Windows 10: Hostname change causing serious issues

Discus and support Hostname change causing serious issues in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I just performed an elevated hostname change in Power Shell... After restarting the computer I noticed that my wireless network was down/not showing.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by nickeauxlus, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Hostname change causing serious issues

I just performed an elevated hostname change in Power Shell... After restarting the computer I noticed that my wireless network was down/not showing. Upon further investigation my issues are:

-> 80% of all my services were disabled

-> "The computer can't connect to a home group" error

-> No firewall access

-> No network

-> No system restore available even though I backed up pc a few days ago

Etc...

I am guessing that the hostname change threw my computer off and now it can't sync with any services?

I went into the services app, changed log on as, and enabled services to run again. Firewall is now working but I can't get home group, system recovery, or local network to work as well as many other features.

Is there a fix for this? Or do I have to reset my system?

Thanks for the help in advance.

...New to this world. Just passed my a+ and am working towards network +

:)

nickeauxlus, Aug 15, 2017

2. Hostname wrong

No, that didn't work. I already had renamed the published bluetooth name. That has no effect on the device's hostname.

In order to rename the device use the command

hostname <newhostname>

to permanently change the hostname change the file /etc/hostname and reboot.

to gain access to the file use the root command. To get the root command install the rootsh package.

theking2---01, Aug 15, 2017
  3. Hostname wrong

hostname, on a unix box, is absolutely local..

if I change the hostname on my workstation to wibblewobble no other machine on the network knows..

If I change the host identity on my DHCP client on my workstation other things might know..

I'm still not getting why you need to change the hostname..

What do you think won't work unless you don't do it?

cpitchford, Aug 15, 2017
Thema:

Hostname change causing serious issues

1. Hostname change causing serious issues - Similar Threads - Hostname change causing

2. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  3. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  4. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Explorer.exe causing serious lag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer.exe causing serious lag: So I've been dealing with this issue for YEARS! For some reason, explorer.exe is causing lag on my computer. I've read numerous other users having the same issue but nothing seems to come about to fix it. It simply causes everything to slow down, even though the CPU and RAM...
  6. update causes serious problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update causes serious problems: After an update yesterday nothing works normal -i can not open onedrive files - the EDGE browser crashes all the time -In the settings menu i can not choose anything, so i can not choose "recovery" - i can not send mails - some icons in the taskbar are disappeared,...
  7. Laptop HostName keeps changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop HostName keeps changing: We recently bought a new laptop, an Acer running Windows 10. For some reason, the HostName keeps changing slightly. It started out as a generic name in the format LAPTOP-XXXXX, but frequently modifies that to add a random number on the end, as in "LAPTOP-XXXXX-20" or...
  8. Serious performance issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Serious performance issues: Hey all. I need some help fixing some major performance issues. I'm running the 1909 version of windows and before the KB....799 update my laptop was running just fine but after it downloaded I couldn't run anything. I play guitar through programs on my laptop and they...
  9. Username change caused serious problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Username change caused serious problems: Hello Folks, I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems after a Username change. My daughter got a new Lenovo Ideapad 520 for her computation studies at university about a week ago, and this i7 Octacore with 16Gb RAM and Windows 10 is certainly fast, and has...
  10. Serious USB issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Serious USB issue: Okay, i have this sims gaming headphonehttps://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-S.../dp/B00LIW8I2Q the problem is my computer detects this headphone only once if i unplug and replug it shows me "usb device not recognized " and i have tried all solutions posted online but it just...