Windows 10: Hosts File Alias not working with File Share

Discus and support Hosts File Alias not working with File Share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can set an alias in the hosts file on a win7 machine and access it just fine but doing the same in Win10 prompts for creds that never work even when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Milas, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Milas Win User

Hosts File Alias not working with File Share

I can set an alias in the hosts file on a win7 machine and access it just fine but doing the same in Win10 prompts for creds that never work even when entered correctly.
    What did win10 change?

hosts file entry:
    127.0.0.1 hostname alias

\\ip - works fine
    \\hostname -works fine
    \\alias - Prompts for creds and creds don't work

I have gone to the extent of fully disabling UAC from reg, same outcome. Network and file sharing is set to password access and not homegroup. Simple file sharing is off.

Something to note. I always disable ipv6 form the adapter but when I ping my hostname it shows the ipv6 loopback. Why is that?
    When I ping the alias it returns 127.0.0.1 ipv4 loopback that was entered in the hostname.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

:)

Milas, Sep 26, 2015
  2. joerayner Win User

Secure file share with between host and hyper-v guest

I have a windows 10 host running hyper-v. I want to share the files that are on the host securely with a hyper-v vm without having to copy the files, i.e. the file share is on the host not the guest.

Current method is to set up a file share on the host and disable authentication for ALL file shares, this is so that I do not need to store the host account
    credential on the VM which would be a risk. I then set up a internal virtual switch in hyper-v and disable files sharing protocal on ALL other network interfaces on the host. I not sure this is secure but its defiantly not very elegant for such a seeming
    simple problem.

I can see it causeing problems in the future when we need another files share on the host for a differnet reason.

Is there a simpler, less invasive way to do this?

joerayner, Sep 26, 2015
  3. 7thSense Win User
    need to edit excel files in windows mobile 7.8

Could you upload a file that won't work to SkyDrive (or other hosting) and share a link?

7thSense, Sep 26, 2015
  4. JOS
    jos Win User

Are you running W10-pro or W10-home?
    Are you logged in W10 by PIN or user/password?

Thema:

1. Hosts File Alias not working with File Share - Similar Threads - Hosts File Alias

2. Host Computer can't share Quickbook files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Host Computer can't share Quickbook files.: Have Quickbook QB files stored on host computer sharing to one workstation. After upgrading to Windows 11, the host computer will no longer allow access to the QB files in the Documents folder. I have tried Geek Squad and QB tech support. No resolutions yet....
  3. Host Computer can't share Quickbook files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Host Computer can't share Quickbook files.: Have Quickbook QB files stored on host computer sharing to one workstation. After upgrading to Windows 11, the host computer will no longer allow access to the QB files in the Documents folder. I have tried Geek Squad and QB tech support. No resolutions yet....
  4. File-sharing not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File-sharing not working: So I have one windows 10 and windows 7 PC. Prior to a couple ago the two PCs were able to connect to each other but now the two can no longer connect to each other. PC1 - windows 10, PC2_ windows 7 I tried enabling the filesharing and set everything on but somehow PC1 cant...
  5. File-sharing not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File-sharing not working: So I have one windows 10 and windows 7 PC. Prior to a couple ago the two PCs were able to connect to each other but now the two can no longer connect to each other. PC1 - windows 10, PC2_ windows 7 I tried enabling the filesharing and set everything on but somehow PC1 cant...
  6. File/Network Sharing where host is on Ethernet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File/Network Sharing where host is on Ethernet: I'm having issues on accessing my PC connected to the router via ethernet cable. I've hosted a jellyfin app on my pc and wanted to connect to it from my phone via wifi. If I switch my pc's connection to wifi, there is no problem. Need help please. Network profile is in...
  7. Hosts File Not Working Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Hosts File Not Working Firefox: Hello again, My hosts file will only block sites in Edge, not in Firefox. Can't be right. Any ideas ? Windows 10 1909 Regards 159949
  8. Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working )

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working ): Hi I keep getting this symptom from time to time , it fixes with windows updates but then occasionally come back . I have a list of advertising and malware websites that I filter through hosts file that are often used by a chat client as per the chat client community...
  9. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file: should the Hosts file be made read only ? 51243
  10. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file: I am embarrassed that I forgot on change from Windows 7 to 10 I forgot until now to remember that only the sample Hosts file was installed. Now I cannot recall where the more comprehensive version came from or how to install it. Please advise me. 97081