Windows 10: Hosts file. Should it be set to read only?

Discus and support Hosts file. Should it be set to read only? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since using XP and then Windows 7 have always set the Hosts file to read only as a security measure. Is it still advisable to do this on Windows 10?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by equoox, Jan 25, 2016.

1. equoox Win User

Hosts file. Should it be set to read only?

Since using XP and then Windows 7 have always set the Hosts file to read only as a security measure.

Is it still advisable to do this on Windows 10?

:)

equoox, Jan 25, 2016

2. should my windows file be read only

My windows 10, should be 1709 edition, now reads "read only". Nobody has any permissions & I'm unable to upgrade permissions. How do I get out of this mess?!

CarolSheppard1, Jan 25, 2016
  3. should my windows file be read only

Hi Carol,

I found a link with a fix for this issue. It has mixed reviews on the comments, some had it working, some not, but it's worth a shot.

https://blog.switchfast.com/solved-windows-10-u...

Please let me know, and we'll go from there!

- C

Charlie Klausen, Jan 25, 2016
  4. sml156 Win User

I don't think it matters its pretty trivial for malware to change it back to read write if its needs to. Some virus scanners ( I think Malwarebytes pro ) make it read only.

I have been using a program called HostsMan for years and that seems to help with not only Malware but for adds too. There is a bit of a learning curve when you first start using it though, probably half hour of reading of how to use it properly.

sml156, Jan 25, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    By default the hosts file is owned by SYSTEM and you can only read. If you want to write to it you need to do so as administrator (for example notepad will not let you save your changes unless you run it as administrator).

So your malware couldn't do anything to it unless you clicked said "yes" to the "Allow this program to make changes to your PC" prompt that UAC gives you whenever a program tries to run as Administrator.

If you have UAC turned off or if you say "Yes" to that prompt then malware can do whatever it likes anyway (take ownership, change permissions etc) and making it read only wouldn't help at all.

I'd leave it as it is.

6. LMiller7 Win User
    The Read Only file attribute isn't a viable security measure. This is only an advisory that the file should not be written to. Windows Explorer and alternative file managers usually honor this advisory but it can be easily ignored. You can be sure that malicious software will simply ignore the setting.

LMiller7, Jan 25, 2016
  7. equoox Win User
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate that information. UAC is turned on for sure *Smile

equoox, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hosts file. Should it be set to read only? - Similar Threads - Hosts file Should

2. All my files are set to read only.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my files are set to read only.: All my files are read only and when i turn it off it just turns back on i have tried a variety of things to no avail i dont have any anti-viruses blocking it and to my knowledge i dont have any apps that are malicous can someone please help me :...
  3. All my files are set to read only.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All my files are set to read only.: All my files are read only and when i turn it off it just turns back on i have tried a variety of things to no avail i dont have any anti-viruses blocking it and to my knowledge i dont have any apps that are malicous can someone please help me :...
  4. Files are read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files are read only: All of my files are read only, including files on a data server. How do I change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-are-read-only/5a92e5a7-83d9-485b-8280-145b318ca06b
  5. Files are read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files are read only: All of my files are read only, including files on a data server. How do I change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-are-read-only/5a92e5a7-83d9-485b-8280-145b318ca06b
  6. Documents File Is Set To Read Only

Documents File Is Set To Read Only: For some reason, my documents file is set to read only, so any other files I put into it are then read only too, and the program I'm using can't change the files in the my documents folder. How do I fix this? My user account is set up as an administrator....
  7. Files are read only

Files are read only: When I open a file/folder properties they are read only. I have already tried turning off controlled folder access, and I failed to do that because it was never on in the first place. When I change the folder to not read only, it just reverts back to read only. Upon further...
  8. Read-Only Files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Read-Only Files: Hello there, I am running windows 10 64-bit system and i have 1 external hard drive partially partitioned as NTFS and the other Partition is EX-Fat to share files with my MAC. I also have my main drive which is the C drive and it holds the windows files etc. Anyways I...
  9. read only files

read only files: read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-files/e2f111ee-e6c7-426f-88d2-6421bfd62668"
  10. file read only

file read only: Hello, A folder is suddenly read only. I have tried changing it both as a user and administrator to no avail. Is there a procedure to correct this other than change the folder name? Thanks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what should my hosts file read

2. host file is set to read only