and rebooted. Immediately after rebooting the same error appeared!

The only thing that SFC "repaired" was the openCL.dll in my SysWoW64 folder by turning it into a 27kb file...
    Now I have to clean-install the NVIDIA driver again.

Is there anything else I can do about this?

My computer functions well; I do not get any crashes, glitches, problems or BSODs, and I get all the updates, too. It's just that this error appears many times in my Reliability History and I don't know why..

Joanne, Apr 22, 2016
  8. lmaneke Win User

Try this link.
    How to Fix

Sorry about the opencl issue. That is a common issue right now as Microsoft has their own file of opencl and NVIDIA has their own version, so when sfc scans it, it sees it as a different version and replaces it with the Microsoft version. *Sad I apologize.

This article relates to Windows Vista, but highly relevant.

lmaneke, Apr 22, 2016
  9. Joanne Win User
    Thanks for your help!

I have tried a few suggestions from that article without any success though. I do not have ATI, I've booted in Safe Mode and the error still appears (I've cleared my Rel. history and the Event Viewer before that).

This period I am also running the latest Insider build on my other SSD (dual boot). In the Insider preview this error does not appear, my history there is clean. It's true that on this primary OS I have applied a whole bunch of tweaks because I use it as my main OS and I wish to have FULL control. The Insider build I keep untouched besides a few suggestions from the well known "Sean's SSD Optimization guide for Win 8 / 8.1"

Both Operating Systems have been clean installed, in both the latest drivers (from station-drivers.com) for my system have been used.

Anyway.......
    No worries.

Soon the Anniversary Edition will come so a clean installation will be performed again. I will keep this error in mind and check it out at that point in time.

Thanks again *Smile

Joanne, Apr 22, 2016
  10. lmaneke Win User
    I'm getting the same error all the time too and Windows Update fails to work at times. So it's a new bug with the 10586.218 update.

lmaneke, Apr 23, 2016
  11. Joanne Win User
    Thanks a lot for this post of yours! For a moment I doubted myself in regard to my settings and the procedures I follow. Let's hope it will be fixed with a new update soon. My Windows Update by the way, works flawlessly but all I get is updates for Windows Defender - and some times, rarely, for Office 2016 Pro 32 bit, that I am using this period.

Joanne, Apr 23, 2016
  12. lmaneke Win User
    I had some Microsoft office updates and not all of them were downloading. It would download a couple and stop.had to restart my computer to get it to finish downloading. Never had that before.

I currently use office 2007

lmaneke, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Host Process for Windows Services Stopped working - Similar Threads - Host Process Services

2. "host process for windows services"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "host process for windows services": I recently just bought minecraft for my girlfriend but when she tries to download it she gets a message that says "host process for windows services" and it has two options: yes or no. However when she clicks yes nothing happens. Is there a fix for this? Any help is greatly...
  3. "host process for windows services"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "host process for windows services": I recently just bought minecraft for my girlfriend but when she tries to download it she gets a message that says "host process for windows services" and it has two options: yes or no. However when she clicks yes nothing happens. Is there a fix for this? Any help is greatly...
  4. Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working: everytime i start up my computer i get the error "Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working" i cant play games without it, is there any fix?...
  5. Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working: everytime i start up my computer i get the error "Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working" i cant play games without it, is there any fix?...
  6. Host process for windows Stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Host process for windows Stopped working: Twice this week, my computer has apparently has apparently had a runaway process. The drive light is on solid, and i may or may not get a response from the mouse depending on when I move it. Both times, i have just set the computer aside and waited for it to respond. The...
  7. Host Process for Windows services

in Windows 10 Customization
    Host Process for Windows services: It's really very annoying for me since I Host process for windows is using too much of my data since I limited data so it is causing trouble for me daily it uses at least 500 MB of data daily and also slows my Internet speed daily even if I only use my pc on metered...
  8. Host processes for Windows tasks - stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Host processes for Windows tasks - stopped working: Since the update on 6/20/19 (or there abouts) I have been getting the following error seen in Reliability Monitor. "Host process for windows tasks - stopped working" System appears to run fine yet the error occurs almost every other day. Here is the text associated with...
  9. Windows Processes: Service Host

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Processes: Service Host: Hello, I have noticed suspicious activity on my computer and I was wanting to know if there was a Service Host that allows people from the Microsoft Corporation to sign in to peoples computers. If this is so, may I ask what the Service Host is? Thanks!...
  10. Host Process for Windows Service stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Host Process for Windows Service stopped working: Have had this problem since updating to 1809, a fresh load of 1803 on 3/10/18! Description Faulting Application Path : c:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: svchost.exe_CDPUserSvc...